• 34(current)
Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement
What's KODI's position on Community Build / Wizard YouTube videos? Will KODI try to take them down, or are these fair game?
(2016-06-01, 00:58)kduser35 Wrote: What's KODI's position on Community Build / Wizard YouTube videos? Will KODI try to take them down, or are these fair game?

Im my personal opinion, which is not an expert opinion, and is not representative of the Kodi project:

When you use a brand (name, logo, etc) in those kinds of videos, the important thing is the impression being made on the viewer. This may or may not be an intentional impression, but something that just happens.

If a video says "you can use Kodi to watch this stuff", but makes it clear that Kodi is not the source of content, then that's less likely to be an issue. Even things that are protected from trademark can still be used in simple statements and such. Trademark is not a ban or a total control of a word.

However, if a video makes it seem like Kodi is a "free TV service", even if that was not the intention of the video author, then that seems likely to be a trademark issue.

There may even be issues beyond trademark, or at least an overlap to other areas. For example, many videos have dubious claims (some are outright lies) about how legal some of these streams are, and that means even more issues when connecting the video to the Kodi brand.

It's somewhat hard to explain in a blanket statement, but I believe most authors of video guides (or any other kind of guide, website, etc), know when something will be an issue. I think many of them ignore this because it is easier, more profitable (from a product standpoint, or about getting more youtube subscribers, etc), or maybe they just don't care.

So it's not really about "fair game". It's closer to "are you damaging the Kodi brand or not?".

EDIT: After reminding myself of who you are from your other posts in this thread, I'm not sure why you are asking this. Surely you've seen this addressed more than once in the last 400+ posts. Maybe you are trying to prove a point, or trip someone up with their response by wording things differently? I honestly don't know, and I'm sorry to accuse anyone such things, but it seems to happen whenever this topic comes up.

However, my original response above assumed you were honestly asking the question. If that is the case, then I hope this provided some insight, even if unofficial.

2nd EDIT: oh wow, that made me hit 30K posts. The curse is broken! I'M FREE, FREEEEE!!!
Instead of accusing me of something deceitful or trickery, how about just trying to answer the question directly without all these kinda, sorta, maybe, maybe nots. I have no desire to challenge your trademark or engage in legal battles. I'm simply trying to understand how you intend to enforce your trademark. I run a content creation business, not a fly by night KODI YouTube Channel, so when I ask these questions, I'm sincerely trying to avoid infringing on another business' trademark. Deleting all KODI videos until I figure out how you intend to enforce the trademark is not something other YouTube Channels have done (over 1,000 of them). Naturally, having 'KODI' in the video title doesn't hurt views, so I am interested in using it. That's all.
(2016-06-02, 01:37)kduser35 Wrote: Instead of accusing me of something deceitful or trickery, how about just trying to answer the question directly without all these kinda, sorta, maybe, maybe nots. I have no desire to challenge your trademark or engage in legal battles. I'm simply trying to understand how you intend to enforce your trademark. I run a content creation business, not a fly by night KODI YouTube Channel, so when I ask these questions, I'm sincerely trying to avoid infringing on another business' trademark. Deleting all KODI videos until I figure out how you intend to enforce the trademark is not something other YouTube Channels have done (over 1,000 of them). Naturally, having 'KODI' in the video title doesn't hurt views, so I am interested in using it. That's all.

You want a straight forward answer? Don't be a dipshit. Don't make videos telling people how to pirate. Unless you are very good at what you do, and/or hold back on the bogus statements about "free TV", you will give the impression that Kodi is for piracy. I don't think you're willing to do that. The way you're asking things is like you're trying to find a loophole, because you already know what impression you are giving people with those kinds of videos. You want to have your cake and eat it too.
Saw this listed on Amazon today.
https://www.amazon.com/ANDROID--FULLY-LO...ds=fire+tv
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
Craigslist Adds:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/5612410363.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/5627327292.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/5632388164.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/5657518793.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/mod/5651341843.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/ele/5649176184.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/ele/5615322181.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/5596957062.html
Hmm, we could do a dedicated thread for craigslist. The great thing about craigslist is that we as users can flag the listings as prohibited, so if everyone does that then the listing automatically gets tanked. Unfortunately, there are as many listings as there are grains of sand on a beach. Still, I went though each of those already posted and made sure to flag them ;)
Hi Ned,

I would have flagged them myself, but do not see any way to flag these adds when I pull them up. Have done some research on how to flag and still couldn't figure it out. As I understand from their TOS, it takes a few more than one person flagging to get an add pulled, so I would like to be able to help, if I could.
There should be a checkbox next to the word "Prohibited", along with a question mark (which links to what items are prohibited, etc.). Checking the box should be all that is needed, I think.
(2016-06-29, 20:37)Ned Scott Wrote: There should be a checkbox next to the word "Prohibited", along with a question mark (which links to what items are prohibited, etc.). Checking the box should be all that is needed, I think.

Ok...found it. Thanks!
Just wondering how many of you think it is wrong for Amazon to not allow access to prime video through Kodi due to their piracy concerns but that they also continue to sell boxes loaded with Kodi and the addons that promote piracy. Must be all about the money. Can any thing be done about this? I for one would like to be able to use Kodi to access my Prime video subscription. I pay for Prime every year and it is a pain to have to shot Kodi down every time I want to watch a Prime video. I am not ready to give in to them and but a fire tv box. My goal with the HTPC was to simplify my system and so far since I have Kodi working properly it has.
Sometimes in these big corporations, one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. There's probably a memo being sent back & forth about the bottom line and demonstrates that these companies are all about the bottom line. Here in Canada, these type of boxes have an injunction against sales, and if the case is successful (I expect it will be) that will put an end to open selling. I've received information that bangwood is offering "too good to be true" prices on these boxes, which means to me they know the jig is up, and shipments will probably be confiscated at customs. I expect that other countries will follow suit in domino fashion, irrespective of the politics.

This wild west shake up will continue for a few more years as big players change hands and get swallowed, Streaming TV will eventually become the paid normal way of accessing content. Kodi's position is very tenable in this market and still holds the position of the best home theatre enthusiasts dream, the streaming part is just too volatile and fraught with legal mines for Kodi to consider binding with a commercial venture but in the distant future it's not impossible that Kodi will the stock & trade for some systems that have alternate revenue streams.
Found this linked off a UK bargain forum today which was classed as an official site ... Was removed quickly from the forum.

kodidirect{dot}com

Blatent infringement
whew...just spent the last 20 minutes in Craigslist flagging Kodi boxes, 1-100 out of 470 listings...my thumb & hand is sore & only scratched the surface...
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
(2016-07-08, 18:31)christoofar Wrote: whew...just spent the last 20 minutes in Craigslist flagging Kodi boxes, 1-100 out of 470 listings...my thumb & hand is sore & only scratched the surface...
Ok you did good Chris, Mommy will be proud of you. Now go drink your milk and eat your cookies, and take a nap. Sounds like you have exhausted all your brain cells.
Are you of age to surf the Internet without parental consent? I suggest you spend your time on more worthwhile things in life... such a waste of human function. Do something meaningful, like go chase down terrorist or go donate and deliver pizza to a senior home if you are old enough to drive.
  • 34(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement23