• 320(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Ok, I thought I knew how to boot to USB. After I wrote the ISO to a USB stick, I have no way to boot from it once it is in my chromebox. I tried pressing escape and also control d, but that doesn;t give me an option to boot from the USB. How do I do this. Shouldn't it immediately recognize the USB drive and boot from it?

Here is what the file structure on my USB drive looks like:

Kind of strange, should this boot? USB drive is FAT32
(2015-06-21, 23:35)memenow Wrote: Ok, I thought I knew how to boot to USB. After I wrote the ISO to a USB stick, I have no way to boot from it once it is in my chromebox. I tried pressing escape and also control d, but that doesn;t give me an option to boot from the USB. How do I do this. Shouldn't it immediately recognize the USB drive and boot from it?

Kind of strange, should this boot? USB drive is FAT32

from the wiki:

Quote:If you have a standalone setup:
- If you see the 'Press ESC for boot menu' text but pressing it doesn't work, then the issue is your keyboard, so try using a different one.
- If you don't see the 'Press ESC for boot menu' text, then the issue is with your boot media, so try using a different USB flash drive.

If you problem doesn't fall into one of the two cases above, then you need to tell us what exactly the problem is, because "won't boot" isn't useful for troubleshooting.

also, [CTRL-D] has no function outside of the developer mode boot screen on the ChromeOS firmware. And, with my custom firmware, booting from USB by default is a selectable option when flashing the firmware, otherwise you have to select it from the boot menu.
Hi there,

I have been using Kodi on my HP Chromebox with a dual boot setup for some weeks now.
I recently added a DTS-CD (wav) to my library. Unfortunately it seems that is not supported and Kodi crashed the instance the file has been added to the library.
I had to hard reset it.
Now what happened is that Kodi is not booting anymore. The ChromeOs installation is still working fine but Kodi tells me this:

Code:
Booting from hard disk...
It appears your computer has only 639k of low ("DOS") RAM.
This version of Syslinux needs 9k to boot.
If you get this message in error, hold down the Ctrl key while booting, and I will take your word for it.
Boot error.

How to solve this?

Holding Ctrl while booting does not help either.
It starts to boot and then nothing happens.
It tells me:

"Booting"

and stays there forever. Seems like the filesystem structure was damaged. Or might it be a corrupted Kodi DB?
(2015-06-23, 11:28)monsen Wrote: Hi there,

I have been using Kodi on my HP Chromebox with a dual boot setup for some weeks now.
I recently added a DTS-CD (wav) to my library. Unfortunately it seems that is not supported and Kodi crashed the instance the file has been added to the library.
I had to hard reset it.
Now what happened is that Kodi is not booting anymore. The ChromeOs installation is still working fine but Kodi tells me this:

normally that error only occurs when you are pressing CTRL-<something> after SeaBIOS starts, which you shouldn't do. Are you getting this error without any keyboard interaction?

Quote:How to solve this?

Holding Ctrl while booting does not help either.
It starts to boot and then nothing happens.
It tells me:

"Booting"

and stays there forever. Seems like the filesystem structure was damaged. Or might it be a corrupted Kodi DB?

what seems most likely is that the bootloader got messed up, not the OS itself (which is a read-only image), or anything Kodi-related. You basically have two options: 1) re-install OpenELEC using the EZ Setup Script (this won't affect ChromeOS at all, but will erase your Kodi user data), or 2) boot ChromeOS, mount the OE partitions, and try to fix things manually (which would require you to msg me on IRC or google hangouts to walk you thru it)
Wink 
Quote:normally that error only occurs when you are pressing CTRL-<something> after SeaBIOS starts, which you shouldn't do. Are you getting this error without any keyboard interaction?

I am not sure if i get you here. I start the device by powering on. Then i press Ctrl + L to tell it to boot my Kodi. Then i wait and do nothing and get the described message about 639K RAM.

Quote:what seems most likely is that the bootloader got messed up, not the OS itself (which is a read-only image), or anything Kodi-related. You basically have two options: 1) re-install OpenELEC using the EZ Setup Script (this won't affect ChromeOS at all, but will erase your Kodi user data), or 2) boot ChromeOS, mount the OE partitions, and try to fix things manually (which would require you to msg me on IRC or google hangouts to walk you thru it)

Thanks for leting me know the options. I am totally ok with only reinstalling Kodi. The configuration in Kodi is done quite quick. I will then do a backup of it so i have it handy for any future upcoming similar events Smile
(2015-06-23, 17:34)monsen Wrote: I am not sure if i get you here. I start the device by powering on. Then i press Ctrl + L to tell it to boot my Kodi. Then i wait and do nothing and get the described message about 639K RAM.

