• 9(current)
Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV
Hi everyone,

Have been reading through the posts and thought I would post up my own experiences with Kodi and Sony android to see if somebody might be able to shed some light.

I've recently bought the KDL43W755CBU model (non 4k / non 3D). I also have a tvheadend server (TBS Moi Pro) and NAS box on my network. I have another HTPC running openelec and kodi 14.2 in another room.

When I first setup the tv I installed Kodi from the play store and loaded the library from the Openelec box onto it using upnp. My videos (mostly HD mkvs) seemed to play fine with no real obvious issues.

I also setup the TvHeadend PVR client and began testing. With deinterlacing set to BOB, channels like BBC 1 HD and BBC 2 HD played well. However I ran into issues with SD channels being displayed in 4:3 format rather than 16:9. I tried the various suggested methods of disabling hardware acceleration but when I did that, while it managed to resolve the issues with the SD channels, the HD channels wouldn't play without stuttering and pixelating.

Having read up a little, I decided to uninstall the offical Kodi app from the Play store and instead try the Kod 15.2 RC 3 app from the site. This is where I have started to run into major issues. Using this version I couldn't get any of the HD content (tv or video files) to play at all without stuttering and pixelation. SD was fine. Last night I tried every version of the app from 14.2 to 15.2 RC3 and have the same results. In fact what's even more unusual is that I have now reverted back to the official app from the Play store and it is having these same issues where previously it didn't.

I looked at the system info summary and noticed that even at idle, the cpu seems to be running at anywhere between 75 - 90%. I think this is probably having an effect on being able to play content. In fact when I tried the Zephyr skin (beautiful by the way) the CPU was pretty much constantly at 100% when in idle.

I'm probably going to do a factory reset on the tv when I go home this evening and start fresh with the official app to see if that makes any difference, but if anyone else has had these issues I'd love to know if you've been able to resolve them.

Thanks

Henry
Did you try restarting the TV? Hold the power button on the back.

I have the same TV and the high cpu usage only once, and it was when I was messing with settings and addons. A reboot cured it Smile

Everything else is running perfectly. 1080p blue rays streamed from a network drive.
I also suggest you try removing the kodi profile folder from the TV. Could be possible that it gets left behind between reinstalls.
(2015-10-09, 11:57)najt42 Wrote: Did you try restarting the TV? Hold the power button on the back.

I have the same TV and the high cpu usage only once, and it was when I was messing with settings and addons. A reboot cured it Smile

Everything else is running perfectly. 1080p blue rays streamed from a network drive.

Ha Ha...Brilliant! I actually work in IT and it never even dawned on me to do this! Thanks for the suggestion, i'll try that this evening and have a look for the profile folder and remove that too. It'll be a whole lot easier than a factory reset Big Grin
(2015-10-09, 11:57)najt42 Wrote: Did you try restarting the TV? Hold the power button on the back.

Actually, now that I've gotten a hold of somebody with the same model tv as me, do you mind if I ask you what version of Kodi you are running and have you made any tweaks to it to get it running properly? Big Grin

Do you use any of the pvr addons?
So, the reboot of the TV worked a charm. Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately though I'm still having the issue with my TV channels. With the hardware acceleration turned on the HD channels play fine but the SD channels that are broadcast in 16:9 are being squeezed to 4:3. I tried turning off the hardware acceleration but the only thing that do was stop the HD channels working. The SD ones were still being compressed.

I'm running Kodi 15.2 RC3 and tvheadend. If anyone has come across this issue and managed to resolve it I'd be very interested to learn how

Thanks
(2015-10-09, 13:05)HenryHills Wrote: Actually, now that I've gotten a hold of somebody with the same model tv as me, do you mind if I ask you what version of Kodi you are running and have you made any tweaks to it to get it running properly? Big Grin

Just the version from the Play store. No PVR, no special configuration. I only had to set the audio to 250ms ahead to sync up with the TV's speakers.

Edit: actually I have the 55" inch, but the same series (755, non 3d, non 4k).
(2015-10-11, 12:27)najt42 Wrote:
(2015-10-09, 13:05)HenryHills Wrote: Actually, now that I've gotten a hold of somebody with the same model tv as me, do you mind if I ask you what version of Kodi you are running and have you made any tweaks to it to get it running properly? Big Grin

Just the version from the Play store. No PVR, no special configuration. I only had to set the audio to 250ms ahead to sync up with the TV's speakers.

Edit: actually I have the 55" inch, but the same series (755, non 3d, non 4k).

Ah ok. Thanks for the info. I'm finding that Kodi seems to have no problem playing back video files, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the PVR addon for Tvheadend.

I'll just keep searching for a solution
(2015-10-12, 13:26)HenryHills Wrote: Ah ok. Thanks for the info. I'm finding that Kodi seems to have no problem playing back video files, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the PVR addon for Tvheadend.

I'll just keep searching for a solution
I also have a non-4k Sony Android TV. I wanted to use Kodi for its PVR capabilities. I have a Mediaportal backend with multiple tuner cards in it. I found that trying to watch live or recorded TV with Kodi and the Mediaportal PVR addon it was unusable as the picture was dropping out all the time. I temporarily installed MythTV as my backend server and with this PVR addon in Kodi I have no problems with playback or live TV streaming at all.

After getting it all working I realised there were some other issues I hadnt thought about. I have a Harmony remote that I have mapped buttons to for things like the Guide, Recorded TV, Context Menu etc. I can use Keymap addon to map buttons like Green and Blue to Kodi functions like these but I cant use the Guide button or Menu button on the remote unless I am prepared to permanently map them to Kodi functions meaning I lose things like Menu option when using other apps.
I have a Sony KDL55W805 , loaded Kodi from Google Play Store and picture is fine.Only problem I have is that films and Tv series from various addons play well with little stuttering and sound through a sound bar via optical is also good. However on add ons that broadcast live TV the sound drops out completely after about 30 seconds . I have enabled pass through on Kodi audio . Anyone got any suggestions?
Hello,

I have a KDL55X805c , loaded Kodi from Google Play Store. Everything is fine so fare. But some videos get darker after the TV Overlay (Menus etc) or the Kodi overlay fade out.
has someone else these problem too??

German:
Einige Videos werden dunkler nach dem das TV Overlay von Menüs oder auch das Overlay von Kodi verschwindet.

thanks/Danke
Hello,

I have 4K Sony TV KD-65X9005C, installed Kodi from Google Play Store. Playing normal films up to 1080i (mkv, mp4) is OK. 4K films are unusable for me due to stucking (as I understand other participants have same problem ?). But I have the same stucking problem playing my private films - VMA files (1080p, 10mb/s) made with Adobe Premiere Elements. All my private films and 4K films are playing without problems on native Sony player built in TV. Any idea, any help ??
QUESTION....... do these Sony Android tv's suffer from Cinavia protection through the different apps?
Sorry, my mistake: .... I have stucking problems also if playing my private films - WMV (Windows Media Video format) files (1080p, 10mb/s) made with Adobe Premiere Elements....
out of personal experience I'd say that encoding full HD content in WMV really is not recommended, particularly with Kodi on platforms such as Android that are dependent on hardware codec support - meaning that you probably won't get hardware acceleration on many platforms and would be dependent on software decoding which the ARM platform/SoCs usually cannot deliver.

regarding Cinavia: I do not understand where the specific issue with Kodi on Sony Bravia TVs should be, I suggest to do a thorough google search or read-up and find your answer elsewhere.

@berzi please rephrase your question or try German with me, I just do not understand what you are talking about.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV8