Req [1/2 Solved] Dynamic Stereo Upmix and Number of Channels Based Upon Source
Edit #2

jjd-uk partially solved this issue with this thread http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=200081

The answer is to create a 2 separate profiles (Audio Profile 1 for 2.0 Stereo Source) (Audio Profile 2 for 5.1), as I was asking in the feature request.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a way for this to happen "Dynamically" or "Automatically". jjd-uk's partial solution is to bind each audio profile to a key. This would be helpful if I ran in Windows Environment or had a Logitech Harmony remote, but I'm running on nvidia shield with a basic remote (which I why I don't want to do this manually)

If anyone has feedback on how to automate Audio Profile switching, I'd appreciate it.

Edit #1
I am editing so I can try to simplify what I'm requesting.

Problem: I have to keep changing between these 2 configurations based upon my audio source (2.0 Stereo vs 5.1)
  • Configuration 1: Stereo (2.0) Source (upmixing to 2.1 or 3.1, no audio through surround)
    • Setting: "Stereo Upmix" = Enabled
    • Setting: "Number of Channels" = 2.1 or 3.1
      • PRO: Upmixed Stereo Audio to 2.1 or 3.1. I can hear low tones through my subwoofer. Smile
      • CON: 5.1 Source Audio is limited to either 2.1 or 3.1 (sound not coming through surround speakers)
      • CON: If I want to listen to 5.1 Source Audio, I have to switch to configuration #2 below.
      • CON: I have to keep switching between Configuration 1 and 2 based upon audio source.
  • Configuration 2: Multichannel (5.1) Source (no upmix, audio coming through all 5.1 speakers)
    • Setting: "Stereo Upmix" = Not Applicable (can either be enabled or disabled)
    • Setting: "Number of Channels" = 5.1
      • PRO: 5.1 Source = I can hear through all Channels
      • CON: If Stereo Upmix Enabled then 2.0 Stereo Source is upmixed to 5.1 (Stereo will upmix to surround speakers, do not want this)
      • CON: If Stereo Upmix Disabled then 2.0 Stereo Source is 2.0. (Stereo will not be upmixed, I want an upmix to 2.1 or 3.1)
      • CON: If I want to Stereo to Upmix properly, I have to switch to configuration #1 above.
      • CON: I have to keep switching between Configuration 1 and 2 based upon audio source.

Instead of switching between these 2 configurations, I'm requesting a feature request that can dynamically change the Upmix and Audio Channels settings based upon the source signal that Kodi is receiving:

Feature Request: Dynamic Stereo Upmix and Number of Channels Based Upon audio Source
  • Stereo Audio Source (2.0 Channels)
    • Setting: Stereo Upmix = Enabled/Disabled
      • If "Enabled", then:
        • Setting: Audio Channels = 2.1, 3.1, 4.1, 5.1, ..etc

• If "Disabled", then:
        • Setting: Audio Channels = Source Channels (2.0 = 2.0)
  • Multichannel Audio Source (5.1 Channels)
    • Setting: Multichannel Upmix/Downmix = Upmix/Downmix/Disabled
      • If "Disabled", then: Setting: Audio Channels = Source Channels (ex 5.1=5.1)
      • If "Upmix", then: Setting: Audio Channels = 5.2, 7.2...etc
      • If "Downmix", then: Setting: Audio Channels = 2.0, 2.1, 3.1 ...etc

(2015-10-04, 20:01)upmixthispls Wrote: I only want stereo to upmix to 2.1 or 3.1; and I want to listen to native 5.1 @ 5.1; Unfortunately I have to go in and change my "Number of Channels" depending upon what audio source I'm listening to.

If I'm listening to stereo, I have to change the "Number of Channels" to 2.1 or 3.1. When I'm listening to native 5.1 audio, I have to change "Number of Channels" to 5.1, otherwise I only get 2.1 or 3.1 (based upon my preferred Stereo Upmix settings).

