• 365(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Hello Matt,

here is the kernel log for you:
http://sprunge.us/iDCh
Hi Matt,

New to Kodi forum. I got ASUS Chromebox M075, I recently installed Openelec on USB drive using EZ script. I see that KODI on USB drive seems running bit slow.

1) Why running from USB is slow?

2) If I copy the contents on to other faster USB drive, do you think it can make things faster? IF yes, what is the best way to copy it?Do you suggest USB/SD which one you suggest??

3) When I press Ctrl-L , then I din't pressed ESC in time... IT is getting stuck with black screen. What might be the issue?

Thank you
PhdLincoln
(2015-10-29, 11:06)Lambada123 Wrote: Hello Matt,

here is the kernel log for you:
http://sprunge.us/iDCh

everything looks good there - you did run the firmware update script after a fresh boot, correct? If not, that's likely the issue.

(2015-10-29, 16:14)phdlincoln Wrote: Hi Matt,

New to Kodi forum. I got ASUS Chromebox M075, I recently installed Openelec on USB drive using EZ script. I see that KODI on USB drive seems running bit slow.

1) Why running from USB is slow?

well, USB is a lot slower than an internal SSD, but that should only effect the boot time, not once it's booted. USB devices also do vary significantly in speed.

Quote:2) If I copy the contents on to other faster USB drive, do you think it can make things faster? IF yes, what is the best way to copy it?Do you suggest USB/SD which one you suggest??

you can't simply copy the contents to another USB, you'd need to re-run the EZ Setup Script to ensure that the USB is formatted properly for OpenELEC and to ensure a compatible bootloader is installed.

Quote:3) When I press Ctrl-L , then I din't pressed ESC in time... IT is getting stuck with black screen. What might be the issue?

CTRL-L boots the ChromeBox in legacy boot mode. If you haven't installed a dual-boot OS to the internal SSD, then it's trying (and failing) to boot ChromeOS in legacy mode. Since you're just running OpenELEC from USB, I'd recommend you use the 'Update Legacy BIOS' function of the EZ Setup Script and when prompted, choose the option to default to USB boot, so you don't have to worry about hitting ESC in time.

Quote:Thank you
PhdLincoln

welcome Smile
(2015-10-29, 17:51)Matt Devo Wrote: everything looks good there - you did run the firmware update script after a fresh boot, correct? If not, that's likely the issue.

No, i test this after an fresh boot... Now i make the update with an ChromiumOS USB Stick, this works fine...

Another question: The FanControl is from Bios or OpenELEC? My ChromeBox makes problems when i wake it up from hibernate. The Fan runs FullPower for 20sec or for ever... then i must restart the Box and all is fine...
(2015-10-29, 18:00)Lambada123 Wrote:
(2015-10-29, 17:51)Matt Devo Wrote: everything looks good there - you did run the firmware update script after a fresh boot, correct? If not, that's likely the issue.

No, i test this after an fresh boot... Now i make the update with an ChromiumOS USB Stick, this works fine...

Another question: The FanControl is from Bios or OpenELEC? My ChromeBox makes problems when i wake it up from hibernate. The Fan runs FullPower for 20sec or for ever... then i must restart the Box and all is fine...

Both - the firmware provides fan speed settings for specific temperature ranges, but the OS is free to override that. The Linux kernel overhauled their ACPI stuff around kernel 3.19, a bug in which is causing the full-blast fan on resume from suspend for many other devices as well as the ChromeBox. I don't think there's anything I can do from the firmware side to mitigate it, but I'll check.
(2015-10-01, 17:58)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-10-01, 16:47)nate1280 Wrote: Seems the new Asus Chromebox with the Broadwell 3205U CPU is finally available (p/n: CHROMEBOX2-G016U by the looks of it), I wonder if this will still work for it, probably wishful thinking, but never know.

