• 334(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2015-07-27, 04:53)DnhE Wrote: I chose the fast dual boot option and have been happy with the convenience. Now I'd like to change to the slow (30s) dual boot option so I can run ChromeOS; my keyboard (Logitech K400) boots up too slowly to recognize Ctrl-D before it enters Kodi. Would I have to revert to factory default and start from the beginning, i.e. exit developer mode, and re-enter it?

Thanks!
As I understand it from others' posts, the K400 doesn't work on the developer boot screen, so a longer delay wouldn't help you.

I use a Rii i8 mini keyboard, which works fine with Ctrl+D.
Dear Forum.. new to all of this but followed the instructions on the Kodi Wiki page to install on Asus Chromebox. I made an image of the Chrome OS on one USB even though was going to install as standalone. Everything, seemed to be working fine and made a another backup of the stock system before choosing option 6 for standalone install. However, after that i rebooted and now it won't start and i just get a black screen. I have tried to boot from the USB but that also doesn't work and not sure what else i can do to get this back on track .. please help .. many thanks

Forgot to also mention, when i try and do a restore it won't come up with the recovery screen.. From power off, hold a paperclip in the reset button but not getting a screen saying ChromeOS missing or damaged - instead it flashes up a bios message saying press [Esc] for boot options
(2015-07-27, 15:33)Kirit Wrote: Dear Forum.. new to all of this but followed the instructions on the Kodi Wiki page to install on Asus Chromebox. I made an image of the Chrome OS on one USB even though was going to install as standalone. Everything, seemed to be working fine and made a another backup of the stock system before choosing option 6 for standalone install. However, after that i rebooted and now it won't start and i just get a black screen. I have tried to boot from the USB but that also doesn't work and not sure what else i can do to get this back on track .. please help .. many thanks

Forgot to also mention, when i try and do a restore it won't come up with the recovery screen.. From power off, hold a paperclip in the reset button but not getting a screen saying ChromeOS missing or damaged - instead it flashes up a bios message saying press [Esc] for boot options

everything is behaving as expected, with the exception of your USB stick not booting, which the Troubleshooting section of the wiki covers. The recovery button has no function when the custom firmware has been flashed.
Hi Matt,
For some reason, my ChromeBox has stopped updating either automatically or through your ez updater.
Any reason why as all was working well until recently
I dont know if I picked the headless firmware option. Is there a way to check? If I didnt, is there a way to change it or have to reinstall?

Thanks

(2015-07-27, 06:33)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-07-27, 05:56)bigdaddyo811 Wrote: I did try a different cable.

So I hooked up the chromebox through my Onkyo 609 receiver and it works fine. Does that help figure out why it doesnt work directly?

Thanks
a

not really. did you select the headless firmware option when you flashed it?
(2015-02-02, 18:59)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-02-02, 18:43)quixers Wrote: Kodi 14.1 stable is out now. Think I'd just run the script again to upgrade the last time, I guess it hasn't been updated yet. Guess we have to wait for an updated openelec build...

the script doesn't update your OS / Kodi, it just automates the initial installation process. Your OS/Kodi are updated however they do for the OS you are running.

I have read and re-read the thread and am not sure if there is a definitive answer on how to "upgrade" the Openelec OS in a Dual Boot Chrome/OpenElec installation to get the new Kodi 15.0. As far as I can determine, it is a reinstall of the OpenElec.

Is it better to use the OpenElec upgrade function from within Openelec/Kodi or should you do a clean and install the dual boot utilizing the latest (if and when available).
(2015-07-27, 20:41)visiter555 Wrote: I have read and re-read the thread and am not sure if there is a definitive answer on how to "upgrade" the Openelec OS in a Dual Boot Chrome/OpenElec installation to get the new Kodi 15.0. As far as I can determine, it is a reinstall of the OpenElec.

Is it better to use the OpenElec upgrade function from within Openelec/Kodi or should you do a clean and install the dual boot utilizing the latest (if and when available).

The fact that you are dual booting doesn't matter one bit, you do a manual upgrade as per the OpenELEC wiki, same as on any other x86 system. Download the .tar update file, copy into the upgrade folder via SMB, then reboot.
Last weekend I worked on four brand new $129 Dell ChromeBoxes to get them to a dual boot of Chrome/Openelec.

The first one took three hours, resetting to Chrome default and trying over and over to get it going. I followed the directions to the letter, finally having a non-techie read the instructions and watch to see if I did each stem correctly and in the right order.