I'd like to see the following options be independent of each other in Kodi:
    • "Stereo Source Output Settings (Number of Channels)"
    • 1. Native; No Upmix(2.0=2.0)
    • 2. Upmix to 2.1
    • 3. Upmix to 3.1
    • 7. Upmix to 4.1
    • 5. Upmix to 5.1
    • 6. Upmix to 5.2
    • 7. Upmix to 7.1
    • 8. Upmix to 7.2
    • "Multi Channel Source Output Settings (Number of Channels)"
    • 1. Native; No Upmix or Downmix (5.1=5.1, 7.2=7.2)
    • 2. Downmix to 2.0 or 2.1
    • 3. Downmix to 3.0 or 3.1
    • 4. Downmix to ...etc
    • 5. Upmix to 5.2
    • 6. Upmix to 7.1 or 7.2
    • 4. ...etc
Do you really think upmixing 2.0 to 2.1 makes any difference?
(2015-10-05, 02:27)ilovethakush Wrote: Do you really think upmixing 2.0 to 2.1 makes any difference?

This has nothing to do with my feature request because the upmix functionality already exists; you can upmix stereo to whatever you want, or not.

I have a subwoofer and would prefer to hear the low tones through that instead of just tinny sounding stereo through my satellite speakers... but my problem is I have my configuration for 5.1 and it pumps stereo through all of my surround speakers.
Isn't this already catered for? Just configure 5.1 channels in Kodi Audio Settings, and disable "Stereo upmix".

http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System#Audio_output

If you're not seeing the "Stereo upmix" option then set your Settings level to "Advanced" (maybe this option shouldn't be advanced...)
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-10-05, 16:07)Milhouse Wrote: Isn't this already catered for? Just configure 5.1 channels in Kodi Audio Settings, and disable "Stereo upmix".

http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System#Audio_output

If you're not seeing the "Stereo upmix" option then set your Settings level to "Advanced" (maybe this option shouldn't be advanced...)

Let me try to simplify my original post.

Problem: I have to keep changing between these 2 configurations based upon my audio source (2.0 Stereo vs 5.1)
  • Configuration 1: Stereo (2.0) Source (upmixing to 2.1 or 3.1, no audio through surround)
    • Setting: "Stereo Upmix" = Enabled
    • Setting: "Number of Channels" = 2.1 or 3.1
      • PRO: Upmixed Stereo Audio to 2.1 or 3.1. I can hear low tones through my subwoofer. Smile
      • CON: 5.1 Source Audio is limited to either 2.1 or 3.1 (sound not coming through surround speakers)
      • CON: If I want to listen to 5.1 Source Audio, I have to switch to configuration #2 below.
  • Configuration 2: Multichannel (5.1) Source (no upmix, audio coming through all 5.1 speakers)
    • Setting: "Stereo Upmix" = Not Applicable (can either be enabled or disabled)
    • Setting: "Number of Channels" = 5.1
      • PRO: 5.1 Source = I can hear through all Channels
      • CON: If Stereo Upmix Enabled then 2.0 Stereo Source is upmixed to 5.1 (Stereo will upmix to surround speakers, do not want this)
      • CON: If Stereo Upmix Disabled then 2.0 Stereo Source is 2.0. (Stereo will not be upmixed, I want an upmix to 2.1 or 3.1)
      • CON: If I want to Stereo to Upmix properly, I have to switch to configuration #1 above.

Instead of switching between these 2 configurations, I'm requesting a feature request that can dynamically change the Upmix and Audio Channels settings based upon the source signal that Kodi is receiving:
  • Feature Request: Dynamic Stereo Upmix and Number of Channels Based Upon audio Source
    • Stereo Audio Source (2.0 Channels)
      • Setting: Stereo Upmix = Enabled/Disabled
        • If "Enabled", then:
          • Setting: Audio Channels = 2.1, 3.1, 4.1, 5.1, ..etc

• If "Disabled", then:
          • Setting: Audio Channels = Source Channels (2.0 = 2.0)
    • Multichannel Audio Source (5.1 Channels)
      • Setting: Multichannel Upmix/Downmix = Upmix/Downmix/Disabled
        • If "Disabled", then: Setting: Audio Channels = Source Channels (ex 5.1=5.1)
        • If "Upmix", then: Setting: Audio Channels = 5.2, 7.2...etc
        • If "Downmix", then: Setting: Audio Channels = 2.0, 2.1, 3.1 ...etc
You could try using this http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=200081 as I very much doubt we'll complicate the audio settings any further.
(2015-10-05, 15:47)upmixthispls Wrote:
(2015-10-05, 02:27)ilovethakush Wrote: Do you really think upmixing 2.0 to 2.1 makes any difference?

This has nothing to do with my feature request because the upmix functionality already exists; you can upmix stereo to whatever you want, or not.

