• 255(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Matt,

I made a post on the steam forums as you suggested, but they have no clue.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestr...812763/#p2

The only other issue I'm having is it won't detect external USB hard drives after restart 50% of the time. I'm starting to wonder if it's firmware related.

Running Ubuntu.

Also, if I switch to Windows 7 will the only real problem be the HDMI audio and having to use the audio jack instead?
I think I can live with that.
I had my first problem with the Chromebox last night. At this point I'm not sure if it's a Kodi problem, OpenElec problem or a hardware problem with the box. It started with a video freeze at two hours into a two hour and fifteen minute movie as the file was no longer caching. I had to do a hard power reboot and OpenElec and Kodi booted up fine. From that point on everything started going crazy. I was getting script errors with YouTube and other video addons. My local content would not play from my server. I reset my router and modem, disconnecting all cables and started over. Same thing. After many lock ups and freezes I encountered an error message upon rebooting with something to the effect of "Error in check disks: could not repair filesystem, dropping to debug shell, try to run 'fsck' manually: *** ### Starting debugging shell...type exit to quit ### sh: can't access tty; job control turned off #"

Apparently this means it tried to do an automatic check disk and failed. I found this error in the wiki and it recommended you do the check disk manually as follows:

For a dual-boot setup (which I have)
fsck /dev/sda6 (enter)
fsck /dev/sda7 (enter)

After each one is run you type "reboot" and hit enter. The file system should boot normally.

I tried this several times and sda6 came back clean. sda7 showed having error and I followed the prompts Y/N to try to repair it. I got another message something to the effect of it still having errors and was 0.1% in error or something like that. This time I rebooted through typing that prompt and it booted right into OpenElec and Kodi as usual.

I was able to access my local content again and YouTube appeared to be working. I tried some other addons and it seemed as if the HD hosts were not working and while some files played, I continued to get lockups just trying to access the host.

Any suggestions as to what I should try next?
(2015-03-13, 14:46)Reb313 Wrote: Matt,

The only other issue I'm having is it won't detect external USB hard drives after restart 50% of the time. I'm starting to wonder if it's firmware related.

Running Ubuntu.

Also, if I switch to Windows 7 will the only real problem be the HDMI audio and having to use the audio jack instead?

yeah sorry I can't be more help, not a steam user.

When you say it doesn't detect the hard drive after restart, do you mean it's not detected at boot (ie, doesn't appear in the boot menu) or not detected by the OS?

You can run Win8.1 but not Win7, and yes HDMI audio is the only glaring issue. But I haven't used it enough to know if any other smaller ones.

(2015-03-13, 15:11)dropzone7 Wrote: Apparently this means it tried to do an automatic check disk and failed. I found this error in the wiki and it recommended you do the check disk manually as follows:

fsck /dev/sda6 (enter)
fsck /dev/sda7 (enter)

After each one is run you type "reboot" and hit enter. The file system should boot normally.

I tried this several times and sda6 came back clean. sda7 showed having error and I followed the prompts Y/N to try to repair it. I got another message something to the effect of it still having errors and was 0.1% in error or something like that. This time I rebooted through typing that prompt and it booted right into OpenElec and Kodi as usual.

I was able to access my local content again and YouTube appeared to be working. I tried some other addons and it seemed as if the HD hosts were not working and while some files played, I continued to get lockups just trying to access the host.

you reboot after running the fsck on both partitions, not after each one. Too many variables when streaming from internet sources to say if it's at all related, and I'm guessing whatever add-ons you are using are not for legal content, so really can't help there. I'd probably reload OE (redo 2nd part of dual boot setup) and start fresh
(2015-03-13, 18:38)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-03-13, 14:46)Reb313 Wrote: Matt,

Running Ubuntu.

yeah sorry I can't be more help, not a steam user.

When you say it doesn't detect the hard drive after restart, do you mean it's not detected at boot (ie, doesn't appear in the boot menu) or not detected by the OS?

You can run Win8.1 but not Win7, and yes HDMI audio is the only glaring issue. But I haven't used it enough to know if any other smaller ones.

(2015-03-13, 15:11)dropzone7 Wrote: Apparently this means it tried to do an automatic check disk and failed. I found this error in the wiki and it recommended you do the check disk manually as follows:

fsck /dev/sda6 (enter)
fsck /dev/sda7 (enter)

you reboot after running the fsck on both partitions, not after each one. Too many variables when streaming from internet sources to say if it's at all related, and I'm guessing whatever add-ons you are using are not for legal content, so really can't help there. I'd probably reload OE (redo 2nd part of dual boot setup) and start fresh

Any reason why Windows 7 won't work?
Please help! I have an ASUS Chromebox M004U. I followed the steps and was getting the "Booting from Hard Disk..." message.. Then I read in the troubleshooting section that I missed the Factory Reset. So I burned the image using the Chrome Recovery Utility, and successfully performed the Factory Reset using the media I created. However, after a reboot I'm still stuck on the black load screen.. here's what it says..

Quote:Booting from Hard Disk...
early console in decompress_kernel
KASLR using RDRAND...