The second & third boxes were identical hardware and I did the install, reboot, install and added a second reboot and a third install. Worked like a charm.

The fourth box took under 15 minutes to unpack, open, remove the write protect screw, reassemble, boot, install, reboot, install, boot install and it was perfect.

I then went back to box 1 reset to factory and tested it with the two installs...fail. Reset to factory and did the install three time...success.

Weird...very weird.
(2015-07-27, 20:45)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-07-27, 20:41)visiter555 Wrote: I have read and re-read the thread and am not sure if there is a definitive answer on how to "upgrade" the Openelec OS in a Dual Boot Chrome/OpenElec installation to get the new Kodi 15.0. As far as I can determine, it is a reinstall of the OpenElec.

The fact that you are dual booting doesn't matter one bit, you do a manual upgrade as per the OpenELEC wiki, same as on any other x86 system. Download the .tar update file, copy into the upgrade folder via SMB, then reboot.

That is what I thought and did. I also tested the Openelec update option from within Kodi and it also worked on the update from .5.95.2 to 5.95.3.

Fun to learn and experiment ...
(2015-07-27, 19:58)waltbuchholz Wrote: Hi Matt,
For some reason, my ChromeBox has stopped updating either automatically or through your ez updater.
Any reason why as all was working well until recently

what stopped updating automatically? Firmware updates aren't automatic. OS updates are handled by the OS.

(2015-07-27, 20:00)bigdaddyo811 Wrote: I dont know if I picked the headless firmware option. Is there a way to check? If I didnt, is there a way to change it or have to reinstall?

just re-run the firmware update script and be sure to not choose the headless option

(2015-07-27, 21:06)visiter555 Wrote:

That is what I thought and did. I also tested the Openelec update option from within Kodi and it also worked on the update from .5.95.2 to 5.95.3.

FYI, it's explicitly listed on the ChromeBox wiki how to Update OpenELEC.
(2015-07-27, 21:41)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-07-27, 21:06)visiter555 Wrote:

FYI, it's explicitly listed on the ChromeBox wiki how to Update OpenELEC.

I understand that and followed it. I also wanted to test to see if then internal also worked and it did.

The ChromeBox information that you have put together is great and I thank you for your extraordinary efforts in that and maintaining this thread.
@visiter555: The OpenELEC distro won't update itself to a major release. So for example if you're trying to go from Helix to Isengard, you must do it yourself manually. The menus within Kodi won't do it.

An upgrade from 5.95.2 to 5.95.3 isn't a major release change.
(2015-07-28, 00:04)TonyPh12345 Wrote: @visiter555: The OpenELEC distro won't update itself to a major release. So for example if you're trying to go from Helix to Isengard, you must do it yourself manually. The menus within Kodi won't do it.

Actually, Helix stable to Isengard stable should be automatic, the main reason it wasn't for Gotham to Helix was the XBMC->Kodi name change
(2015-07-28, 00:06)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-07-28, 00:04)TonyPh12345 Wrote: @visiter555: The OpenELEC distro won't update itself to a major release. So for example if you're trying to go from Helix to Isengard, you must do it yourself manually. The menus within Kodi won't do it.

Actually, Helix stable to Isengard stable should be automatic, the main reason it wasn't for Gotham to Helix was the XBMC->Kodi name change

Good point -- We'll see when Isengard Stable is finally released.. Smile The Wiki is kinda vague in that regard: "Automatic update will not happen for a major update where system consistency across software versions cannot be guaranteed" -- but no mention if, for example, they did automatic from Frodo to Gotham.
(2015-07-27, 17:15)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-07-27, 15:33)Kirit Wrote: Dear Forum.. new to all of this but followed the instructions on the Kodi Wiki page to install on Asus Chromebox. I made an image of the Chrome OS on one USB even though was going to install as standalone. Everything, seemed to be working fine and made a another backup of the stock system before choosing option 6 for standalone install. However, after that i rebooted and now it won't start and i just get a black screen. I have tried to boot from the USB but that also doesn't work and not sure what else i can do to get this back on track .. please help .. many thanks

everything is behaving as expected, with the exception of your USB stick not booting, which the Troubleshooting section of the wiki covers. The recovery button has no function when the custom firmware has been flashed.

Thank you Matt.. creating a USB with the OpenElec boot image did the trick and the Chromebox boots up fine to Kodi now.
  • 334(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37