• 395(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2016-01-08, 15:48)D-an-W Wrote: Hi Matt, can I just check the text below is "normal" when updating the firmware?

not at all. The issue was that I added a bootorder file to the firmware to give the internal ssd explicit boot priority (previously it was implicit, but could be superseded by USB devices which present as a CD/DVDROM). The firmware update script was trying to add the bootorder file giving USB devices explicit preference, but couldn't do so since the file already exists, hence the output you received.

Issue is now fixed, so go ahead and update again if you want USB boot priority.
Thanks Matt, worked fine this time.
Hey Guys - Love using the Asus Chromebox running the Openelec script....been using it for past 1y+ w/no issues.

Question - I have an extra asus chromebox laying here and instead of slapping this script on, i was wondering if anyone here has successfully created a retro gaming system using the chromebox? either by using retromania build (currently says for Nvidia Shield) or using Lakka ... http://www.lakka.tv/

Thanks!
I tried out lakka on one and it worked fine. However I am not a gamer so replaced it with OE. It was more a curiosity thing for me, so I didn't delve too far.

Pretty sure lakka is based on OE.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-01-08, 23:46)nickr Wrote: I tried out lakka on one and it worked fine. However I am not a gamer so replaced it with OE. It was more a curiosity thing for me, so I didn't delve too far.

Pretty sure lakka is based on OE.

Awesome man...good info. I will give it a shot this weekend and update all.
(2016-01-08, 06:20)Matt Devo Wrote: that's disappointing to hear, mine arrives tomorrow and will be testing it on a friend's Vizio 4K set. Maybe it will have better luck there. It's also possible that Intel's Linux drivers are borked for 4K/60Hz output so I'll be testing Windows as well.
Is this really surprising? The U class Haswell processors used in the Chromebox can't do "4k" at 60Hz via SST. It can do it via MST. Can OpenELEC drive 4k at 60Hz via MST? Also, I looked at the product page for the Club3D adapter and it's not clear if the adapter supports MST "4k" to HDMI 2.0.
+1
Mine arrives Monday. Skipping the Chromebox and trying it out on my i5 Broadwell NUC with my UN65JS8500 and Amazon's newest high speed HDMI cables. If this is a no go then one vendor failed to hold up their end of the bargain.
(2016-01-08, 23:32)loki05 Wrote: Hey Guys - Love using the Asus Chromebox running the Openelec script....been using it for past 1y+ w/no issues.

Question - I have an extra asus chromebox laying here and instead of slapping this script on, i was wondering if anyone here has successfully created a retro gaming system using the chromebox? either by using retromania build (currently says for Nvidia Shield) or using Lakka ... http://www.lakka.tv/

Thanks!

as a rule of thumb, if it works on a NUC (or any other regular PC), it will work on the Chromebox w/standalone firmware. Lakka being OpenELEC based works perfectly fine, as does the RetroArch OE addon. Anything that's for Android / ARM-based boxes like the Shield TV is not going to work.

(2016-01-09, 02:07)Stereodude Wrote: Is this really surprising? The U class Haswell processors used in the Chromebox can't do "4k" at 60Hz via SST. It can do it via MST. Can OpenELEC drive 4k at 60Hz via MST? Also, I looked at the product page for the Club3D adapter and it's not clear if the adapter supports MST "4k" to HDMI 2.0.

That is what the spec says, but I've also heard otherwise from Intel engineers, so who knows. I might also have a Broadwell-U based box to test on soon. But since I got it from Amazon, if it doesn't work, I'll send it back, no harm done.
Just for giggles, I tried the fritsch build and a new HDMI cable advertising 18 GBPS with the new Club3D adapter I mentioned earlier. No improvement or difference.
(2016-01-08, 23:32)loki05 Wrote: Hey Guys - Love using the Asus Chromebox running the Openelec script....been using it for past 1y+ w/no issues.

Thanks!

