• 389(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2015-12-15, 09:59)Matt Devo Wrote: when you use the 'Set Boot Options' feature of the script, it sets a firmware flag to lock developer mode on, to prevent accidentally disabling it via the space bar. If you're looking to have it boot ChromeOS immediately, you can either set the boot delay to 1s, or set the boot options back to default (which removes the dev mode lock) and then re-enable verified boot mode. Either way, run the script and set the boot options as desired.

Thanks for replying. I would like to do the latter "set the boot options back to default (which removes the dev mode lock) and then re-enable verified boot mode. Either way, run the script and set the boot options as desired."

Sorry to be a newbie but could you point me to which script, Also when I try to do Crtl + Alt + (Anything L, F2) to get to some type of command line nothing happens. .
Updating firmware (via script) doesn't work, or I assume it doesn't work. I ran it once, said 1214 is available, updated, rebooted. Ran it again to check, still says 1214 is available, did it a couple more times, nothing changed.

I know it says fixed in the changelog, but it didn't work for me, unless it works and still says an update is available.
(2015-12-15, 18:26)Cbeatz Wrote: Thanks for replying. I would like to do the latter "set the boot options back to default (which removes the dev mode lock) and then re-enable verified boot mode. Either way, run the script and set the boot options as desired."

Sorry to be a newbie but could you point me to which script, Also when I try to do Crtl + Alt + (Anything L, F2) to get to some type of command line nothing happens. .

the titular script of this post, linked in the first post. If CTRL-ALT-F2 on the ChromeOS login screen doesn't give you a terminal shell, then either your keyboard isn't cooperating, you need to press a 'fn' key on the keyboard for F2 to work, or your device isn't in developer mode.

(2015-12-16, 00:25)ilovethakush Wrote: Updating firmware (via script) doesn't work, or I assume it doesn't work. I ran it once, said 1214 is available, updated, rebooted. Ran it again to check, still says 1214 is available, did it a couple more times, nothing changed.

I know it says fixed in the changelog, but it didn't work for me, unless it works and still says an update is available.

you've told me nothing useful to understand / diagnose the issue. Are you trying to update the standalone firmware, or legacy boot payload for a dual boot setup? Which script are you running (EZ setup, or standalone firmware updater)? What OS are you running it from? What version is reported in the SeaBIOS boot header?

The fix noted in the changelog was to address a specific issue where the legacy boot payload couldn't be updated from ChromeOS when running v48 from the ChromeOS development channel. That doesn't sound like what you're trying to do however.
(2015-12-16, 01:22)Matt Devo Wrote: you've told me nothing useful to understand / diagnose the issue. Are you trying to update the standalone firmware, or legacy boot payload for a dual boot setup? Which script are you running (EZ setup, or standalone firmware updater)? What OS are you running it from? What version is reported in the SeaBIOS boot header?

The fix noted in the changelog was to address a specific issue where the legacy boot payload couldn't be updated from ChromeOS when running v48 from the ChromeOS development channel. That doesn't sound like what you're trying to do however.

LOL sorry. I don't know why, but for some reason I assumed you knew everything lmao

standalone, standalone firmware update script, fritsch's latest build, ssh via linux, I've updated multiple times before. What version is reported? I don't know, I'll check. Can you check via ssh?
(2015-12-16, 04:09)ilovethakush Wrote: LOL sorry. I don't know why, but for some reason I assumed you knew everything lmao

standalone, standalone firmware update script, fritsch's latest build, ssh via linux, I've updated multiple times before. What version is reported? I don't know, I'll check. Can you check via ssh?

looks like an issue in the way I'm checking the current firmware version. The version reported in the kernel log (dmesg) by the firmware is the date of the last commit to the repository, which usually coincides with the day I build the firmware, but in this case does not.

reset assured, unless the script reports an error, it successfully flashed the latest firmware update, even if running it a 2nd time reports an update is available

