• 30(current)
Android Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)
The "internal disagreement" is being worked on, so the fix should be in nightlies this WE at worst
(2015-10-16, 07:33)Koying Wrote: Today's

is there any more work to do on VC-1? i'm still having some noticeable playback problems with it. not complaining at all, just wondering
(2015-10-16, 16:00)knives of ice Wrote: is there any more work to do on VC-1? i'm still having some noticeable playback problems with it. not complaining at all, just wondering

I don't use VC1 whatsoever, so you'd better speak up (with details AND LOGS) if something is wrong Wink
(2015-10-14, 18:29)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2015-10-13, 18:10)dafresh Wrote: Can someone retest picture quality with 2.1 ?
Regarding a post in nvidia`s changelog thread, there is allways a conversation from
original picture to Full RGB and again to the outputformat RGB limited or YCBCR limited.

Well, seen this in on Intel NUC and Raspberry Pi before and allways results in banding :-|
I have a little hope, the shield provides better results, equal to my WDTV Live to replace it.

Post 2.1 update PQ looks fine to me.

In comparison to WDTV Live gen 1, HUB, SMP and a (short lived) WDTV Live Play, PQ looks the same or better.

In comparison to a Chromebox (M004U/Celeron 2955U) running OE, PQ is not quite as good but pretty close. The Chromebox does appear to have a crisper image.

As for banding, I'm not seeing any on full BD rips and only slighty (in some scenes, mostly darker) for compressed MKVs which is to be expected and is pretty much the same across all devices.

thanks for your comparison
(2015-10-16, 17:25)dafresh Wrote: thanks for your comparison

You're welcome.

Just keep in mind that PQ, like art, is subjective. I might have a piece of art on my wall that I love, you might see it an hate it.

PQ is the same, what I or someone else likes you might think is too dark, too bright, for you the colors might be off or the picture is too sharp/not sharp enough.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-10-16, 19:26)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2015-10-16, 17:25)dafresh Wrote: thanks for your comparison

You're welcome.

Just keep in mind that PQ, like art, is subjective. I might have a piece of art on my wall that I love, you might see it an hate it.

PQ is the same, what I or someone else likes you might think is too dark, too bright, for you the colors might be off or the picture is too sharp/not sharp enough.

I don't think that is true. There is a reference point. Media is produced to standards (say D6500 grayscale). From there things may change like conversion to YUV, 4:2:0 colorspace, home audio calibrated to -10db vs theater audio. A device like a blu ray player or the Shield should do nothing but decode the media (or pass through audio) and pass it along the chain unaltered. Then it is the displays job to either properly display back that content as it was intended as best as possible, or alter the image in the case where the user prefers a quality altered, or however the hell the manufacturer set it if the user doesn't care and didn't get the display calibrated.

While a user may prefer a certain look compared to a reference level, there is at least a reference level to remove any artsy subjectivity and leave only preference.
I think you read too much into my statement, I'm not saying that there isn't a reference point, but it's not about that, it's about perception.

The majority of people aren't setting there with a video or audio calibration device to determine what is or isn't within a determined reference point. Most people use their eyes, ears and brain to determine what is or isn't tolerable to them. And since people don't share those things (well, some people do seem to share a brain Wink ), then what they perceive may not be what you would perceive. Some people may even perceive that something outside the tolerance of the reference point is actually better than when it's dead on.

So my point is, when someone says the PQ "looks" good or doesn't, then it is their point of view, not a measurable fact.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Then I agree. Smile

I'd also state that ignorance is bliss in the video world.
And Lossless Audio world. Marketing and perception play a VERY big part. Wink

(2015-10-16, 16:11)Koying Wrote:
(2015-10-16, 16:00)knives of ice Wrote: is there any more work to do on VC-1? i'm still having some noticeable playback problems with it. not complaining at all, just wondering

I don't use VC1 whatsoever, so you'd better speak up (with details AND LOGS) if something is wrong Wink

Sent you a pm with two problems I've seen.
(2015-10-16, 16:11)Koying Wrote:

I don't really know what i'm doing, which i'm sure is obvious, when it comes to logging. i tried to follow the easy wiki

http://xbmclogs.com/pubzx3rdb

basically, with vc1 files and these are the only files i can get to do this the audio gets really out of place with every vc1 i have if you skip chapters or anything like that in an mkv file. any skipping causes problems. if you start from the beginning it is good, resuming is a problem for me as well. i tried multiple vc1 mkv files and had the same problem each time. i've reboot the shield as well, same thing.
(2015-10-15, 11:34)querty1000 Wrote:
(2015-10-15, 10:33)Frankmich Wrote: can anyone confirm that dts hd ma 7.1 works on shield

works

Quote:or is it only a kodi problem

its not a problem, its still not implemented. you can use the workaround with PCM:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...6/#4693886

I tried this workaround but I do not get sound on my back speakers. I have a 7.1 setup with an Onkyo 636 set to Direct mode. Anyone else having this problem?
Smile 
Sorry for this stupid question.
I'm considering to buy the Nvidia Shied TV Pro .

Does the workaround work for DTS-HD Master with a 5.1 system?
In the settings it says 8 channel system.

MfG 09chja Smile
(2015-10-17, 17:41)Krazyflipj Wrote: I tried this workaround but I do not get sound on my back speakers. I have a 7.1 setup with an Onkyo 636 set to Direct mode. Anyone else having this problem?

Debug log (wiki)?

(2015-10-17, 19:33)09chja Wrote: Sorry for this stupid question.
I'm considering to buy the Nvidia Shied TV Pro .

Does the workaround work for DTS-HD Master with a 5.1 system?
In the settings it says 8 channel system.

MfG 09chja Smile

Yes, just set your channel number to 5.1.
(2015-10-17, 19:50)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2015-10-17, 17:41)Krazyflipj Wrote: I tried this workaround but I do not get sound on my back speakers. I have a 7.1 setup with an Onkyo 636 set to Direct mode. Anyone else having this problem?

Debug log (wiki)?

Here you go

http://goo.gl/xYE5Jd
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)6