the dual boot portion will, assuming it has a working legacy boot out of the box. I would need to create a separate standalone/full firmware replacement for it though, for which I'd need to have access to a box for testing. Given its late arrival, I can't think of any reason to recommend the Broadwell version over Haswell, and so probably won't bother putting any effort towards it unless someone sends me a box. I'm certainly not going to spend my own money on one =P
It seems that I made a mistake.... I just received my new chromebox2. I for whatever reason, thought that it would work with the existing build. What are my options now ?
(2015-10-30, 00:25)fishypops Wrote: It seems that I made a mistake.... I just received my new chromebox2. I for whatever reason, thought that it would work with the existing build. What are my options now ?

what type of setup are you trying to do - dual boot OpenELEC?
Hi Matt,

Is its possible to use Logitech revue keyboard with Asus Chromebox M075 for Kodi ( USB drive install). Does it need any special setup ? If possible How?

Tx
PhdLincoln
(2015-10-30, 17:29)phdlincoln Wrote: Hi Matt,

Is its possible to use Logitech revue keyboard with Asus Chromebox M075 for Kodi ( USB drive install). Does it need any special setup ? If possible How?

Tx
PhdLincoln

yes, but you'll need a unifying receiver to plug in the ChromeBox after pairing it with the Revue keyboard on a PC. It's just like any other current Logitech unifying device in that regard. See logitech's forums/support for more info.
(2015-10-30, 00:38)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-10-30, 00:25)fishypops Wrote: It seems that I made a mistake.... I just received my new chromebox2. I for whatever reason, thought that it would work with the existing build. What are my options now ?

what type of setup are you trying to do - dual boot OpenELEC?
Hi Matt,
I will do whichever you recommend. This is to be a dedicated kodi box.
I plan on setting up an ASUS Chromebox for a friend tomorrow, and the instructions posted here seem pretty straight forward. The only thing I'm questioning is how you install addons or skins from a zip file. Do you download them on a pc and transfer them over to the Chromebox on a USB flash drive?
(2015-10-31, 16:35)Leo8978 Wrote: I plan on setting up an ASUS Chromebox for a friend tomorrow, and the instructions posted here seem pretty straight forward. The only thing I'm questioning is how you install addons or skins from a zip file. Do you download them on a pc and transfer them over to the Chromebox on a USB flash drive?

You could do it that way, or, you could open Windows explorer, & type in the IP address of your chromebox ( example: \\192.168.1.100 ) and you'll see some shared folders. I drop the zip files into the shared download folder. Then when you want to add from a zip file, navigate to the internal folder...I think it's thru the "home folder". Either way works.

Additionally, if you want to do an update you drop the .tar file into the shared "update" folder & reboot your box....easy.
(2015-10-31, 16:40)Karnis Wrote:
(2015-10-31, 16:35)Leo8978 Wrote: I plan on setting up an ASUS Chromebox for a friend tomorrow, and the instructions posted here seem pretty straight forward. The only thing I'm questioning is how you install addons or skins from a zip file. Do you download them on a pc and transfer them over to the Chromebox on a USB flash drive?

You could do it that way, or, you could open Windows explorer, & type in the IP address of your chromebox ( example: \\192.168.1.100 ) and you'll see some shared folders. I drop the zip files into the shared download folder. Then when you want to add from a zip file, navigate to the internal folder...I think it's thru the "home folder". Either way works.

Additionally, if you want to do an update you drop the .tar file into the shared "update" folder & reboot your box....easy.

Thank you so much for the quick response. This definitely seems easier. As long as I get Kodi up and running on the Chromebox, I will try this method of installing the zip file. Thanks again!
(2015-10-31, 12:27)fishypops Wrote: Hi Matt,
I will do whichever you recommend. This is to be a dedicated kodi box.

shoot me a PM / hit me up on google hangouts or IRC. Want to get some more info before advising you to move forward and/or making any adjustments to the script.
(2015-10-31, 16:53)Leo8978 Wrote:
(2015-10-31, 16:40)Karnis Wrote:

Thank you so much for the quick response. This definitely seems easier. As long as I get Kodi up and running on the Chromebox, I will try this method of installing the zip file. Thanks again!
Alternatively use scp - from commandline on linux or winscp from windows.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 365(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37