The easiest way to check the version installed is to insert a USB stick, power on, and press ESC. The SeaBIOS version string will have the build date in it.
Hi Matt, I want to thank you in advance for paying attention to my legacy payload update issue. Now I have the same problem as @Diodato with the size image, 16:9 not overscan. But Thanks again.
(2015-12-16, 04:39)fvlserevere Wrote: Hi Matt, I want to thank you in advance for paying attention to my legacy payload update issue. Now I have the same problem as @Diodato with the size image, 16:9 not overscan. But Thanks again.
Doh, will post new builds shortly
(2015-12-16, 05:51)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-12-16, 04:39)fvlserevere Wrote: Hi Matt, I want to thank you in advance for paying attention to my legacy payload update issue. Now I have the same problem as @Diodato with the size image, 16:9 not overscan. But Thanks again.
Doh, will post new builds shortly

posted
(2015-12-15, 09:59)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-12-15, 06:55)giant25 Wrote: Hey Matt, thanks for the suggestions. Removing the parens and & didn't really change anything. Updating to the latest Legacy Boot payload didn't either. A different cable had already been tried. I did make progress, however. I enabled "HDMI UHD Color" on the Samsung 4k TV and the Chromebox will now boot up upon reboot. Here's the 3 scenarios I've tried on the 4k Samsung:

1) UHD Color Disabled -- Will not boot upon power on/reboot
2) UHD Color Enabled & autostart.sh set to 1080p -- boots up, blank screen until my Kodi skin shows up (no OS Verif, no BIOS, no OE logo, no Kodi logo), but works fine. This is what I'm using for now.
3) UHD Color Enabled & autostart.sh removed -- boots up, but blank screen. I ssh in and run xrandr and see that current res is 4096x2160 @ 24Hz.
4) Ctrl-D at boot to ChromeOS is a blank screen all the time (but works on my older 1080p monitor's HDMI)

So I'm halfway there, was just hoping to find a way to be able to see the boot screens and ChromeOS. I'm wondering if there's a way to prevent the Chromebox from attempting to connect at 4k from the get go (I'm assuming the autostart.sh only kicks in when OE starts to boot.)

Excellent wiki, btw. I hadn't read it in a while and it is one of the most solid out there.

Any other guidance would be appreciated. Not sure where to go from here. Thanks.

there's no reason the ChromeBox shouldn't work properly at 2160p24/30 - in fact I've set up several that way for friends/customers. Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of experience with 4K TVs, and none with the Samsungs, but it sure sounds like a glitch on their end. Have you tried googling for others having similar issues with that particular model or series set? The only thing I can think of to try and work around the issue from this end would be to blacklist the 4K modes in the video BIOS, forcing it to output 1080p60 max, but I'm not sure I can do that, nor do I have any way of testing it.

thanks for the kind words on the wiki. It's far from where I'd like, but we're dealing with a lot of highly technical firmware-related issues, and distilling that down into something functional for users with a wide range of technical knowledge is a tough job indeed. I'd love to have more input from the community, but that's been hard to come by.

Well, made more progress. Turns out I had a lot going against me. Sure enough, the latest firmware on the Samsung 4k TV released this week resolves some HDMI signaling issues. I was still having some issues besides this and realized that I connect the Chromebox via HDMI cables going through the wall. These cables turned out to be older "Standard" HDMI cables, and Samsung noted to use High Speed HDMI Cables only. After bypassing this cable (which I had tried before with older firmware and no success) and using a newer High Speed Cable I have (HDMI 2.0 compatible, although I'm sure 1.4 would work, too), the Chromebox BOOTS NORMALLY, as does ChromeOS. This is all only true if that "UHD Color" setting in the Samsung TV is ON. I decided to set my resolution at 1080p since the 4k res looked a bit choppy, especially when playing back some of my mpeg2 TV recordings. So yeah, combo of firmware update, cabling change, and UHD Color setting got me there. Now I just need to run some new HDMI cables through my wall!! Thanks for sticking with me Matt, hopefully this helps other folks that will start coming along with 4k TVs.
(2015-12-16, 07:28)giant25 Wrote: Well, made more progress. Turns out I had a lot going against me. Sure enough, the latest firmware on the Samsung 4k TV released this week resolves some HDMI signaling issues. I was still having some issues besides this and realized that I connect the Chromebox via HDMI cables going through the wall. These cables turned out to be older "Standard" HDMI cables, and Samsung noted to use High Speed HDMI Cables only. After bypassing this cable (which I had tried before with older firmware and no success) and using a newer High Speed Cable I have (HDMI 2.0 compatible, although I'm sure 1.4 would work, too), the Chromebox BOOTS NORMALLY, as does ChromeOS. This is all only true if that "UHD Color" setting in the Samsung TV is ON. I decided to set my resolution at 1080p since the 4k res looked a bit choppy, especially when playing back some of my mpeg2 TV recordings. So yeah, combo of firmware update, cabling change, and UHD Color setting got me there. Now I just need to run some new HDMI cables through my wall!! Thanks for sticking with me Matt, hopefully this helps other folks that will start coming along with 4k TVs.

