• 289(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Add them back in one section at a time and see which is causing the issue. Mine is the same but without the two import lines (don't think they are needed with a shared library)
Boot a regular linux distro from USB.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Problem with standalone install on Dell Chromebox OS 42.0.2311.135 (64 bit)
Firmware Google Tricky 5859.12.0

Following instructions for a standalone setup … removed screw. Put the box in developer mode, thought I downloaded and ran EZsetup script, the text was only partially visible but able to select option #6 . 8GB external USB drive failed to collect install media or any backup of current stock firmware. External USB drive was previously used in a windows PC.

Now at startup I get a screen “OS verification is off” after a few seconds 2 beeps and it goes to Chrome. Doing a CTRL-D or CTRL-L before does not change this. I can browse the internet and Wi-Fi is working. Unsure what to do next.
Living Legend, have you forgotten an < here?
"advancedsettings>"
| myHTPC |
(2015-05-05, 08:30)sfa303 Wrote: Problem with standalone install on Dell Chromebox OS 42.0.2311.135 (64 bit)
Firmware Google Tricky 5859.12.0

Following instructions for a standalone setup … removed screw. Put the box in developer mode, thought I downloaded and ran EZsetup script, the text was only partially visible but able to select option #6 . 8GB external USB drive failed to collect install media or any backup of current stock firmware. External USB drive was previously used in a windows PC.

Now at startup I get a screen “OS verification is off” after a few seconds 2 beeps and it goes to Chrome. Doing a CTRL-D or CTRL-L before does not change this. I can browse the internet and Wi-Fi is working. Unsure what to do next.

ok, a couple things:

- you can't use the same USB stick for the OpenELEC installation media and the firmware backup. The former completely wipes the USB, and the latter expects an already-formatted FAT/FAT32 usb stick.
- if you're seeing the developer mode boot screen, you didn't install the standalone firmware (option 5), so re-download/re-run the script.
- use a PC monitor to set things up so you can read everything/see what you're doing, or figure out how to turn off your TV's overscan
anyone looking for an extra chromebox?
(2015-05-05, 08:36)-DDD- Wrote: Living Legend, have you forgotten an < here?
"advancedsettings>"

Good catch, but no, I just missed that on the copy and paste!

I'll start removing lines and see what happens.

How can I access my advancedsettings.xml file now that I can't boot into openelec and ssh into it?
(2015-05-05, 16:01)Living Legend Wrote: Good catch, but no, I just missed that on the copy and paste!

I'll start removing lines and see what happens.

How can I access my advancedsettings.xml file now that I can't boot into openelec and ssh into it?

as nickr said, just boot another Linux Live USB
I will give this a shot. Does the chromebox default boot from USB? Looks like I'll have to get into dev mode and enable this.
(2015-05-05, 16:21)Living Legend Wrote: I will give this a shot. Does the chromebox default boot from USB?

only if you selected that option during the firmware install/update. Older firmware versions didn't have that option, in which case you'd need to hit 'ESC' then select the USB stick from the list (likely #2)
(2015-05-05, 16:32)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-05-05, 16:21)Living Legend Wrote: I will give this a shot. Does the chromebox default boot from USB?

only if you selected that option during the firmware install/update. Older firmware versions didn't have that option, in which case you'd need to hit 'ESC' then select the USB stick from the list (likely #2)

I have a lubunutu USB stick. I can boot from it and select "try lubuntu" but then it automatically reboots. I'm not supposed to select install lubuntu am I?

Maybe I need to try a different Linux OS.
(2015-05-05, 16:59)Living Legend Wrote: I have a lubunutu USB stick. I can boot from it and select "try lubuntu" but then it automatically reboots. I'm not supposed to select install lubuntu am I?

The purpose of booting that USB live stick was to get you to the point where you could 'mount' your Openelec root partition and modify the kodi advancedsettings.xml document.
Can you install oe on an usb stick and edit it on another pc then?
| myHTPC |
(2015-05-05, 20:38)-DDD- Wrote: Can you install oe on an usb stick and edit it on another pc then?

of course you can, as long as that PC is running an OS that can mount an ext4 partition
(2015-05-05, 17:03)jwegman Wrote:
(2015-05-05, 16:59)Living Legend Wrote: I have a lubunutu USB stick. I can boot from it and select "try lubuntu" but then it automatically reboots. I'm not supposed to select install lubuntu am I?

The purpose of booting that USB live stick was to get you to the point where you could 'mount' your Openelec root partition and modify the kodi advancedsettings.xml document.

I understand now. I will give this a shot.
  • 289(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37