• 25(current)
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]
Strange. That is the exact same one I ordered that worked. I originally bought a very similar one that had a slightly slimmer connector which dis not work. I must say.. Make sure the dp connector is pushed right in..press the compression clips in and ensure it is pushed all the way in. Only thing I can suggest. Unless it's just hit and miss on these cheaper cables due to poor quality control when they were made.
I tried it with 2 different HDMI cables and I used the same adapter/cable/screen combo with another PC and it worked fine. This sucks :'(

I'm trying to connect to a video/audio Onkyo amp, maybe that's the problem? I have a few other cables I can try. I'll keep swapping cables and see what that gets me. I'll probably try and buy a DVI to HDMI direct cable, without adapter, if everything fails.

Will keep reading here for any advice, and will update whenever I have some news.
"Automobiles have been the best mêlée weapons to use against monsters since the 50s." - Atomic Robo
Mine is also hooked up to a Onkyo amp with the same displayport adapter. I haven't had any issues.

I seem to recall you need to have the amp on, set to the appropriate input with the TV on before booting the device. Otherwise I think it may default to another display output.

I don't mean to be patronising, just sharing my experience with this adapter and HP unit.
Yep - my 260 G1 is working fine into an Onkyo AVR (TX-NR616) via a Displayport adaptor. As decpvr has said it is usually important to have the PC routed to the TV and the TV selected to the right input on power up so that the EDID conversation between the PC and the TV takes place properly (and the correct resolutions and audio support are negotiated)

Older Onkyo amps have a funny issue with some PCs in that they only work reliably when connected to the HDMI 1 input (sometimes called DVD) on an Onkyo amp. I remember spending ages trying to troubleshoot issues before I discovered this...
OK, tried 4 different cables, on 3 different inputs on the amp, and also directly connected to the TV... no luck. Shutting down each time and switching the cables, turning amp and tv on, then turning on the pc. Nothing worked.

I connected a VGA screen at the same time and there is nothing detected on the second output.

I uninstalled the graphics driver, allowed it to reinstall automatically... and it finally displayed something on the DP output! But it quickly disappeared after reboot and can't get it to work again :'(

For those who got it working, do you see the POST messages and BIOS and stuff or do you have to wait for the OS to boot to see anything? Could you give me your BIOS version? Maybe updating the BIOS mucked something up?
"Automobiles have been the best mêlée weapons to use against monsters since the 50s." - Atomic Robo
With mine I do see the post messages and BIOS menu.

It sounds like there could be an issue with your unit?

EDIT:- I'll have to check on my BIOS version and get back to you in that one.
(2015-07-18, 13:49)LarrxX Wrote: OK, tried 4 different cables, on 3 different inputs on the amp, and also directly connected to the TV... no luck. Shutting down each time and switching the cables, turning amp and tv on, then turning on the pc. Nothing worked.

I connected a VGA screen at the same time and there is nothing detected on the second output.

I uninstalled the graphics driver, allowed it to reinstall automatically... and it finally displayed something on the DP output! But it quickly disappeared after reboot and can't get it to work again :'(

For those who got it working, do you see the POST messages and BIOS and stuff or do you have to wait for the OS to boot to see anything? Could you give me your BIOS version? Maybe updating the BIOS mucked something up?

I see all the post and BIOS messages on the Displayport output via my DP to HDMI converter, and routed through my Onkyo amp to my Sony TV. I am currently away from my machine but will confirm BIOS version when I get back. I've not upgraded - the BIOS is as supplied.
OK, so it's definitely a hardware/BIOS problem on my side, and not just a video card driver. I hope it's the adapter and not something more insidious.

I'll try buying another adapter later today while I wait to hear from you abuot your BIOS version. Not sure if it's possible to downgrade the BIOS if I need to though Sad
I've just checked my BIOS;

It's revision: PIP v02.04
BIOS date: 01/30/2015

Hope that helps?!
(2015-07-18, 14:41)LarrxX Wrote: OK, so it's definitely a hardware/BIOS problem on my side, and not just a video card driver. I hope it's the adapter and not something more insidious.

I'll try buying another adapter later today while I wait to hear from you abuot your BIOS version. Not sure if it's possible to downgrade the BIOS if I need to though Sad

Do you have access to a Displayport monitor - that would be worth a try?
(2015-07-18, 14:45)decpvr Wrote: I've just checked my BIOS;

It's revision: PIP v02.04
BIOS date: 01/30/2015

Hope that helps?!
My BIOS is the latest version (PIP v02.05 03/31/2015). Found the v02.04 earlier version on the HP website, but it won't install. Guess downgrading is not an option.

(2015-07-18, 14:50)noggin Wrote: Do you have access to a Displayport monitor - that would be worth a try?
Guess I forgot to mention that it works flawlessly on a Displayport monitor with a standard displayport cable. That's why I really think it's an adapter problem and not something else (although it's weird the adapter works on another PC which in turn might indicate some sort of BIOS/hardware incompatibility).
Hi guys. Many thanks for the help.

MY ram has arrived today from Amazon via no rush delivery.. it was quick.
I think what I will do is set Windows up and run the updates etc. I then shall do a backup on another usb as I do not have a spare ssd. Secondly, I will install Openelec on a usb device and then when I shall get the time, I shall try to allow the Usb to run openelec. I dont want to lose windows, so I will keep it on the ssd and I may get a sata cable or may just go for a small external drive.

Thanks guys. You guys are very very helpful
Ps I will also probably connect mine to my Onkyo amp. Hope I don't have any probs
If you're thinking about installing a 2.5" internal ssd/HDD the data connection is non-standard so you need a special order cable. There's links to suppliers earlier in this thread (although apparently the HP site quoted it as being out of stock).
Just bought a 19€ adapter from a local store, and it works. Guess I got a bad seed from the chinese manufactured ones... It would be worth it, I think, to mention this issue nin the original post... Or is it because my model does not have the same board you guys? I doubt it, but who knows with this stuff...

And I only just notices that mediapi opened a dedicated thread for the 4GB RAM/500GB HDD model, guess I'll be posting there from now on (and it'll be a very large post with all the issues I had and my overall experience with the beast).

Thanks for everyone for your help, this community is open and helpful, it's cool to have such friendly help. I sent "Thank User"s all around, hope I didn't forget anyone Wink
  • 25(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]2