Subtitles causing KODI to crash
Greetings, all.

Firstly, apologies if this is under the wrong thread as I am new here.

I have been having issues while attempting to watch anime on KODI, if I have subtitles turned on, specific times of specific videos will cause an error "Exception caught on main loop. Exiting". I have tried playing the exact same parts of the video with subtitles turned off, and they played flawlessly, although being an English speaker, I cannot understand what is happening without subtitles. This has happened in several videos thus far.

I have tried this on KODI 16.0, 16.1, and the newest version of 17.0 early access, and it is consistant between them all. I have also tried it with previous AMD drivers from 1 month ago, and the very latest drivers. I have Tested all of this with DXVA2 both turned off and on, but to no avail.

It should be noted that these videos play perfectly with subtitles in VLC Media Player and Windows Media Player, however they are an inconvenience to use.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
i5-2500K
AMD R9 280X
6GB RAM
(2016-06-23, 20:13)Koi Fish Lord Wrote: Greetings, all.

Firstly, apologies if this is under the wrong thread as I am new here.

I have been having issues while attempting to watch anime on KODI, if I have subtitles turned on, specific times of specific videos will cause an error "Exception caught on main loop. Exiting". I have tried playing the exact same parts of the video with subtitles turned off, and they played flawlessly, although being an English speaker, I cannot understand what is happening without subtitles. This has happened in several videos thus far.

I have tried this on KODI 16.0, 16.1, and the newest version of 17.0 early access, and it is consistant between them all. I have also tried it with previous AMD drivers from 1 month ago, and the very latest drivers. I have Tested all of this with DXVA2 both turned off and on, but to no avail.

It should be noted that these videos play perfectly with subtitles in VLC Media Player and Windows Media Player, however they are an inconvenience to use.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
i5-2500K
AMD R9 280X
6GB RAM

You should post a Debug Log for more help. It will help with the troubleshooting. Follow the steps to activate, then once the error occurs get the log and upload. The page linked has all the info you need.
Apologies for the late reply, took me a while to manage to get the log file.

Link is here: Link
Could you provide a sample of the file that cause the issue?
It is episode 4 of Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! as can be downloaded from:

http://adf.ly/4400856/http://hi10anime.u...ime6/sjoe/[Hi10]_Chuunibyou_Demo_Koi_ga_Shitai!_[BD_720p]/(Hi10)_Chuunibyou_Demo_Koi_ga_Shitai!_-_04_(BD_720p)_(FFF)_(49FA4DBB).mkv

For some reason site is not loading link correctly, copy whole link if you do not mind

(Note that this link is unfortunately on Adf.ly, so there will be an annoying 5 second wait, but this is where I originally got the file from) wth subtitles turned on, the video will crash very close to the beginning while the protagonist is writing in class. This is not the only file to do this, but the most readily available one, and the one used in the log
you could set your default video player as VLC,I assume you are running on windows. look here http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Use_externa...on_Android
The issue is that I cannot use Kode (WiFi remote on android phone to control KODI on the desktop PC) if I use VLC as an external media player for KODI, which is an issue as the PC is linked up to a TV in the living room and is used for media with KODI and games with a controller, VLC would make things extremely inconvenient. So I will still need to find a way to stop this error with the default KODI player.
(2016-06-23, 22:09)Koi Fish Lord Wrote: It is episode 4 of Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! as can be downloaded from:

http://adf.ly/4400856/http://hi10anime.u...ime6/sjoe/[Hi10]_Chuunibyou_Demo_Koi_ga_Shitai!_[BD_720p]/(Hi10)_Chuunibyou_Demo_Koi_ga_Shitai!_-_04_(BD_720p)_(FFF)_(49FA4DBB).mkv

For some reason site is not loading link correctly, copy whole link if you do not mind

(Note that this link is unfortunately on Adf.ly, so there will be an annoying 5 second wait, but this is where I originally got the file from) wth subtitles turned on, the video will crash very close to the beginning while the protagonist is writing in class. This is not the only file to do this, but the most readily available one, and the one used in the log

The link does not work for me. Nothing happens after 5 seconds.
Damn, link may have expired >.<. The file can be downloaded from the actual site, but unfortunately, you have to make a free account on the site, so possibly even use a fake e-mail if you feel the need. God, I sound like an advertisement bot -_-. Regardless, the page where this can be downloaded from is http://hi10anime.com/chuunibyou-demo-koi...ga-shitai/ and is episode 4 on that page, but you can only view it once you've made an account. I understand that it is tedious, but would appreciate if someone with more knowledge than me would give it a try in order to troubleshoot. Thanks in advance
Please share the file with me on dropbox or similar. I won't go through those crappy sites and register. I hope you understand this.
Here you go, good sir: Dropbox Link
The good news: I finally got the sample

Only partly good news: the sample plays fine on my Mac

I will throw it on a Windows box tomorrow.
Ah, joys, so there is some hope! The only issue that it has is when it gets to a specific point in the video while subtitles are on, then it crashes. Skipping past it works, but since it happens with random other files too, I can never expect it and end up having my KODI crash. At least there is hope, thank you very much. Hope you figure out the problem Big Grin
No crash on windows
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Does not crash my Windows box either. Nevertheless it seems to be a Windows specific issue triggered by something external.

21:25:11 T:8836 DEBUG: CWinEventsWin32::WndProcWindow is active
21:25:11 T:8836 DEBUG: SECTION:UnloadDll(C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\addons\peripheral.joystick\peripheral.joystick.dll)
21:25:11 T:8836 FATAL: C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\addons\peripheral.joystick\peripheral.joystick.dll is a system dll and should never be released

Does it also crash if you put Kodi into windowed mode?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles causing KODI to crash0