not sure why the UHD color setting would have any effect, sounds like it does more than just that. The ChromeBox is limited to 30Hz output via HDMI at 4K, due to having a HDMI 1.4 port, and this would be especially apparent with 60fps material like broadcast TV. If you want 60Hz output, you'll need to use a DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter, such as this. I haven't yet tested it myself, but do have one ordered, and plan on testing on a friend's 4K set.
(2015-12-16, 01:22)Matt Devo Wrote: Thanks for replying. I would like to do the latter "set the boot options back to default (which removes the dev mode lock) and then re-enable verified boot mode. Either way, run the script and set the boot options as desired."

the titular script of this post, linked in the first post. If CTRL-ALT-F2 on the ChromeOS login screen doesn't give you a terminal shell, then either your keyboard isn't cooperating, you need to press a 'fn' key on the keyboard for F2 to work, or your device isn't in developer mode.

Thanks. I was hitting CTRL-ALT-F2 on the wrong screen. Once I got to the command line screen I was able to run your script and "reset the device back to factory" and the OS verification turned back on once I hit the space bar. It now reboots straight back into Chrome OS without pausing, thanks again for your help.
(2015-12-16, 09:52)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-12-16, 07:28)giant25 Wrote: Well, made more progress. Turns out I had a lot going against me. Sure enough, the latest firmware on the Samsung 4k TV released this week resolves some HDMI signaling issues. I was still having some issues besides this and realized that I connect the Chromebox via HDMI cables going through the wall. These cables turned out to be older "Standard" HDMI cables, and Samsung noted to use High Speed HDMI Cables only. After bypassing this cable (which I had tried before with older firmware and no success) and using a newer High Speed Cable I have (HDMI 2.0 compatible, although I'm sure 1.4 would work, too), the Chromebox BOOTS NORMALLY, as does ChromeOS. This is all only true if that "UHD Color" setting in the Samsung TV is ON. I decided to set my resolution at 1080p since the 4k res looked a bit choppy, especially when playing back some of my mpeg2 TV recordings. So yeah, combo of firmware update, cabling change, and UHD Color setting got me there. Now I just need to run some new HDMI cables through my wall!! Thanks for sticking with me Matt, hopefully this helps other folks that will start coming along with 4k TVs.

not sure why the UHD color setting would have any effect, sounds like it does more than just that. The ChromeBox is limited to 30Hz output via HDMI at 4K, due to having a HDMI 1.4 port, and this would be especially apparent with 60fps material like broadcast TV. If you want 60Hz output, you'll need to use a DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter, such as this. I haven't yet tested it myself, but do have one ordered, and plan on testing on a friend's 4K set.
I would like to go 4k @ 60 Hz, and I've read about that adapter (not in stock anywhere!). Definitely post if that works and I'll do the same.
Matt, I have the Asus Chromebox and did the stand alone install Openelec about a year ago. I wonder if I have to do the BIOS upgrade all over again?
Hi Guys first time poster here so go easy.

I have had an Asus Chromebox set up for about 6 months but recently somehow I wiped Kodi of it so I've went through the setup process again and got as far as entering the scripts. I've selected Number 2 for dual boot Kodi/ Chrome OS which is what I had before but this is were i come unstuck!!! My TV screen I have it connected up to needs calibrated once i get into Kodi so I am having problems seeing what the next option is and what I need to select. Can anyone help me out please :-)
Okay, if anyone is still looking for a tester of the Lenovo Broadwell i3, I just pulled the trigger, and should have it just before xmas.
I originally had the most common box on here, the m004u, running 4GB RAM, 64GB SSD, and Linux mint, and was nonplussed by the video performance on streaming sites, etc....
Also, things could get pretty choppy after some use with my subsonic music server.

Sold that several months ago, and am just now getting back into the game; we really miss our setup!
I bought the 10h30000us model, with 4GB onboard
I was really encouraged by the updates made in the last couple days, and why I think I'll really be happy with the bigger, newer, and faster processor, but more importantly, a dedicated 5500 GPU

I read the arguments on whether the new gen is cost-effective; hey, i just had some gift cards to cash in, so it's whatever

- Looking forward to locating\removing the write protect screw
- Anxious to see how much better wifi reception is with the external antenna
- I plan to do coreboot, run the script, and follow instructions for SEABOOT, with the 16GB SSD, and then after I get all that, drop my 64GB SSD back into the new unit, and go from there

don't bother welcoming me tho, I've been lurking for a loooooooong time, and I check Matt's updates on his G+ page daily.
  • 389(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37