• 69(current)
Skin / Script Development - Updates and Support
(2015-02-18, 00:10)mxlance Wrote: @phile65
'they are based on very old code (they are basically frodo skins with some hacks to get them workin on Helix)"

just curious but does this statement include bignoid's aeon nox 5 or are you only referring to the nox 4 mods?

thanks

No, Aeon Nox 5 is completely rewritten and makes use of all latest skinning features + has a maintainer who knows how everything works. It´s basically a complete new skin.

(2015-02-18, 04:22)Brimstone Wrote:
(2015-02-17, 19:17)phil65 Wrote:
(2015-02-17, 10:25)wripet Wrote: First of all, let me say thank you top phil65 for this awesome work, I just love this skin, especially the way it handles the artwork and uses extendedinfo. Just great. Been using it for a while now, and a few question arose where maybe some of you have answers.

1. I have seen other themes for Aeon Nox skins, is it possible to use them with this mod? And if yes, how?
2. I don't like some of the dark pictures the skin uses in certain views, is there an easy way to change them, maybe build my own picture theme and use it?
3. In general: is this skin still under development? Because I have found a few minor bugs, should I report them somewhere? Also, curious if we can hope for a few new features, viewtypes, etc. maybe.

1. no, all the mods are not compatible because they are based on very old code (they are basically frodo skins with some hacks to get them workin on Helix)
2. not sure which pictures you mean....
3. yes, still under development, but time is a bit limited at the moment and I also have other stuff to do concerning kodi.

hacks? I do not consider Shednox a hacked version at all. Maybe you are referring to the use of the old extendedinfo a.k.a. moreinfo script that is being used. If so, yes, I agree that there is an issue with using this outdated script.
All other changes were made to ensure the Shednox mod is fully compatible with Helix.

It´s just my humble opinion as the person who wrote the biggest parts of Nox 4 and knows the code very very well.. You don´t have to agree with me, but my opinion still stands, even without considering this script.moreinfo a.k.a. old buggy extendedinfo version.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
(2015-02-18, 18:02)ShadowTek Wrote:
(2015-02-18, 04:22)Brimstone Wrote:
(2015-02-17, 19:17)phil65 Wrote: 1. no, all the mods are not compatible because they are based on very old code (they are basically frodo skins with some hacks to get them workin on Helix)
2. not sure which pictures you mean....
3. yes, still under development, but time is a bit limited at the moment and I also have other stuff to do concerning kodi.

hacks? I do not consider Shednox a hacked version at all. Maybe you are referring to the use of the old extendedinfo a.k.a. moreinfo script that is being used. If so, yes, I agree that there is an issue with using this outdated script.
All other changes were made to ensure the Shednox mod is fully compatible with Helix.

Agree 100% (with Brimstone)

Hacks? I think not.. Shednox is 100% a Helix skin. And I have no issues at all using an older renamed version of your great extended info script (not much of it is used anyway, just the info on box sets)
if it is just the info on boxsets then it really does make even less sense to use it. the daemon part is already moved to a separate add-on since several months, script.skin.info.service.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
@phill65 - thank you for your response.
It takes a lot more for me to get upset - maybe the loss of a pet would upset me - not comments regarding a piece of software/skin. I am stating the facts; the skin is 100% Helix.
(2015-02-19, 02:56)Brimstone Wrote: It takes a lot more for me to get upset - maybe the loss of a pet would upset me - not comments regarding a piece of software/skin. I am stating the facts; the skin is 100% Helix.

depends on how you look at at it.. for the end-user it seems so probably, but the code is based on lot of outdated / unmaintained scripts, doesnt make use of several new skinning methods
(proper usage of plugin:// for list content, "colordiffuse" as an xml attribute to name some bigger ones), doesnt use proper versioning which can make it much harder to debug stuff, and a lot more.
to get an idea you can also compare filesize of the xml folder from several skins, also over time. That should give a clear indication how much skin code can get improved since Eden/Frodo.

