Android DD 5.1 and DTS passthrough not working (Kodi on Sony AndroidTV with HDMI ARC)
I am having difficulties getting passthrough of surround sound (DD 5.1 and DTS) to work with Kodi Android on a Sony Bravia AndroidTV setup. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Here's my setup:
The TV (Sony Bravia KD-55X8505C) is running Kodi 15.2 Isengard as an app directly on the TV and is connected to the receiver (Yamaha RX-V473) with HDMI on the ARC port)

Settings on Kodi:
Enable passthrough: check
Dolby Digital /AC3) capable receiver: check
DTS capable receiver: check

Log: http://pastebin.com/uB5cb0wr

I am hearing only clicking or static noise when testing playback of files with these settings.
I played a DD 5.1 movie at timestamp 16:45:30. Receiver stayed at PCM and gave only clicking/static noise
I played back a DTS 5.1 movie at timestamp 16:50:05 with the same result
I played back an AC3 2.0 ch movie at timestamp 16:51:26 with the same result
I played back an AAC 2.0 ch movie at timestamp 16:52:44 with success (normal sound output, receiver stayed at PCM).

The reason I believe the error resides in the Kodi android build:
I jumped into the netflix app also running on the TV. This has no problem playing back a DD 5.1 movie and when the movie starts the received correctly switches from PCM to Dolby Digital.
I jumped into my Raspberry PI 2 running Kodi through OSMC. This is connected directly to the receiver. I played the exact same movies mentioned above and the received correctly switches the audio decoder and outputs surround sound correctly.

I have not tried the same procedures on Jarvis as I have not yet sideloaded the latest beta.
I have not tried running an optical cable from TV to receiver (only tried this with HDMI ARC as I do not have an optical cable lying around currently)

Hopefully there's a fix for this issue currently or soon with Jarvis. Other than this surround sound issue I am having no issues whatsoever running Kodi on Sony AndroidTV and that's pretty awesome if you ask me.

Please help!
please move to http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229348

what are your audio settings in the android system menu? does the sound work if you let Kodi decode (i.e. switch off passthrough)?
with current firmware builds passthrough of digital streams still is a bit of a mystery to me - some apps output the passthrough only via HDMI ARC (Netflix), some only via optical out, and some (Amazon Video) don't do it at all.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
I've read through the whole thread you linked to Hannes and found some answers from you actually. You mentioned early on that you switched to PCM in the Sony audio settings.

I switched the "Digital Audio Out" setting from Auto 1 to PCM and now as far as I can tell my receiver is getting the correct stream and outputting surround sound correctly.
However, I have no idea what the difference between Auto 1, Auto 2 and PCM actually is, but there you go.

To answer your initial question Hannes: When I switch passthrough off in Kodi the receiver stays in stereo mode it seems. So sound works fine but no surround.

For others experiencing the same issue I would recommend to try to play with both the digital audio out setting in android and testing different configurations in Kodi for passthrough.
I am going to switch to a Sonos playbar very soon so I will revert back with any updates on the success or lack thereof on that. Scary stuff as that has to be connected with optical which changes by setup again. Fingers crossed.
(2015-12-14, 18:31)henmad Wrote: I am having difficulties getting passthrough of surround sound (DD 5.1 and DTS) to work with Kodi Android on a Sony Bravia AndroidTV setup. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Here's my setup:
The TV (Sony Bravia KD-55X8505C) is running Kodi 15.2 Isengard as an app directly on the TV and is connected to the receiver (Yamaha RX-V473) with HDMI on the ARC port)

Settings on Kodi:
Enable passthrough: check
Dolby Digital /AC3) capable receiver: check
DTS capable receiver: check

Log: http://pastebin.com/uB5cb0wr

I am hearing only clicking or static noise when testing playback of files with these settings.
I played a DD 5.1 movie at timestamp 16:45:30. Receiver stayed at PCM and gave only clicking/static noise
I played back a DTS 5.1 movie at timestamp 16:50:05 with the same result
I played back an AC3 2.0 ch movie at timestamp 16:51:26 with the same result
I played back an AAC 2.0 ch movie at timestamp 16:52:44 with success (normal sound output, receiver stayed at PCM).

The reason I believe the error resides in the Kodi android build:
I jumped into the netflix app also running on the TV. This has no problem playing back a DD 5.1 movie and when the movie starts the received correctly switches from PCM to Dolby Digital.
I jumped into my Raspberry PI 2 running Kodi through OSMC. This is connected directly to the receiver. I played the exact same movies mentioned above and the received correctly switches the audio decoder and outputs surround sound correctly.

I have not tried the same procedures on Jarvis as I have not yet sideloaded the latest beta.
I have not tried running an optical cable from TV to receiver (only tried this with HDMI ARC as I do not have an optical cable lying around currently)

Hopefully there's a fix for this issue currently or soon with Jarvis. Other than this surround sound issue I am having no issues whatsoever running Kodi on Sony AndroidTV and that's pretty awesome if you ask me.

Please help!

Play video with the audio problem.
press "action menu" go to sounds/advanced setting/input related and put Dolby Dynamic range and/or HE-AAC dynamic range on STANDARD.
That did the trick. Now staying with "auto 1" on the TV works with all types of audio streams through Kodi and the receiver switches correctly between them and outputs the surround sound correctly.
Thank you so much bravv, you genius!
I had the same problem and I find solution just yesterday. I create a account just for you ^^
I have the same issue, without success. I dont know, whats missing.

When passthrough is enabled

- AC3 track gives clicking noise
- DTS gives PCM48 stereo
on amp.

In action menu both settings are on standard, at the tv's sound settings there is Auto1 (but also tried with Auto2).

Any suggestion?
Thanks.
Furthermore, the stock Videos app plays the sorround correctly, but not the aspect ratio.

(2016-02-17, 22:21)krishy Wrote: I have the same issue, without success. I dont know, whats missing.

When passthrough is enabled

- AC3 track gives clicking noise
- DTS gives PCM48 stereo
on amp.

In action menu both settings are on standard, at the tv's sound settings there is Auto1 (but also tried with Auto2).

Any suggestion?
Thanks.
One more update:

The Video app shows a wrong aspect ratio, then:
Action menu: Fit
Action menu: Information, Back, and voila...
bugs...

Although Kodi fits me better, without sorrund I left at native app. Spent 2 nights trying to set up Kodi, now giving up.
please use Sony Bravia 2015 thread http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229348 thanks!
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
(2015-12-17, 22:27)bravvv Wrote: I had the same problem and I find solution just yesterday. I create a account just for you ^^
Thank you very much. This had been annoying me for a month. Your fix has worked for me. Much appreciated!
I am having similar difficulty using Jarvis. I am running pc/W10/Jarvis HDMI to Marantz AVR. PC is set to 7.1 output in WASAPI audio and all 8 outputs test ok within that. When running Jarvis and movies or TV, I only get stereo. KODI displays AAC and 2.0. My 7.1 system only gets front 2 speaker output and everything I have thought to do has had no effect.

I am sure it is something simple, but cannot see it. Please help.
And your kodi settings?
WASAPI: HDMI - Marantz... 7.1 Best Match disabled disabled Medium 1 MInute (no 8 ch choice) disabled Passthru enabled
Passthru output: WASAPI: HDMI _ Marantz...... DD enabled DDP enabled DTS enabled TrueHD enabled DTS-HD enabled
And how is this related to sony android tv or android at all?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DD 5.1 and DTS passthrough not working (Kodi on Sony AndroidTV with HDMI ARC)0