• 312(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2015-06-10, 16:12)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-06-10, 14:18)sd26 Wrote: Hi

I have updated the firmware on my Asus Chromebox to 20150604 and have lost wired networking. The box takes 5 minutes + to get to the bios screen and boots with no wired network. Is there a way to downgrade or reinstall the firmware(if you think that will help)? I am running Openelec 5.95.1.

Cheers

hmmm, since you're the 2nd person to report this, it would appear to not be a fluke, though I can't reproduce it myself on any of the boxes I have here. You can always boot a Linux live USB and re-run the script to re-flash the firmware and see if that helps. I'll look into the issue some more.

potentially the third. roor's post seems like it could be experiencing the same. i wish i could remember which firmware i was upgrading from so you'd could at least have that to go off of.

@sd26 were you also upgrading from a firmware without the unique mac address saved?
(2015-06-10, 16:36)furii Wrote: potentially the third. roor's post seems like it could be experiencing the same. i wish i could remember which firmware i was upgrading from so you'd could at least have that to go off of.

@sd26 were you also upgrading from a firmware without the unique mac address saved?

roor started with stock firmware, but hard to tell what happened after that. But there's nothing fancy about the MAC address assignment - it simply checks for the VPD (vital product data) from the stock firmware, and if that doesn't exist, uses a default value. There's nothing that would cause the ethernet connection to stop working due to the lack of the VPD.
(2015-06-09, 20:35)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-06-09, 20:13)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-06-09, 20:02)wallympls Wrote: Hi Devo.

Actually I am one step ahead of you and did re-run the dual boot setup. I am using the stable OE.

what size partition did you set?

I just reset my system and did the dual boot setup with OE stable (5.0.8) and a 6gb partition and had no issues. If there's an error at any point it should be reported on the screen - are you not seeing anything like that during the install?

Hi Devo,
I set it for 8. Installed Chrome/OpenElec. Kernal not found. Should I take it out of developer mode after installation?
(2015-06-10, 18:06)wallympls Wrote:
(2015-06-09, 20:35)Matt Devo Wrote: I just reset my system and did the dual boot setup with OE stable (5.0.8) and a 6gb partition and had no issues. If there's an error at any point it should be reported on the screen - are you not seeing anything like that during the install?

Hi Devo,
I set it for 8. Installed Chrome/OpenElec. Kernal not found. Should I take it out of developer mode after installation?

do a factory reset with the recovery media, then redo the OE dual boot setup. I'm guessing you did the OE dual boot setup after having done a Ubuntu one, which could cause this issue since the OE system partition wouldn't exist/be the correct size.
Thanks, I will give it a shot and report back.
(2015-06-10, 08:35)Digi8 Wrote: How do I enable developer mode without wiping my data? Also, I haven't changed anything since the last time I was able to dual boot.

you don't, but I'm only speculating that's the issue, and it's possible you or someone else hit [space] to exit developer mode without realizing it (which I've now tweaked the script to prevent). I suppose you could always log into ChromeOS, open a browser window, and hit [CTRL-T]. If you're still in developer mode, that should give you a limited terminal, if not, it won't, and you'll need to re-enable it.

Thanks for the help. When I log into ChromeOS, open a browser window and hit [CTRL-T], it opens a new tab. If I hit [CTRL-ALT-T], it opens up crosh but it doesn't recognize the "SHELL" command. Does this mean I'm in developer mode? If only I could get to the EZ setup and change the boot option.
(2015-06-10, 20:09)Digi8 Wrote: Thanks for the help. When I log into ChromeOS, open a browser window and hit [CTRL-T], it opens a new tab. If I hit [CTRL-ALT-T], it opens up crosh but it doesn't recognize the "SHELL" command. Does this mean I'm in developer mode? If only I could get to the EZ setup and change the boot option.

then you're not in developer mode
DocG thank you so much for the help that got it. I'll do a better job of searching next time rookie mistake!

(2015-06-05, 00:56)DocG Wrote:
(2015-06-05, 00:13)dumb1 Wrote: Hello,
First post. I tried searching but can't seem to find any topics on my issue. Installed openelec and kodi on a Asus Chromebox in a dual boot configuration. Love the setup but out of nowhere I booted the Chromebox up and get this message. "Error in check_disks: could not repair filesystem, dropping to debugging shell, try to run fsck manually Starting debugging shell... type exit to quit ### can't access tty: job control turned off." Can someone please help me repair my openelec install? I do not know linux hence the username I chose. Weird thing is i can boot to Chrome OS with no problems so somethings has to be wrong with the Openelec partition. Also not sure if this is related or not but we did have a power surge a few nights ago I don't know if that is coincidence or what. I don't know how to run that fsck command either.

Please Help and TIA!