And sorry, I pressed the "edit" button instead of "quote" on first try.
(2015-02-19, 03:17)phil65 Wrote:
(2015-02-19, 02:56)Brimstone Wrote: It takes a lot more for me to get upset - maybe the loss of a pet would upset me - not comments regarding a piece of software/skin. I am stating the facts; the skin is 100% Helix.

depends on how you look at at it.. for the end-user it seems so probably, but the code is based on lot of outdated / unmaintained scripts, doesnt make use of several new skinning methods
(proper usage of plugin:// for list content, "colordiffuse" as an xml attribute to name some bigger ones), doesnt use proper versioning which can make it much harder to debug stuff, and a lot more.
to get an idea you can also compare filesize of the xml folder from several skins, also over time. That should give a clear indication how much skin code can get improved since Eden/Frodo.

You will notice each release has updated code to address the above mentioned points and more. Right now Shedrock is about to post another update - GUI version bump 5.3.0.
The colordiffuse is on the list of things that will be updated but not a priority right now; however, you have to admit Phil, the skin is slick and the community loves it.
Thank you for developing the skin and for your continued support.
(2015-02-19, 03:43)Brimstone Wrote:

You will notice each release has updated code to address the above mentioned points and more. Right now Shedrock is about to post another update - GUI version bump 5.3.0.
The colordiffuse is on the list of things that will be updated but not a priority right now; however, you have to admit Phil, the skin is slick and the community loves it.
you have to explain what bumping some number in addon.xml has to do with improving the skin code.
(2015-02-19, 04:45)phil65 Wrote:
(2015-02-19, 03:17)phil65 Wrote: depends on how you look at at it.. for the end-user it seems so probably, but the code is based on lot of outdated / unmaintained scripts, doesnt make use of several new skinning methods

you have to explain what bumping some number in addon.xml has to do with improving the skin code.
This is just one example of the steps Shedrock has taken to improve the skin and addon functionality - OPENELEC config maybe? He has made so many other changes to improve the performance of the skin and continues to enhance it.
The wiki provides a very good explanation on "bumping some number." I suggest you review the wiki please and thanks.
hold on - just need my coffee because it is going to be a long night. - lol
(2015-02-19, 05:06)Brimstone Wrote:
(2015-02-19, 04:45)phil65 Wrote:
(2015-02-19, 03:43)Brimstone Wrote: You will notice each release has updated code to address the above mentioned points and more. Right now Shedrock is about to post another update - GUI version bump 5.3.0.
This is just one example of the steps Shedrock has taken to improve the skin and addon functionality - OPENELEC config maybe? He has made so many other changes to improve the performance of the skin and continues to enhance it.
The wiki provides a very good explanation on "bumping some number." I suggest you review the wiki please and thanks.
hold on - just need my coffee because it is going to be a long night. - lol

Lol. Did you just tell phil65 to read the wiki? He probably wrote it!
(2015-02-19, 05:06)Brimstone Wrote: The wiki provides a very good explanation on "bumping some number." I suggest you review the wiki please and thanks.
Thanks for your advice. Rofl
(2015-02-18, 12:13)mikebzh44 Wrote: Hi Phil.

Did you plan to add Live DVD case background for movieset when browsing library ?
Phil, could you just tell if I need to add this feature on my mod or you will add it ? Because I'm sure you will make a better code than mine Wink

And in includes.xml, you include this file :

Code:
<include file="script-skinshortcuts-includes.xml" />

But it's not present anymore in ZIP or on GITHUB, you have remove it ?

Thanks.
Sorry for my english, but, you know, I'm French so ...

