Apple TV 4
Time to upgrade my old iPad2 to iPadPro, mos def. The gadget I use the most, at home, in the office, on travel.

And ofcourse AppleTV4, a must have. With new tvOS & appStore (finally), will be sweet. I sold my old atv2 not that long ago for 150$ Smile
HTPC Server - Windows 8.1 + XBMC Helix | Intel QuadCore, 4GB RAM, 4 TB SATA
Intel NUC D54250WYK - Windows 8.1 + XBMC Helix | Logitech Harmony 750
Samsung UE8005 | Bluetooth keyboard & mousepad
Pretty much what I expected. They want to sell it for video games now since it didn't do well with videos..

If you have other iOS devices it's nice to have but doesn't do anything for a new customer looking for a set top box.

Really surprised Plex didn't announce a Plex app after the Apple event. Seems to be their thing lately..

If Apple let's Kodi get ported that would be great. If it can play full 1080p rips that would be great too but I doubt it will since that's how Apple has been. Nothing new around here..

The ATV4 was a big upgrade from ATV3. Of course nobody here really cares that much....except with all the upgrades and with TVos is (probably?) based on the regular iOS, chances of a future jailbreak coming is better than ever. Seriously ATV4 running Kodi with variable refreshrate (since that is a feature of iPad pro, the underlying API might be there), and the new remote control would make a really good kodi box.
Well, the new ATV was just released -
64-bit Apple A8 processor
32/64GB of storage
Wi-Fi 802.11ac with MIMO
HDMI support
USB-C support for service and support
IC receiver
10/100 Ethernet
iOS 9-based tvOS with App Store access for applications and system-wide Siri support

they have an Apple TV Developers Kit avail now so I don't see how Kodi would not be able to make an app for it. There is a Kodi avail for the Google play store, etc.
That new iPad Pro has some ponies Smile
(2015-09-09, 22:01)Soli Wrote: The ATV4 was a big upgrade from ATV3. Of course nobody here really cares that much....except with all the upgrades and with TVos is (probably?) based on the regular iOS, chances of a future jailbreak coming is better than ever. Seriously ATV4 running Kodi with variable refreshrate (since that is a feature of iPad pro, the underlying API might be there), and the new remote control would make a really good kodi box.

Agreed, Apple TV Developers Kit is now available now so I don't see how Kodi would not be able to make an app for it. hopefully the figure out a way to work with the guidelines of the App store in the same way VLC has.
For lots of various reasons, there's about zero chance of Kodi being available in the Apple store, ever. But a jailbroken device might have the chance of being the first one-box-does-it-all device (save 4K). I know the Shield box might apply to that too.. but not quite.
Oops, didn't realize this thread existed. Mods, please merge the two ATV4 threads, thanks.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
as long as python is there, forget about app store.
(2015-09-10, 00:15)MrMC Wrote: as long as python is there, forget about app store.

So if a certain talented iOS developer made a fork/version without python, while still retaining most of the core features that makes Kodi useful, then that might possibly get on the app store? ;)
Seems like a job for Davil.. no wait.. </chuckle>

Anyways, what about local storage, DTS sound licensing, and not the least that much of Kodi and addons is built around Python, etc. Let's hope that the inevitable iOS 9 jailbreak includes the ATV 4 instead.
(2015-09-09, 22:48)Soli Wrote: For lots of various reasons, there's about zero chance of Kodi being available in the Apple store, ever. But a jailbroken device might have the chance of being the first one-box-does-it-all device (save 4K). I know the Shield box might apply to that too.. but not quite.

what makes you say that? what feature does the new ATV supposedly have that Shield does not?

In my opinion Shield is still a much more powerful device.
(2015-09-10, 00:47)ozkhan1 Wrote:
(2015-09-09, 22:48)Soli Wrote: For lots of various reasons, there's about zero chance of Kodi being available in the Apple store, ever. But a jailbroken device might have the chance of being the first one-box-does-it-all device (save 4K). I know the Shield box might apply to that too.. but not quite.

what makes you say that? what feature does the new ATV supposedly have that Shield does not?

In my opinion Shield is still a much more powerful device.

Everyone has different wants and needs the only thing that has me sold is the MLB app, the shield to my knowledge is unable to do that? I maybe wrong on that
The shield is certainly good hardware. But I'll probably rot in hell before I power up an Android/Android TV device in my living room. It's just my preference (apart from the Apple ecosystem, design, siri, polish, app store, music, games etc being on another level than Android)
(2015-09-10, 00:24)Ned Scott Wrote: So if a certain talented iOS developer made a fork/version without python, while still retaining most of the core features that makes Kodi useful, then that might possibly get on the app store? Wink

Without python is that even possible? Better yet, if addons of any sort are possible doesn't that immediately disqualify Kodi from being in the app store? Serious question here, not just making a joke.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 42