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... Performing relocations... done.
Booting the kernel.
[0.257354] [drm:i915_write32] *ERROR* Unknown unclaimed register before writing to a090
[0.949654] usb 1-4: string descriptor 0 malformed (err = -61), defaulting to 0x0409
[0.973186] atkbd serio0: probe failed
[1.028559] atkbd serio1: probe failed

And then it just hangs there.. I've tried the factory reset 3 times already with different media. What am I doing wrong?

I am attempting the dual boot setup, OpenELEC/Chrome

UPDATE: I was able to get it working finally... Was able to do a CTRL+D to get back into Chrome, then do the resinstall. Now that the Factory Reset had been complete its working fine.
(2015-03-13, 19:59)Reb313 Wrote: Any reason why Windows 7 won't work?

because it requires a lot more ACPI workarounds in firmware that Win8, and nobody is interested in spending the time/effort to make it work

(2015-03-13, 20:26)nulllvalue Wrote: Please help! I have an ASUS Chromebox M004U. I followed the steps and was getting the "Booting from Hard Disk..." message.. Then I read in the troubleshooting section that I missed the Factory Reset. So I burned the image using the Chrome Recovery Utility, and successfully performed the Factory Reset using the media I created. However, after a reboot I'm still stuck on the black load screen.. here's what it says..

[snip]

And then it just hangs there.. I've tried the factory reset 3 times already with different media. What am I doing wrong?

and what did you do after the factory reset? As explained in the wiki, the factory reset completely erases/re-images the hard drive. So now you have to redo the dual-boot setup, following the steps in the correct order.
(2015-03-13, 22:29)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-03-13, 19:59)Reb313 Wrote: Any reason why Windows 7 won't work?

because it requires a lot more ACPI workarounds in firmware that Win8, and nobody is interested in spending the time/effort to make it work

(2015-03-13, 20:26)nulllvalue Wrote: Please help! I have an ASUS Chromebox M004U. I followed the steps and was getting the "Booting from Hard Disk..." message.. Then I read in the troubleshooting section that I missed the Factory Reset. So I burned the image using the Chrome Recovery Utility, and successfully performed the Factory Reset using the media I created. However, after a reboot I'm still stuck on the black load screen.. here's what it says..

[snip]

and what did you do after the factory reset? As explained in the wiki, the factory reset completely erases/re-images the hard drive. So now you have to redo the dual-boot setup, following the steps in the correct order.

Makes sense.

I'm gonna try out Windows 8 and I'll let you know if that fixes the streaming issue. If it does, we'll know it's an Ubuntu problem.
What driver do I need to make the analog port work on Windows 8?

Also, any way to make Windows 8 not take up the entire hard drive?
(2015-03-14, 20:34)Reb313 Wrote: What driver do I need to make the analog port work on Windows 8?

Also, any way to make Windows 8 not take up the entire hard drive?

questions for the 'Windows on a ChromeBox' thread for sure
update, steam streaming works perfectly from Windows 8.1

Not sure why it jacks up so bad in Ubuntu.
(2015-03-14, 22:42)Reb313 Wrote: update, steam streaming works perfectly from Windows 8.1

Not sure why it jacks up so bad in Ubuntu.

there are lots of possible reasons (drivers, kernel, Steam itself), none of which have anything to do with my script or firmware Smile You could always try it with SteamOS I suppose
Matt,
I know this isn't specifically a thread for install on Chromebooks. I was having trouble with the install today since I was unable to boot from legacy device (CTRL-L) once everything was complete. I finally saw that by default on the ACER C720 chromebook that booting from the legacy bios is disabled by default. The following had to be run from command
Code:
sudo crossystem dev_boot_legacy=1
Do you think it is proper to add warning to the first post? I finally found it on the following page: http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/deve...chromebook
(2015-03-15, 00:22)ardsavac Wrote: Matt,
I know this isn't specifically a thread for install on Chromebooks. I was having trouble with the install today since I was unable to boot from legacy device (CTRL-L) once everything was complete. I finally saw that by default on the ACER C720 chromebook that booting from the legacy bios is disabled by default. The following had to be run from command
Code:
sudo crossystem dev_boot_legacy=1
Do you think it is proper to add warning to the first post? I finally found it on the following page: http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/deve...chromebook

my script automatically enables the legacy boot mode via that command as part of updating the legacy BIOS (for ChromeBooks as well as ChromeBoxes), which is done automatically during a dual boot setup, so I don't see a need to mention it specifically.
Anybody running retroarch on their chromebox with oe+kodi?

I have SNES emulating great, pcsx_rearmed goes through startup, and lets me select "New Game"... then crashes after the intros... done this on both games i've tried (FF7 and FF9).
(2015-03-15, 17:03)Travisc Wrote: Anybody running retroarch on their chromebox with oe+kodi?

I have SNES emulating great, pcsx_rearmed goes through startup, and lets me select "New Game"... then crashes after the intros... done this on both games i've tried (FF7 and FF9).
Is there a for-dummies guide to installing retroarch and stuff on Kodi? I've got a lot of old emulator stuff I'd love to use on the Chromebox but the guides I've seen, are not easy enough to grasp with so little spare time..
  • 255(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37