Haven't tried Lakka, but I run Retroarch on OpenELEC and it emulates Master System, Mega Drive / Genesis, SNES, Mame, N64 etc very well. The PSX emulator kind of works, but isn't perfect (the power is there I think, but the emulator itself isn't perfect). Works great with an Xbox controller.

I'm still on OpenELEC 5.0.8 but I'm guessing you can get it working on 6.0.0.
(2016-01-11, 12:13)lancastrian Wrote:

Thanks!

Haven't tried Lakka, but I run Retroarch on OpenELEC and it emulates Master System, Mega Drive / Genesis, SNES, Mame, N64 etc very well. The PSX emulator kind of works, but isn't perfect (the power is there I think, but the emulator itself isn't perfect). Works great with an Xbox controller.

This is very much off topic for this thread, but is there a for dummies guide to installing and setting up Retroarch? Or is it like Linux stuff in general: try to get things to work the hard wayTongue I've got a lot of retro gaming stuff and would love to use the Chromebox for those needs as well.
(2016-01-11, 12:16)Boulder Wrote:
(2016-01-11, 12:13)lancastrian Wrote:

Thanks!

This is very much off topic for this thread, but is there a for dummies guide to installing and setting up Retroarch? Or is it like Linux stuff in general: try to get things to work the hard wayTongue I've got a lot of retro gaming stuff and would love to use the Chromebox for those needs as well.

It took a bit of messing around to get it working properly for me, but I think a lot of that was due to incompatibilty between an older build and the newer (at the time) version of OpenELEC.

The latest build appears to be http://openelec.tv/forum/128-addons/7840...by-tssemek so is probably a good place to start.

The threads I used for guidance were http://openelec.tv/forum/128-addons/6497...32-64-bits and http://openelec.tv/forum/128-addons/7153...ch-friends. These will be outdated now, but may still be some use.

(It has to be noted that one of the reasons I haven't updated to 6.0.0 is that I didn't want to upset Retroarch now it works how I want it!)
Was recommened to come here and ask the question. Complete NOOB here. Bought a CN60 from a friend that bought it on EBay with a standalone setup. I wanted to do a fresh start with dual boot ChromeOS and OpenElec. I tried doing the button reset obliviously that didn't work because the button doesn't is now inactive. Then I tried with the Chrome Utility that obviously didn't work. Then I downloaded Ubuntu 15.10 that didn't work and then I downloaded Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS and did the run but not install option and I got an error stating "unable to find medium containing live file system." and this is where I am stuck. I foresee getting stuck after this too so please bear with me lolol.
(2016-01-11, 22:13)eLMushi Wrote: Was recommened to come here and ask the question. Complete NOOB here. Bought a CN60 from a friend that bought it on EBay with a standalone setup. I wanted to do a fresh start with dual boot ChromeOS and OpenElec. I tried doing the button reset obliviously that didn't work because the button doesn't is now inactive. Then I tried with the Chrome Utility that obviously didn't work. Then I downloaded Ubuntu 15.10 that didn't work and then I downloaded Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS and did the run but not install option and I got an error stating "unable to find medium containing live file system." and this is where I am stuck. I foresee getting stuck after this too so please bear with me lolol.

use a Ubuntu 14.04.3/15.04 USB to boot, and use Rufus to create the install media (assuming you're on Windows). The "unable to find medium containing live file system." error sounds like an issue with the USB media creation - the Chromebox shouldn't have any issues booting it. 15.10 has a kernel bug that requires booting with acpi=off, as documented in the wiki

after booting Ubuntu,set up a network connection, then run the ChromeBox firmware script as per the wiki. Restore the stock firmware, then reboot. Reload ChromeOS using the recovery media (created using google's tool or the wiki download), then follow the instructions for a dual boot setup
(2016-01-09, 02:48)onizuka Wrote: +1
Mine arrives Monday. Skipping the Chromebox and trying it out on my i5 Broadwell NUC with my UN65JS8500 and Amazon's newest high speed HDMI cables. If this is a no go then one vendor failed to hold up their end of the bargain.

Confirmed no go on my setup. Bummer......just a red static image with a a green stripe at the top
  • 395(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37