I have a subwoofer and would prefer to hear the low tones through that instead of just tinny sounding stereo through my satellite speakers... but my problem is I have my configuration for 5.1 and it pumps stereo through all of my surround speakers.

No you see, this has EVERYTHING to do with your feature request.

You have a 5.1 system. The obvious answer is, turn off stereo upmix, and then 2.0 or 2.1 would output through 2 speakers, 3.0 and 3.1 would output through 3, and naturally 5.1 would work normal.

But you claim to hear a difference when you upmix 2.0 to 2.1, so you want upmix to be on for 2.0 and 3.0 but off for 5.1.

Well I'm here to tell you, there is absolutely no difference when you upmix 2.0 to 2.1.

Source: I've been using 2.1 satellite harmon kardon speakers for about a decade now
Why kind of crappy surround system do you have where it doesn't use the subwoofer when fed stereo input? Even cheap 2.1 soundbars can do that, using a low pass filter to get the subwoofer a feed.
And if you still think there is a difference and want to do it your way.Turn off stereo upmix permanently in settings.

Then when you play something that's < 5.1, open audio settings while watching the video, and tick stereo upmix.
(2015-10-05, 18:46)ilovethakush Wrote: And if you still think there is a difference and want to do it your way.Turn off stereo upmix permanently in settings.

Then when you play something that's < 5.1, open audio settings while watching the video, and tick stereo upmix.

Again, you didn't read my post.

I DON'T WANT TO CHANGE ANY AUDIO SETTINGS. I WANT IT DONE AUTO-MAGICALLY.
(2015-10-05, 18:44)ilovethakush Wrote:
(2015-10-05, 15:47)upmixthispls Wrote:

No you see, this has EVERYTHING to do with your feature request.

You have a 5.1 system. The obvious answer is, turn off stereo upmix, and then 2.0 or 2.1 would output through 2 speakers, 3.0 and 3.1 would output through 3, and naturally 5.1 would work normal.

But you claim to hear a difference when you upmix 2.0 to 2.1, so you want upmix to be on for 2.0 and 3.0 but off for 5.1.

Well I'm here to tell you, there is absolutely no difference when you upmix 2.0 to 2.1.

Source: I've been using 2.1 satellite harmon kardon speakers for about a decade now

There is a difference, let me explain it to you.

2.0 = Left Speaker & Right Speaker (2 Audio Channels)
2.1 = Left Speaker + Right Speaker + Subwoofer (3 Audio Channels = 50% increase in audio channels)

Source 1: I have functioning ears that can pick up low frequencies played through a subwoofer. Even if the ".1" is simulated/upmixed, the bass tones of voice/music sound much better though my subwoofer than my basic Left + Right Speaker setup, I'm glad you have harmon kardon speakers that have decent woofers, but I do not.

Source 2: I have a BASIC 5.1 Receiver & 5.1 speaker setup.
(2015-10-05, 18:46)DJ_Izumi Wrote: Why kind of crappy surround system do you have where it doesn't use the subwoofer when fed stereo input? Even cheap 2.1 soundbars can do that, using a low pass filter to get the subwoofer a feed.

Sony STR-DH540, I'd accept donations for a better one.
(2015-10-05, 18:24)jjd-uk Wrote: You could try using this http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=200081 as I very much doubt we'll complicate the audio settings any further.

Wow, this is really really helpful. Thank you.

I'm still running into the issue of having to do something manually (even if it is programmed to a key/button). My household members barely know how to pause and play, let alone switch a profile.

Do you know if there is anyway to have the profiles switch automatically based upon the source audio?

Example:
- Stereo Source = Profile 1
- Multichannel Source = Profile 2
(2015-10-05, 19:30)upmixthispls Wrote: My household members barely know how to pause and play, let alone switch a profile.

then it's highly likely they also don't care about the audio mix. why don't you just let your receiver do the up/down-mixing?
(2015-10-05, 22:48)furii Wrote:
(2015-10-05, 19:30)upmixthispls Wrote: My household members barely know how to pause and play, let alone switch a profile.

then it's highly likely they also don't care about the audio mix. why don't you just let your receiver do the up/down-mixing?

They have ears: "It sounds like crap, where is the bass?"

My receiver doesn't have the option.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[1/2 Solved] Dynamic Stereo Upmix and Number of Channels Based Upon Source2