Main HTPC : Odroid-C2 running CoreELEC with Titan Bingie
Secondary HTPC : Freebox Mini 4K running Android TV with Titan Bingie
(2015-02-19, 12:55)phil65 Wrote:
(2015-02-19, 05:06)Brimstone Wrote: The wiki provides a very good explanation on "bumping some number." I suggest you review the wiki please and thanks.
Thanks for your advice. Rofl

there you go Phil - I put a BIG smile on your face. We got to have fun.
Big Grin

When arguing about ShedNox, you should remember it is based largely on code that was started or written by phil and other members of Team Kodi. I mod things from time to time, but you can't compare the expertise of someone who is tinkering with the skin with someone who wrote it. It's always going to be a poor argument to use someone's mod as leverage to change someone's mind about an entire skin. If you want to change something, you need to be specific about features you want and why. Don't just say ShedNox is better.
(2015-02-20, 00:42)Warner306 Wrote:
(2015-02-19, 03:17)phil65 Wrote: depends on how you look at at it.. for the end-user it seems so probably, but the code is based on lot of outdated / unmaintained scripts, doesnt make use of several new skinning methods

When arguing about ShedNox, you should remember it is based largely on code that was started or written by phil and other members of Team Kodi. I mod things from time to time, but you can't compare the expertise of someone who is tinkering with the skin with someone who wrote it. It's always going to be a poor argument to use someone's mod as leverage to change someone's mind about an entire skin. If you want to change something, you need to be specific about features you want and why. Don't just say ShedNox is better.

Did I say Shednox is better?
Shednox is Aeon Nox - it is simple as that! We can say, it is hacked, wacked or cracked- whatever!!!!
It was developed by Phil and BigNoid. Neither I nor anyone is going to take credit for their work.
The new users may not understand that the features they have come to appreciate are a direct result of the work that the above mentioned individuals have done.
I am very careful when promoting the skin/mods and who receives the credit. I consistently promote the work of the 2 lead developers, Phil65 and BigNoid. I may not appreciate Phil’s negative attitude towards the effort folks are making to improve the skin, but that is a different issue. I am not here to fix someone’s attitude. If Phil wishes to whip people for continuing to use the skin, he can do that, but I will not bow down to anyone.
A little bit of encouragement and respect from a Team Kodi member would go a long way.
(2015-02-20, 02:51)Brimstone Wrote:
(2015-02-20, 00:42)Warner306 Wrote:
(2015-02-19, 03:43)Brimstone Wrote: You will notice each release has updated code to address the above mentioned points and more. Right now Shedrock is about to post another update - GUI version bump 5.3.0.

Did I say Shednox is better?
Shednox is Aeon Nox - it is simple as that! We can say, it is hacked, wacked or cracked- whatever!!!!
It was developed by Phil and BigNoid. Neither I nor anyone is going to take credit for their work.
The new users may not understand that the features they have come to appreciate are a direct result of the work that the above mentioned individuals have done.
I am very careful when promoting the skin/mods and who receives the credit. I consistently promote the work of the 2 lead developers, Phil65 and BigNoid. I may not appreciate Phil’s negative attitude towards the effort folks are making to improve the skin, but that is a different issue. I am not here to fix someone’s attitude. If Phil wishes to whip people for continuing to use the skin, he can do that, but I will not bow down to anyone.
A little bit of encouragement and respect from a Team Kodi member would go a long way.
To get that straight:
I do not have a negative attitude towards any of the mods out here, in fact it´s a pretty nice compliment how many people want to keep that skin alive, no matter what it takes. The only thing I ask for is to do things in a sane way because often I have to deal with the fallout. (you should see the amount of bug reports I receive because of some mods, then you would understand)
Re-labelling some old version of my script under a different label without even asking me how to fix the problem in the first place is definitively not sane for example. And considering the amount of work I put into some of that stuff I think I am entitled to voice my opinion concerning that, especially if someone asks me. If you´re not happy with it then why tryin to get into some discussion with me? Be happy, use what you want, but dont try to talk about stuff you barely have an idea off.
  • 69(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skin / Script Development - Updates and Support11