From the wiki:

Quote:OpenELEC Fails to boot:

If the OS isn't shutdown cleanly, sometimes a filesystem check (fsck) will be automatically performed. In some cases, the automatic repair is unsuccessful, and an error will show:

***Error in check_disks: could not repair filesystem, dropping to debug shell, try to run 'fsck' manually: ***
### Starting debugging shell... type exit to quit ###
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
#_

In this case, simply run fsck manually as instructed, using the following commands, hitting [enter] after each:

For a standalone setup:

fsck /dev/sda1
fsck /dev/sda2

For a dual-boot setup:

fsck /dev/sda6
fsck /dev/sda7

After the fsck is run, type 'reboot' then hit [enter] and the system should boot normally.
(2015-06-10, 16:36)furii Wrote:

I have updated the firmware on my Asus Chromebox to 20150604 and have lost wired networking. The box takes 5 minutes + to get to the bios screen and boots with no wired network. Is there a way to downgrade or reinstall the firmware(if you think that will help)? I am running Openelec 5.95.1.

Cheers

hmmm, since you're the 2nd person to report this, it would appear to not be a fluke, though I can't reproduce it myself on any of the boxes I have here. You can always boot a Linux live USB and re-run the script to re-flash the firmware and see if that helps. I'll look into the issue some more.

potentially the third. roor's post seems like it could be experiencing the same. i wish i could remember which firmware i was upgrading from so you'd could at least have that to go off of.

Yes I was upgrading without the unique mac address saved? = Failure extracting MAC address from current firmware; default will be used
(2015-06-10, 08:35)Digi8 Wrote: How do I enable developer mode without wiping my data? Also, I haven't changed anything since the last time I was able to dual boot.

you don't, but I'm only speculating that's the issue, and it's possible you or someone else hit [space] to exit developer mode without realizing it (which I've now tweaked the script to prevent). I suppose you could always log into ChromeOS, open a browser window, and hit [CTRL-T]. If you're still in developer mode, that should give you a limited terminal, if not, it won't, and you'll need to re-enable it.

Cheers

I couldn't get the escape key to work and it takes 5 minutes to appear so I ssh to Openelec and modify the update script so it would reflash the firmware (I removed the exit when checking version) now I get "coreboot firmware download checksum fail; download corrupted, cannot flash." Can you please provide a script to roll back to a previous version of the firmware.

Thanks
Ok I'm back with hopefully my last question:

So I've been setting up on a monitor that is 1680 x1050. I then change the resolution to 800 x 600 in order to change devices. Then I can unplug the HDMI and plug it into the TV, then changing the resolution to 1080p from there. The problem is whenever I turn it off, while plugged into the TV it won't display any picture. I'm guessing it is changing to a resolution that isn't supported on the TV. Is there a setting I am overlooking that is causing it to revert to a resolution that won't display on the TV?
(2015-06-11, 01:07)sd26 Wrote: I couldn't get the escape key to work and it takes 5 minutes to appear so I ssh to Openelec and modify the update script so it would reflash the firmware (I removed the exit when checking version) now I get "coreboot firmware download checksum fail; download corrupted, cannot flash." Can you please provide a script to roll back to a previous version of the firmware.

Thanks

try again now, uploaded a new build (20150610)

(2015-06-11, 02:24)ZHamburglar Wrote: Ok I'm back with hopefully my last question:

So I've been setting up on a monitor that is 1680 x1050. I then change the resolution to 800 x 600 in order to change devices. Then I can unplug the HDMI and plug it into the TV, then changing the resolution to 1080p from there. The problem is whenever I turn it off, while plugged into the TV it won't display any picture. I'm guessing it is changing to a resolution that isn't supported on the TV. Is there a setting I am overlooking that is causing it to revert to a resolution that won't display on the TV?

I'm really confused what you're trying to do / what the issue is. If you leave everything alone, OE should auto-detect/auto-set the proper resolution at boot. I also wouldn't expect it to display a picture after you turn the box off ;-)
Okay making some progress here. Now when I boot to OpenElec I get a black screen instead of Kernal not found.

I would say that may be better.

Any advice ?

My steps were:
Reflashed with recovery USB
6 gb partition
selected Chrome/Open Elec
set boot options to open elec after 30 seconds
(2015-06-11, 03:51)wallympls Wrote: Okay making some progress here. Now when I boot to OpenElec I get a black screen instead of Kernal not found.

I would say that may be better.

Any advice ?

My steps were:
Reflashed with recovery USB
6 gb partition
selected Chrome/Open Elec
set boot options to open elec after 30 seconds

you ran the dual boot setup twice, correct? Once to partition, once to install OpenELEC?
Updated version didn't work. Same result 5 minutes to boot and no LAN. Please make as script so I can revert to a prior to 20140604 version as I've had no trouble in the past. Thanks.
  • 312(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37