• 396(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Since the Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Club3D adapter didn't work with the Chromebox, I decided to try it on my PC once I realized my video card has a DP 1.2 port. I have a Radeon HD 7770, so I plugged the adapter in and connected a high speed HDMI cable to my Samsung 4k TV. I was able to connect at 3840x2160p @ 60 Hz with no problem. I tested a few youtube videos in 4k 60fps to be sure, which all looked amazing. The Windows 7 desktop itself sprawls forever and the icons/text are tiny. I opened Kodi and everything worked as it should, but didn't have any 4k content to view within. Looks like the adapter itself works just fine.
I don't know if anyone has seen/heard of the Remix OS (android) by Jide. It's available to download and run via USB on any x86 computer. Is there anyway to run it just as Windows runs via USB? It'd be a great way to run Kodi through android, along with many other apps.
(2016-01-12, 17:26)kazmifar Wrote: I don't know if anyone has seen/heard of the Remix OS (android) by Jide. It's available to download and run via USB on any x86 computer. Is there anyway to run it just as Windows runs via USB? It'd be a great way to run Kodi through android, along with many other apps.
You appear to answer your own question before you ask it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Is the fan control issue in Windows10 really solved?

I have the latest script (2016-01-03) installed on my HP Chromebox (Celeron 2955U). I put in a new big M.2. SSD and installed Windows10 on it. Bur I dont think that the fan works without speedfan.

I ask because with script 3.10 the changelog states that fan control issues are fixed for Windows ?
(2016-01-14, 11:50)sylvio2000 Wrote: Is the fan control issue in Windows10 really solved?

I have the latest script (2016-01-03) installed on my HP Chromebox (Celeron 2955U). I put in a new big M.2. SSD and installed Windows10 on it. Bur I dont think that the fan works without speedfan.

I ask because with script 3.10 the changelog states that fan control issues are fixed for Windows ?

don't have Windows setup to test at the moment, but there's no harm in running Speedfan at startup just to be safe
In both Windows 10 and 8.1 fresh installs I tested speedfan won't start by itself or by placing the .exe under startup folder.
This method is what really worked: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3krml2Hm8Sk
I use that (with log enabled) + speedfan add-on in kodi to check temperatures.

By the way does anyone know what temp1 and temp3 are for the Chromebox? I think temp1 is GPU but not sure.
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
nearly a million views, Is this the most popular thread ever on kodi?
(2016-01-14, 17:57)Veronica Wrote: In both Windows 10 and 8.1 fresh installs I tested speedfan won't start by itself or by placing the .exe under startup folder.
This method is what really worked: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3krml2Hm8Sk
I use that (with log enabled) + speedfan add-on in kodi to check temperatures.

By the way does anyone know what temp1 and temp3 are for the Chromebox? I think temp1 is GPU but not sure.

you can't just drop it in startup since it requires admin permissions to run, you have to do it via scheduled task or otherwise (which I'm guessing is how the video shows to do it). Pretty sure there's only one sensor on the Chromebox, on the CPU/GPU (which are on the same die). The SSD has it's own, but that's clearly reported as such

(2016-01-14, 18:55)stuCONNERS Wrote: nearly a million views, Is this the most popular thread ever on kodi?

The Amazon Fire TV has almost double, and the 3rd/4th gen NUCs have more as well, but it's pretty cool regardless Smile This thread does have more replies though
Ok. I will use Speedfan to be sure.

Is there any special setting in speedfan for the Chromebox? Speedfan autostarts with scheduled tasks but it seems that some settings are changed after a restart of Speedfan?

Hey Matt, thanks for all your help. I got it all set up *phew*. On my Samsung 4K I'm getting no signal I saw it in the wiki but is there any other fix for this problem for the dual boot setup besides unplugging the HDMI and turning on the chromebox and plugging in the HDMI? My regular Samsung LED TV it works flawless.
Hi there,

Hopefully this is the right place to ask...i mistakenly set my asus chromebox to boot from usb thinking it would fail to hdd...this is not the case, it wants to wait 60 seconds to retry.

is there a way to get back in and change it to boot from hdd?

thanks!
(2016-01-15, 08:59)sylvio2000 Wrote: Ok. I will use Speedfan to be sure.

Is there any special setting in speedfan for the Chromebox? Speedfan autostarts with scheduled tasks but it seems that some settings are changed after a restart of Speedfan?

setting it to auto and to run at startup should be sufficient

(2016-01-15, 18:46)eLMushi Wrote:
(2016-01-14, 14:39)Matt Devo Wrote:

Hey Matt, thanks for all your help. I got it all set up *phew*. On my Samsung 4K I'm getting no signal I saw it in the wiki but is there any other fix for this problem for the dual boot setup besides unplugging the HDMI and turning on the chromebox and plugging in the HDMI? My regular Samsung LED TV it works flawless.

did you try the fix listed in the wiki for vizio 4k sets?

(2016-01-15, 23:18)distracto Wrote: Hi there,

Hopefully this is the right place to ask...i mistakenly set my asus chromebox to boot from usb thinking it would fail to hdd...this is not the case, it wants to wait 60 seconds to retry.

is there a way to get back in and change it to boot from hdd?

thanks!

just re-run the script and choose the same option as before (update firmware or update legacy boot), but this time choose N for boot from USB.
Hi, NOOB needs help. Was doing great installing stand alone OE with Kodi. Here is where I got to:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Create OpenELEC USB/SD Installer (standalone)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This option will create a bootable USB/SD OpenELEC install media, which can then be used to install OpenELEC in standalone mode. The script downloads the exact same file as you would from OpenELEC's website, the function is just added here for convenience.

"After completion, reboot and press [ESC] at the boot menu prompt, and select the USB device for installation."

The "esc" key on my previously working keyboard will not function so I am stuck at the boot menu promt.

Any suggestions how to get past this hurdle would be appreciated.
(2016-01-16, 01:20)camshaft Wrote: Hi, NOOB needs help. Was doing great installing stand alone OE with Kodi. Here is where I got to:

"After completion, reboot and press [ESC] at the boot menu prompt, and select the USB device for installation."

The "esc" key on my previously working keyboard will not function so I am stuck at the boot menu promt.

Any suggestions how to get past this hurdle would be appreciated.

wiki says:

Quote:
  • If you have a standalone setup, and are trying to boot from USB:
    If you see the 'Press ESC for boot menu' text but pressing it doesn't work, then the issue is your keyboard, so try using a different one.
My chromebox has been behaving super weird lately. Nothing wrong with it at all, just being really strange, let me explain.

Running the latest firmware and 6.0.98 like I have been for weeks. Just yesterday, whenever I boot the chromebox (from power off). It turns on SUPER QUICK, no boot flash screen to select boot from USB or anything, just boots directly in to kodi at lightning speed, like as it was waking from suspend.

I tried powering off and on the chromebox like 10 times throughout the day yesterday to see if the behavior would persist, and it does lol. Only one time out of like 10 did the flash screen at boot up pop up, every other time, directly in to Kodi lol.

Lol yeah, I'm not really complaining, since I never boot from USB and this is even better, but super weird none the less. Right? Or wrong?
  • 396(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37