• 154(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2016-01-27, 23:13)querty1000 Wrote:
(2016-01-27, 21:49)e3henri Wrote:
(2016-01-27, 21:37)querty1000 Wrote: Have you really tried this?
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk
No I'm on 16 beta4. What is this?
mainly a build that fixes sound and passthrough, but it fixes other things for me like audio lags, stuttering etc. Its based on 16rc1 and worth a try.
For the special 25 Hz at 50Hz TV stuttering see other links
Do you mean that there a special builds for that issue as well?
Anyway I mostly just watch HD mkw files so this is not a big problem.
For general problems I'm more conserned about audio getting out of sync - seems to happen mostly on live TV plug ins (only on Shield/Android, not on window).
(2016-01-28, 13:00)_Spook_ Wrote: Has nVidia officially said anything about HDMI 2.0a and 10bit support in future firmware upgrades?
Nope, not yet at least. Been requested many times on their forums but no official representivites have promised anything:

http://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/...uest-2-0-/

Guess that it is more likley we will hear more after they have released a firmware version based on Android 6.0.
I have a question regarding SMB and NFS Shares. My other HTPCs are all Intel based running Openelec. These are configured using DHCP and can find the SMB Shares and NFS shares without problems. I'm running a Windows Server 2012 R2.

When I started the Shield, also configured via DHCP (wired network) I could find the NFS shares but could not access them for some reason. But SMB shares were not found at all. Usually when you search for SMB it first lists the Workgroup and then all hosts in that workgroup. I had to input the smb share manually by typing smb://IP and then I also needed a username and password - I never needed this, I think the default is something like guest / guest for read access. I tried this but it didn't work, so I had to sign in with a real username and password.

It played movies just fine, but I was wondering if this behavior is normal for Android based devices or if there is something wrong with my setup?
(2016-01-29, 10:05)RockerC Wrote:
(2016-01-28, 13:00)_Spook_ Wrote: Has nVidia officially said anything about HDMI 2.0a and 10bit support in future firmware upgrades?
Nope, not yet at least. Been requested many times on their forums but no official representivites have promised anything:

http://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/...uest-2-0-/

Guess that it is more likley we will hear more after they have released a firmware version based on Android 6.0.

Ok. Thanks. I will get one and see what the future brings Smile
AppleTV 4K, LG 65E6 OLED TV, Marantz NR1606, Harmony Elite
Nothing officially, but one senior executive from nVIDIA has privately informed an AnandTech reviewer that HDMI 2.0a and HDR will be supported in a future firmware. SATV already outputs 10-bit Rec. 2020 from Netflix 4K. 10-bit output is only a software limitation (app) on SATV.
hey all - love kodi on this device - my one issue. If I chromecast something, or go to youtube, while watching something on Kodi, Kodi will continue to play in the background and it will play the sound over what I'm watching while casting. Is there anyway to at least mute Kodi when switching apps, or, better, pause it?

Thank you.
Android TV version of Aptoide available, an alternative apps source.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-02-01, 17:36)hdmkv Wrote: Android TV version of Aptoide available, an alternative apps source.

What is the benefit of this app store? What kind of apps do they have?

By the way, I am testing out PS 4 Remote play on my shield tv these days. It is pretty good.
No idea yet, but having an alt app store for Shield TV is a start.
My HT
Is the Shield able to play 3D content? I've tried multiple 3D movies (mkv), as well as 3D movies via video add-ons in Kodi and haven't had any luck.
(2016-02-01, 17:36)hdmkv Wrote: Android TV version of Aptoide available, an alternative apps source.

This looks awesome. Hopefully they have more basics. I am frustrated that I've had to side load Spotify and a browser up to this point (how does Google not have a good ATV browser available?!)
(2016-02-01, 19:45)jsteinm1 Wrote:

This looks awesome. Hopefully they have more basics. I am frustrated that I've had to side load Spotify and a browser up to this point (how does Google not have a good ATV browser available?!)

I think they just want to focus on TV centric apps, those you can use on a ten foot interface. While the idea of a browser sounds fine and dandy on a TV, how many actually use it in this day and age of mobile devices? Casting has made that so much easier.
(2016-02-01, 19:44)slateef Wrote: Is the Shield able to play 3D content? I've tried multiple 3D movies (mkv), as well as 3D movies via video add-ons in Kodi and haven't had any luck.
Nope to full 3D, but half-SBS and HOU/TAB will play (as with most media players).
My HT
(2016-01-27, 09:49)falc410 Wrote: I'm currently undecided if I should go with the Shield or Beebox (Intel N3150) and Openelec.

Judging just from a Kodi perspective, which box do you guys think is better? I don't really need Android TV since my TV has this as well, so the Shield would be only used for Kodi and nothing else.

I already ordered both boxes but how should I compare these two? My content is mainly 1080p Movies, Shows and Anime - I don't think I have a lot of Hi10p content so I'd be willing to reencode this. However as my new TV is 4K, I will get more and more 4K Content (currently still with H264). All Demo Movies I have are HEVC 10-bit, so neither box will be able to handle this anyway.

HD Audio Passthrough (DTS and DTS-HD etc.) to an external Receiver is a must but as I noticed, there is a Beta Version for the Shield which allows this. And the Beebox should allow for this out of the box. 24 fps Playback should also work on both.

So I really don't know which one I should keep then. Did I forget anything important?
For running Kodi along, Openelec is probably much better because of additional high quality scaling options
However, N3150 seems to be a quite weak CPU in terms of decoding hi10p, I highly doubt if it can outperform tegra X1
(2016-02-01, 20:48)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-02-01, 19:44)slateef Wrote: Is the Shield able to play 3D content? I've tried multiple 3D movies (mkv), as well as 3D movies via video add-ons in Kodi and haven't had any luck.
Nope to full 3D, but half-SBS and HOU/TAB will play (as with most media players).

What are half-SBS and HOU/TAB? How can I check if my media is that?
  • 154(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9