• 358(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2015-09-24, 02:22)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-09-24, 02:15)Sunflux Wrote: Nothing unworkable about suspend/resume. Unless I'm not understanding the issue? Remember, you can configure Kodi so that "powering off" instead puts it into suspend, which then lets you wake it up instantly by remote. Almost all modern CE equipment does not "power off" fully, it just enters a suspend mode whether you're aware of it or not.
Busta.rhymes is having an issue where his Chromebox involuntarily and randomly resumes from suspend when he has a PS3 Bluetooth remote paired. That shouldn't happen, nor is it an issue most Chromebox + PS3 remote users are experiencing.

Yeah im just gonna try out the pulse eight cec adapter for navigating openelec and will hope that the wakeups are fully gone when i get rid of the ps3 remote.
It has to be something bluetooth related. Chromebox lists many bluetooth devices from around the area when i search. Maybe something from a neighbor is interfering with my ps3 remote signal.
Busta this is now very irrelevant to this thread. Nothing to do with Matt's script. And really you have obsessed for pages now over something that, unless you are working off grid, doesn't really matter.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I get your point, will stop going on about it as of now
Woo hoo! My Asus i3 Chromebox arrived in record time from the US... now to get this all installed, and then upgrade to Fritsch's development version of OpenElec with improved VAAPI (works really well).

Question:

Backing up the settings from one copy of OpenElec to another... what does that do or not do? Am I better just to start over from scratch? Can I at least copy the database file to get that back without having to re-customize all my sources / folders?
(2015-09-25, 02:27)Sunflux Wrote: Woo hoo! My Asus i3 Chromebox arrived in record time from the US... now to get this all installed, and then upgrade to Fritsch's development version of OpenElec with improved VAAPI (works really well).

Question:

Backing up the settings from one copy of OpenElec to another... what does that do or not do? Am I better just to start over from scratch? Can I at least copy the database file to get that back without having to re-customize all my sources / folders?

it backs up the entire storage partition essentially. There's no harm in restoring and then doing a hard reset if that doesn't work out. You can of course just manually copy the database files, but I'd be sure to copy the sources.xml as well
So ive been doing alot of reading on the chromebox and learn ALOT from everyone who have contributed to this thread. Thank you! From what i can gather, and correct if im wron, if i wanted to use the Chromebox strictly as a media player when it boots on then the best combination would be OpenELEC/KODI.

This would be used primarily to watch movies (mostly mkv files) from a NAS. Would i be able to bitstream/passthrough ATMOS audio metadata to the receiver? I think the answer is Yes, but i would like some confirmation from someone with an ATMOS setup. I would assume hdmi out from Chromebox directly into the AVR?

Once again, thank you, everyone.
(2015-09-25, 20:02)punksterz626 Wrote: So ive been doing alot of reading on the chromebox and learn ALOT from everyone who have contributed to this thread. Thank you! From what i can gather, and correct if im wron, if i wanted to use the Chromebox strictly as a media player when it boots on then the best combination would be OpenELEC/KODI.

This would be used primarily to watch movies (mostly mkv files) from a NAS. Would i be able to bitstream/passthrough ATMOS audio metadata to the receiver? I think the answer is Yes, but i would like some confirmation from someone with an ATMOS setup. I would assume hdmi out from Chromebox directly into the AVR?

Once again, thank you, everyone.
Yes to all
Quick question I don't see in this thread. When the box resumes from suspend, the fan runs at full speed for a time. Typically this seems to be 5-10 seconds before it ramps down, but other times it's much longer. Can this be changed? Is it necessary?
(2015-09-26, 11:04)Sunflux Wrote: Quick question I don't see in this thread. When the box resumes from suspend, the fan runs at full speed for a time. Typically this seems to be 5-10 seconds before it ramps down, but other times it's much longer. Can this be changed? Is it necessary?

Uhm, it's mentioned only about two dozen times... Wink
Eh, search wasn't giving me joy earlier.
(2015-05-22, 05:47)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-05-22, 05:41)FreeMan xbmc Wrote: Thanks for the quick response, Matt. Your comment about the thumbnails got me looking and thinking. I have the <useddsfanart> feature set in advancedsetting. That means that I've got duplicate files in both .jpg and .dds formats. If I delete the .jpg will Kodi run off the .dds formats, or will it go download new .jpgs for everything?

Since it's running off a SSD, I would think I could remove the <useddsfanart> setting, delete all the .dds files, and probably not see a significant decrease in speed. From a quick eyeballing, that would free up more than 50% of my Thumbnail space, since most of the .dds files are larger than their .jpg cousins.

I still think I'll end up getting a larger SSD, but this will forestall the process a bit, and possibly get me a functional box tonight. What are your thoughts?

BTW- I tried OE back around the Frodo days, I think it was, and wasn't overly impressed. Kodibuntu seems sufficient for me.

I think changing the fanart setting and removing the .dds files is worth a shot, then retry the upgrade from the command line. But if you haven't checked out OE recently, you definitely should - it is far and away the best platform for Kodi, especially on the ChromeBox. You can always run it in "live" mode from the USB installer, like many Linux distros these days
Hi Matt

thanks again for the great work - am at 1 year running flawless with the Asus Chrome Box -

-similar to thread quoted - in my situation though - after 1 year of use - the storage on the internal standard 16 gig SSD M.2 was at the 90% + range used

I was only using JPEG's as artwork in the thumbnail folder - however the folder showed a 9.1gig size

since the Chrome Box has a SD card slot - I was successful to move the thumbnails allocation to an SD card formatted to ext4 and installed in the SD card slot

added a advancedsettings xml file to to user data folder -leveraging the path substitution command

<advancedsettings>
<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://profile/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>/var/media/SD card name/Thumbnails/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

I then copied the 9.1 gig thumbnail folder to the SD card

rebooted - verified that the advanced settings - path substitution worked (checked the logs)

then deleted the content of the user data thumbnail folder on the stock internal 16 gig SSD M.2

freed up 9.1 gig of space

kindest regards
if i'm already running OpenElec with Kodi 4.2 using Matt's script, must i redownload and redo the image to upgrade to latest Kodi
(2015-09-26, 11:04)Sunflux Wrote: Quick question I don't see in this thread. When the box resumes from suspend, the fan runs at full speed for a time. Typically this seems to be 5-10 seconds before it ramps down, but other times it's much longer. Can this be changed? Is it necessary?

it's due to a change/bug in the Linux kernel which started with kernel 3.20 I believe, and ChromeBox users aren't the only ones affected. I'll add a note to the wiki and see if there's anything I can do firmware wise to mitigate it for now.

(2015-09-26, 21:09)walkerx Wrote: if i'm already running OpenElec with Kodi 4.2 using Matt's script, must i redownload and redo the image to upgrade to latest Kodi

no, just download the update (.tar) file for OE 5.95.5 (Kodi 15.2 RC I believe), drop it in the update folder, and reboot.
I want to add live TV from an antenna (and Plex) to my setup. I'd like to try to use my chromebox to run plex server and a pvr backend while I use my aftv and kodi for the front end. I have an external hdd mounted to my Netgear Nighthawk router that has my libraries.. What hardware and software should I use? Thanks.
  • 358(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37