Req [1/2 Solved] Dynamic Stereo Upmix and Number of Channels Based Upon Source
A 2.1 signal will work with 5.1 by sending left to left, right to right, and sub to sub, and your center and L/R back speakers are unused. Isn't that what you want?
(2015-10-06, 00:06)Ned Scott Wrote: A 2.1 signal will work with 5.1 by sending left to left, right to right, and sub to sub, and your center and L/R back speakers are unused. Isn't that what you want?

Exactly, that's what I said.

But he claims, that when the source is 2.0 not 2.1, he doesn't hear any bass in his subwoofer unless he upmixes, which makes no sense to me (no offense), so I decided to stay out of this.
Well, he did say he was using Sony hardware, and while Sony hardware isn't bad at all, I've seen them do some odd things by default. I've told myself I would never buy a Sony TV after having come across a few that lacked any way to turn off overscan, for example. We've had weird issues with Sony tablets running Kodi where the touch screen doesn't always work. I wouldn't be surprised if some Sony AVRs are a little weird as well.
(2015-10-06, 04:22)Ned Scott Wrote: Well, he did say he was using Sony hardware, and while Sony hardware isn't bad at all, I've seen them do some odd things by default. I've told myself I would never buy a Sony TV after having come across a few that lacked any way to turn off overscan, for example. We've had weird issues with Sony tablets running Kodi where the touch screen doesn't always work. I wouldn't be surprised if some Sony AVRs are a little weird as well.

Again... no one is reading this thread. I've only discussed me upmixing a 2.0 signal. 2.0 = Stereo. Stereo = Left + Right. More specifically, I'm viewing content created before 1980.

What media comes with 2.1 source?
(2015-10-06, 02:55)ilovethakush Wrote:
(2015-10-06, 00:06)Ned Scott Wrote: A 2.1 signal will work with 5.1 by sending left to left, right to right, and sub to sub, and your center and L/R back speakers are unused. Isn't that what you want?

But he claims, that when the source is 2.0 not 2.1, he doesn't hear any bass in his subwoofer unless he upmixes, which makes no sense to me (no offense), so I decided to stay out of this.

What are you watching that has 2.1 source audio?

I've scanned my entire media library (about 600 video media files .mp4, .mkv, ..etc that span 1930s through 2015) and here is the rough breakout:

Mono = One Channel = 1.0 = ~50 Videos
Stereo = Two Channel = 2.0 = ~400 Videos
Surround = 6 Channel = 5.1 = ~150 Videos

Not a single video has "2.1 Source" or "3 Channel Audio".... so again, what are you watching that has 2.1 source audio?

I think you are smoking too much kush.
(2015-10-06, 06:28)upmixthispls Wrote: Not a single video has "2.1 Source" or "3 Channel Audio".... so again, what are you watching that has 2.1 source audio?

I don't think there are any meaningful 2.1 sources of content. Even in theaters where there is no .1 channel but there is a subwoofer, there's just a lowpass filter used. Funny story, cinema DTS is not even the same encoding technology as the DTS in home video, and cinema DTS is 5.0, a lowpass filter is used to get a signal for the subwoofer during playback in the theater. Big Grin (Assuming there are any classic DTS theaters around, I figure they all vanished when DCP replaced 35mm. o.O)
(2015-10-06, 06:36)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2015-10-06, 06:28)upmixthispls Wrote: Not a single video has "2.1 Source" or "3 Channel Audio".... so again, what are you watching that has 2.1 source audio?

I don't think there are any meaningful 2.1 sources of content. Even in theaters where there is no .1 channel but there is a subwoofer, there's just a lowpass filter used. Funny story, cinema DTS is not even the same encoding technology as the DTS in home video, and cinema DTS is 5.0, a lowpass filter is used to get a signal for the subwoofer during playback in the theater. Big Grin (Assuming there are any classic DTS theaters around, I figure they all vanished when DCP replaced 35mm. o.O)

Thank you! I felt like I was taking crazy pills. Everyone in this thread is assuming that low pass filter applied to 2.0 source = 2.1 source.

Did not know about the lowpass at the theatres. Wish I had it for my receiver though Sad
(2015-10-06, 06:28)upmixthispls Wrote:
(2015-10-06, 02:55)ilovethakush Wrote:

I've scanned my entire media library (about 600 video media files .mp4, .mkv, ..etc that span 1930s through 2015) and here is the rough breakout:

Not a single video has "2.1 Source" or "3 Channel Audio".... so again, what are you watching that has 2.1 source audio?

Honestly man, you're really getting on my nerves with your know it all attitude and passive aggressive insults.

First of all, plenty of videos have 2.1 as a source, I took a pic of one just for you, the image is sideways but you get the point

Second, you keep accusing me and everyone of not reading when it fact you're the one not reading. I and everyone else understood you perfectly

You want 2.0 videos to upmix to 2.1
You want 3.0 videos to upmix to 3.1
You have 5.1 speakers

Setting your speakers to 5.1 and turning off upmix works perfectly for everyone if you don't want an upmix from 2.0 to 5.1. You say you hear no bass when you do that, I don't know what to tell you, sorry. But quit it with the attitude...
(2015-10-06, 07:03)ilovethakush Wrote:
(2015-10-06, 06:28)upmixthispls Wrote:
(2015-10-06, 02:55)ilovethakush Wrote: Exactly, that's what I said.