I'm saying the majority of the time, that error is the result of the user pressing keys too late in the boot process.

Quote:Thanks for leting me know the options. I am totally ok with only reinstalling Kodi. The configuration in Kodi is done quite quick. I will then do a backup of it so i have it handy for any future upcoming similar events Smile

Yeah, just re-run the script and reinstall and you should be good to go
Hi guys, I just did a quick search and couldn't see this posted before but I thought I'd try suspending my HP chromebox (to save a little electric) and everytime I resume from the wake button on my remote the cpu0 runs at 100% until I restart?! Has anybody else run into this issue and is there an easy solution? Thanks

edit. Oh I should mention I'm running OpenELEC standalone firmware. Thanks
(2015-06-23, 19:29)YippeeKaiay Wrote: Hi guys, I just did a quick search and couldn't see this posted before but I thought I'd try suspending my HP chromebox (to save a little electric) and everytime I resume from the wake button on my remote the cpu0 runs at 100% until I restart?! Has anybody else run into this issue and is there an easy solution? Thanks

firmware version? OpenELEC version?
(2015-06-23, 19:35)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-06-23, 19:29)YippeeKaiay Wrote: Hi guys, I just did a quick search and couldn't see this posted before but I thought I'd try suspending my HP chromebox (to save a little electric) and everytime I resume from the wake button on my remote the cpu0 runs at 100% until I restart?! Has anybody else run into this issue and is there an easy solution? Thanks

firmware version? OpenELEC version?

2015-06-04 openelec beta 2

I remember trying it when I first got the chromebox back in feb/March (whatever latest openelec was back then) and had the same issue so didnt bother with suspend so would have been on that firmware aswel. I recently updated because you modified the fan speeds
(2015-06-23, 20:30)YippeeKaiay Wrote: 2015-06-04 openelec beta 2

I remember trying it when I first got the chromebox back in feb/March (whatever latest openelec was back then) and had the same issue so didnt bother with suspend so would have been on that firmware aswel. I recently updated because you modified the fan speeds

I'm not able to replicate that here with a clean install of OpenELEC 5.95.2 and the latest firmware (2015-06-18). I can suspend/resume repeatedly, and CPU usage is normal upon resume. The fan does blast on high for a few seconds, but that's due to some recent ACPI changes in the Linux kernel, not the firmware.
(2015-06-23, 20:57)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-06-23, 20:30)YippeeKaiay Wrote: 2015-06-04 openelec beta 2

I'm not able to replicate that here with a clean install of OpenELEC 5.95.2 and the latest firmware (2015-06-18). I can suspend/resume repeatedly, and CPU usage is normal upon resume. The fan does blast on high for a few seconds, but that's due to some recent ACPI changes in the Linux kernel, not the firmware.

Damn! Must be an issue my side then. Would a debug log help or will it not show this info?

What's the best way to clean install? Update the firmware using curl -L -O https://goo.gl/SoCQtG then hard reset??
(2015-06-23, 21:07)YippeeKaiay Wrote: What's the best way to clean install? Update the firmware using curl -L -O https://goo.gl/SoCQtG then hard reset??

correct.
(2015-06-23, 21:20)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-06-23, 21:07)YippeeKaiay Wrote: What's the best way to clean install? Update the firmware using curl -L -O https://goo.gl/SoCQtG then hard reset??

correct.

Ok I've messed around a little and it seems I can make it do this by putting on debug to see the cpu, restarting and and when the cpu settles putting it into suspend and the waking it straight away. It only goes to 100% for about 2 mins and then drops. Is this normal behavior and will it cause unnecessary ware to the cpu??

Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me Smile
(2015-06-23, 21:49)YippeeKaiay Wrote: Ok I've messed around a little and it seems I can make it do this by putting on debug to see the cpu, restarting and and when the cpu settles putting it into suspend and the waking it straight away. It only goes to 100% for about 2 mins and then drops. Is this normal behavior and will it cause unnecessary ware to the cpu??

Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me Smile

I'm not seeing that, I'm seeing mostly single digit CPU usage (with spikes to 10-12%) on both cores when resuming from suspend with debug logging enabled
Ok did a search for this and couldn't find it. I installed the stand alone Kodibutnu and I'm trying to figure out how to make the PS3 remote link with my Asus chrome box? I have tried hitting enter and start but nothing happens? Do I have to enable blutooth somewhere?
  • 320(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37