• 3(current)
A serious examination of 1080p hi10p hardware requirements
(2016-01-16, 05:13)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2016-01-15, 19:41)Alan BStard Wrote: Some Hi10p processing can be handed to hardware, and this can make the difference between choppy and smooth playback.

At least this youtube video about Hi10p testfile playback on Acer Iconia W4 tablet with Intel Atom Baytrail CPU using Media Player Classic Homecinema suggests so:
http://youtu.be/Eryqjsv53gs
Well, this isn't really hardware decoding though it is technically impressive. MadVR is using shaders to get the GPU to assist the CPU in decoding, which is a smart way to go about it, but this isn't the same as hardware decoding.
There are and will be no hardware decoders for 10bit h264, only for 10bit h265, it's a dead end, so beats my why it's a de facto standard in anime instead of h265.
But there seems to be enough that can be handed over to hardware to get things smooth... if only software supports this.

Like, I have received no word from QNAP whether Kodi on QNAP mediaplayer NASes makes use of these hardware capabilities.
I want to get a TS-451 (Celeron J1800) or a TS-451+ (J1900) for storage and playback, but not unless I know they will play most of reasonable 1080p Hi10p content.

(EDIT: UPDATE: and I was wrong, boxes claiming hardware-accelerated 4K 10bit h264 hardware are already pre-selling)
It's the anime scene - they don't care about if their releases are playable ..
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Bizarrely, it looks like Rockchip are likely to support hardware acceleration H264 Hi10 in one of their new chips according to cnx-soft. Presumably to allow ripped off content to be played more easily...
(2016-01-17, 00:03)fritsch Wrote: It's the anime scene - they don't care about if their releases are playable ..

The good news is, they'll be the first to jump on HEVC hard, then the problem solves itself!
(2016-01-17, 06:37)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2016-01-17, 00:03)fritsch Wrote: It's the anime scene - they don't care about if their releases are playable ..

The good news is, they'll be the first to jump on HEVC hard, then the problem solves itself!

Does not look like it as of now. HEVC encoders are really slow. And also remember: hevc 10 bit is currently only decoded on AMLogic chips and most likely some Android SOCs - linux / windows with e.g. Nvidia GTX950+ or upcoming AMD chips / Intel Chips don't have support as of now via ffmpeg. Neither in linux nor in windows (*)

* Some pocs for windows exist, but they are currently custom builds with cherry-picked code from lavfilters
https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/ma...xva2.c#L55 <- only 8 bit as of now
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-01-17, 09:39)fritsch Wrote: Does not look like it as of now. HEVC encoders are really slow. And also remember: hevc 10 bit is currently only decoded on AMLogic chips and most likely some Android SOCs - linux / windows with e.g. Nvidia GTX950+ or upcoming AMD chips / Intel Chips don't have support as of now via ffmpeg. Neither in linux nor in windows (*)

* Some pocs for windows exist, but they are currently custom builds with cherry-picked code from lavfilters
https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/ma...xva2.c#L55 <- only 8 bit as of now

To most of that, all I have to say is 'You say that as if the anime scene cares about hardware decoding support'. Tongue
They honestly don't need to care. But I also don't need to care if their content is played correctly by kodi :-)

So yeah, two parties that don't care.

Color banding has been a major pain in anime for ages. Moving intermediate processing to 30bit colorspace is an important advantage there, regardless of source video and target display being 24bit. And if HEVC encoders are as slow as you say, I'm beginning to understand the releasers a bit.
(2016-01-16, 09:05)fritsch Wrote: kodi does not accelerate hevc-10 bit as of now. FFmpeg misses the infrastructure to do so.

Does it accelerate 10bit h264 if hardware has the capability? With regards to the Rockchip RK3229.

And is there any indication there will be 10bit h265 acceleration?
No.
(2016-01-20, 00:12)Alan BStard Wrote:
(2016-01-16, 09:05)fritsch Wrote: kodi does not accelerate hevc-10 bit as of now. FFmpeg misses the infrastructure to do so.
Does it accelerate 10bit h264 if hardware has the capability?
There are no hardware that offer accelerated video decoding of 10-bit H.264 support, period. Not on on any operating-system or hardware architecture platform.

10-bit H.264 was never made into a universal standard so that is why no hardware manufacturers will ever bother to add support for it. Especially now that
10-bit HEVC (H.265) has been made into a universal standard.

Why would a hardware manufacturer spend time and money to add it when there is no commercial value in it. There is not like the Netflix and YouTube streaming video services will ever begin to stream videos using 10-bit H.264
(2016-01-20, 13:15)RockerC Wrote:
Does it accelerate 10bit h264 if hardware has the capability?
There are no hardware that offer accelerated video decoding of 10-bit H.264 support, period. Not on on any operating-system or hardware architecture platform.

10-bit H.264 was never made into a universal standard so that is why no hardware manufacturers will ever bother to add support for it. Especially now that
10-bit HEVC (H.265) has been made into a universal standard.

Why would a hardware manufacturer spend time and money to add it when there is no commercial value in it. There is not like the Netflix and YouTube streaming video services will ever begin to stream videos using 10-bit H.264

Apparently that may no longer be the case RockerC : http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/01/15/s...ory-price/

Rockchip appear to have added 10bit H264 support in hardware to the RK3229.
Quote:However, it is one of the rare platforms, actually the only I know of baring software decode, that supports 10-bit H.264, so you should be able to play the many anime videos distributed with that codec.

Of course Rockchip support is horrible, so the chances of it being useful 10 bit H264 support in an Open Source developed app like Kodi is quite low - but if this report is to be believed there is hardware out there.

I'm guessing Sunchip are appealing to the Anime community (who effectively pirate content) as they know they won't get any DRM support for a Netflix type service...

AND PLEASE NOTE I'M NOT RECOMMENDING THIS BOX. QUITE THE OPPOSITE
(2016-01-20, 09:40)fritsch Wrote:
Does it accelerate 10bit h264 if hardware has the capability? With regards to the Rockchip RK3229.

And is there any indication there will be 10bit h265 acceleration?
No.
"No" as in "no hardware acceleration for 10bit h264" or "no indications of upcoming 10bit h265" ?

Android Kodi boxes with "4K 10bit h264 & 10bit h265 hardware acceleration" are already preselling.
But if Kodi cannot actually accelerate either of them, then I wonder...
I wonder if the specs given to CNX were wrong. I would be very surprised if any SoC bothered with hi10P in hardware, even Rockchip.
(2016-01-21, 02:01)Ned Scott Wrote: I wonder if the specs given to CNX were wrong. I would be very surprised if any SoC bothered with hi10P in hardware, even Rockchip.

I thought that - but stranger things have happened. My WDTV Live does 4:2:2 MPEG2 (which was a big surprise I found out by accident). I've seldom found any hardware outside the broadcast sphere that does 4:2:2 anything...
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A serious examination of 1080p hi10p hardware requirements0