Honestly man, you're really getting on my nerves with your know it all attitude and passive aggressive insults.

First of all, plenty of videos have 2.1 as a source, I took a pic of one just for you, the image is sideways but you get the point

Second, you keep accusing me and everyone of not reading when it fact you're the one not reading. I and everyone else understood you perfectly

You want 2.0 videos to upmix to 2.1
You want 3.0 videos to upmix to 3.1
You have 5.1 speakers

Setting your speakers to 5.1 and turning off upmix works perfectly for everyone if you don't want an upmix from 2.0 to 5.1. You say you hear no bass when you do that, I don't know what to tell you, sorry. But quit it with the attitude...

Stop getting butthurt because I'm correcting you. You should have never posted to this thread because you didn't read my whole issue (which is a two part issue). You are only looking at a specific portion of my issue and I agree with you that your solution works, but only for 1/2 of my problem.

Also, that movie was created in stereo 2.0 audio. Your extra .1 is probably being put in because it was encoded w/ the low pass filter and/or downsampled from the 6 channel 5.1 blu ray.

Also Also, XBMC/KODI often contains incorrect audio tags/metadata. I often have 5.1 audio passed to my receiver when it says "2.0 Stereo".

You should probably spend some time searching forums for answers that already exist RE: "Sync Playback Specific Question". I found the answer in 5 minutes...
I have better things to do with my life than to argue with some loser online, so I'm done with this. Hope you get the help you need but you won't, cause the audio settings are perfect as is, and many solutions have been given to you.

Also, I'll give you 1,000 dollars if you show me the answer to my other thread in the next 5 minutes. Cause all that proved to me is that you don't read, when you accuse everyone else of not reading.
(2015-10-06, 07:49)ilovethakush Wrote: I have better things to do with my life than to argue with some loser online, so I'm done with this. Hope you get the help you need but you won't, cause the audio settings are perfect as is, and many solutions have been given to you.

Also, I'll give you 1,000 dollars if you show me the answer to my other thread in the next 5 minutes. Cause all that proved to me is that you don't read, when you accuse everyone else of not reading.

I found it, it is quite an extensive post talking about how Kodi sync playback to the monitor's displayable refresh rate. If it can't meet the refresh rate you tell it, then it will sync it to the next available refresh rate your mointor can handle.

You probably didn't think about if your monitor is only capable of producing specific refresh rates based upon interlaced/progressive signal. You also need to consider the type of hdmi cable/ports and if they are capable of pushing the refresh rates you desire.

I found another thread that you commented on today, this poor guy needs help with a linux installation and how to control his audio. And you tell him he doesn't need to upmix his 2.0 audio to 5.1... you are such a tool ilovethakush...

Keep your 1,000, I'm sure you have some weed to buy with it.
I don't really know what this upmix feature is all about. Sounds to me it's really a party mode and should have been labeled party mode instead. Ideally it shouldn't even touch the 0.1 channel unless the source is 2.1 to begin with, instead let the bassmanagement in receiver deal with it. But I guess it can be considered some sort of a hack in case you use a 7.1 soundcard directly to poweramps. (But you really shouldn't.. since Kodi still lacks basic bass managment) Anyways, I digress ...

This feature request isn't needed. To OP: Your speaker setup isn't set up right. Enter you AVR's speaker setup and put all your speakers too small. Case solved. Don't think this is a hacky workaround, it's the *only* right way.
(2015-10-06, 08:17)Soli Wrote: I don't really know what this upmix feature is all about. Sounds to me it's really a party mode and should have been labeled party mode instead. Ideally it shouldn't even touch the 0.1 channel unless the source is 2.1 to begin with, instead let the bassmanagement in receiver deal with it. But I guess it can be considered some sort of a hack in case you use a 7.1 soundcard directly to poweramps. (But you really shouldn't.. since Kodi still lacks basic bass managment) Anyways, I digress ...

This feature request isn't needed. To OP: Your speaker setup isn't set up right. Enter you AVR's speaker setup and put all your speakers too small. Case solved. Don't think this is a hacky workaround, it's the *only* right way.

If you don't know what "the upmix feature is about" ... you should stop writing your post. This whole thread is literally about the upmix feature. How can you recommend that the feature request isn't needed if you don't understand the upmix functionality?

jjd-uk actually answered the question, I've updated the thread/first post to reflect the answer so far.
Don't read what only you want to read just because it suits you. I was being a little ironic. It should be clear that I know what I'm talking about. You normally don't upmix to a .1 channel, as that is the job of the bassmanagment to take care of.

Fix your settings and have a nice cup of... coffe.
(2015-10-06, 07:03)ilovethakush Wrote: First of all, plenty of videos have 2.1 as a source, I took a pic of one just for you, the image is sideways but you get the point

The Seven Year itch is one of those rare oddballs but it's not supposed to have a 2.1 mix, the Bluray however includes a Dolby 3.0 mix. I wonder if you've discovered a bug.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[1/2 Solved] Dynamic Stereo Upmix and Number of Channels Based Upon Source2