• 153(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2016-01-22, 23:27)ozkhan1 Wrote: Thats a first. Boxee Box performing better than Shield. Who would have thunk?
Um, nope! Boxee Box has always suffered from HD audio dropouts, which Intel needed to address in the SoC being used & never did.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Stumbled upon this on XDA... a way to get Amazon Prime Video on Shield TV & Nexus Player.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-01-25, 23:54)hdmkv Wrote: Stumbled upon this on XDA... a way to get Amazon Prime Video on Shield TV & Nexus Player.

Nice, I just set this up and it worked fine. Loaded a few shows and they streamed properly. No voice search integration, but that's ok.
(2016-01-23, 17:25)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 23:27)ozkhan1 Wrote: Thats a first. Boxee Box performing better than Shield. Who would have thunk?
Um, nope! Boxee Box has always suffered from HD audio dropouts, which Intel needed to address in the SoC being used & never did.

that was my point. Its a defunct piece of hardware. I dont know how can it outperform Shield. Does not sound right to me at all.
I have a Firetv 2 remote paired and the voice and FF work on the app... Wining!!!
FYI, Microcenter (USA based PC superstore) has a special deal going for the Shield, free remote with purchase.

Click here for more info
(2016-01-26, 17:22)Karnis Wrote: FYI, Microcenter (USA based PC superstore) has a special deal going for the Shield, free remote with purchase.

Click here for more info

Are talking about the same deal that Nvidia and Amazon have had for at least a couple of months now.

https://shield.nvidia.com/android-tv

http://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD-Stre...rds=shield
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I'm currently undecided if I should go with the Shield or Beebox (Intel N3150) and Openelec.

Judging just from a Kodi perspective, which box do you guys think is better? I don't really need Android TV since my TV has this as well, so the Shield would be only used for Kodi and nothing else.

I already ordered both boxes but how should I compare these two? My content is mainly 1080p Movies, Shows and Anime - I don't think I have a lot of Hi10p content so I'd be willing to reencode this. However as my new TV is 4K, I will get more and more 4K Content (currently still with H264). All Demo Movies I have are HEVC 10-bit, so neither box will be able to handle this anyway.

HD Audio Passthrough (DTS and DTS-HD etc.) to an external Receiver is a must but as I noticed, there is a Beta Version for the Shield which allows this. And the Beebox should allow for this out of the box. 24 fps Playback should also work on both.

So I really don't know which one I should keep then. Did I forget anything important?
Intel N3150 - doesn't have support for true 4K since it doesn't have hdmi 2.0 and it's capped at 4k@30hz, also doesn't know hdmi-cec and a separate adapter must be bought.
(2016-01-23, 06:54)drhill Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 22:56)e3henri Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 18:04)drhill Wrote: "Koying's build OR the v17 builds". Typo. Still that isn't the important part of the statement. Official Kodi 16 has no audio or visual issues. Passthrough is an fluff feature for anyone who doesn't have an Atmos/DTS:X receiver and content.
Sorry for adding water on the meaningless pass-through issue (it will sound the same ...period) Smile
But I dont understand the statement of "no audio and visual issues", well I have lots of issues with my Kodi16 on SHield compared to Boxee box. Maybe you say that it is not a Kodi problem, but anyway most of my DVD rip have stuttering issues or audio out of sync (regardless of acceleration is turned on or off) and they played absolutly fine on Boxee box.

I have no issues with all of my blu ray rips (direct rip to mkv). If you are having issues it isn't anything to do with the Shield unless yours is defective.
I have direct ISO rips (no transcoding, just removing the menues and not needed audio tracks).
They are normal PAL 50hz 576i.

They play fine on boxee box (and other media players), but on Shield/kodi it can result in stuttering (often resolved by stopping and resuming the file - reported by other as well), and you are saying that it is not a Shield problem? Seriously, how can I possibly respond to such statement? Smile

I just tried an abyss dvd rip and it is stuttering and have serious deinterlacing problems (partly solved by changing the default settings).

Tried the same rip on kodi on windows...no problem
(2016-01-27, 21:24)e3henri Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 22:56)e3henri Wrote: Sorry for adding water on the meaningless pass-through issue (it will sound the same ...period) Smile
But I dont understand the statement of "no audio and visual issues", well I have lots of issues with my Kodi16 on SHield compared to Boxee box. Maybe you say that it is not a Kodi problem, but anyway most of my DVD rip have stuttering issues or audio out of sync (regardless of acceleration is turned on or off) and they played absolutly fine on Boxee box.

I have no issues with all of my blu ray rips (direct rip to mkv). If you are having issues it isn't anything to do with the Shield unless yours is defective.
I have direct ISO rips (no transcoding, just removing the menues and not needed audio tracks).

They play fine on boxee box (and other media players), but on Shield/kodi it can result in stuttering (often resolved by stopping and resuming the file - reported by other as well), and you are saying that it is not a Shield problem? Seriously, how can I possibly respond to such statement? Smile

I just tried an abyss dvd rip and it is stuttering and have serious deinterlacing problems (partly solved by changing the default settings).

Have you really tried this?
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk
(2016-01-27, 21:37)querty1000 Wrote:
(2016-01-23, 06:54)drhill Wrote: I have no issues with all of my blu ray rips (direct rip to mkv). If you are having issues it isn't anything to do with the Shield unless yours is defective.

No I'm on 16 beta4. What is this?
(2016-01-22, 22:56)e3henri Wrote: Sorry for adding water on the meaningless pass-through issue (it will sound the same ...period) Smile

Well some people have complained about 50hz material before. I think some of it was related to 25hz material showing @ 50hz which "should" be fine but has issues. Fortunately for me I don't like in PAL land (shudder @ 50hz Wink ). I regularly play 23.976 blu ray rips with HD audio being decoded to LPCM with very high bit rate video without problems. I also have 59.94 1080i documentaries play and deinterlace fine.

Edit: Try this: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2155343
(2016-01-27, 21:49)e3henri Wrote:
(2016-01-27, 21:37)querty1000 Wrote:
(2016-01-27, 21:24)e3henri Wrote: I have direct ISO rips (no transcoding, just removing the menues and not needed audio tracks).

No I'm on 16 beta4. What is this?
mainly a build that fixes sound and passthrough, but it fixes other things for me like audio lags, stuttering etc. Its based on 16rc1 and worth a try.
For the special 25 Hz at 50Hz TV stuttering see other links
Has nVidia officially said anything about HDMI 2.0a and 10bit support in future firmware upgrades?

EDIT: Reason I ask is that I want to try the HDR democlips from http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr to see if my TV support HDMI 2.0a with HDR over HDMI.
AppleTV 4K, LG 65E6 OLED TV, Marantz NR1606, Harmony Elite
  • 153(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9