[Windows] Keep Kodi Always-on-Top (instead of minimizing on focus loss)
can anyone explain me how to setup these patch a windows kodi 16.1 ?

Do i need to DL the full kodi patched version and installed it ??

thanks
up to Kodi 17! Smile
Here's the patch for Krypton. I'll be adding compiled builds once I consider v17 stable enough for my daily use.
(2016-10-04, 10:29)Shine Wrote: Here's the patch for Krypton. I'll be adding compiled builds once I consider v17 stable enough for my daily use.

You are the boss! Smile

Thank you, tell us when compiled builds will be ready and i forward your work to my friend...we are waiting! Smile

I really don't understand why they not consider your work for official release...i asked for it but....no answer.
(2016-10-04, 16:22)HTPC-ASR Wrote: I really don't understand why they not consider your work for official release...i asked for it but....no answer.
I never PR'd it, that's why.
As one of the windows developers I'm not sure this belongs in Kodi, we try to avoid too many settings for specific use cases and non-htpc setups. It can be achieved using e.g. Autoit3 https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/doc...tOnTop.htm
The janitor, cleaner of cruft, defender of style. Also known as the unfunny guy that doesn't understand signatures.
(2016-10-07, 20:20)Paxxi Wrote: As one of the windows developers I'm not sure this belongs in Kodi, we try to avoid too many settings for specific use cases and non-htpc setups. It can be achieved using e.g. Autoit3 https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/doc...tOnTop.htm
Nope, does not work, not in true fullscreen mode at least, which is the primary usage scenario for this patch. In true fullscreen mode, vanilla Kodi actively minimizes as soon as it loses focus, first of all to mimic the old DX9 behavior and second, to prevent DXGI_STATUS_OCCLUDED which would result in auto-switching back to fake fullscreen mode.

Either way, if you read my previous posts, I cannot fully prevent DXGI_STATUS_OCCLUDED when other topmost windows try to compete with Kodi, so I don't consider the patch merge-worthy at this time anyway.

P.S. Even in fake fullscreen mode, there are so many places in the code where vanilla Kodi would reset the window properties to non-topmost, that a simple one-time change to the topmost flag using Autoit or any other way wouldn't really work.
(2016-10-04, 06:32)HTPC-ASR Wrote: up to Kodi 17! :)
See first post. Enjoy!
Thumbs Up 
About time someone did something about this. Trying it out now. Many thanks Shine!

(2016-10-07, 20:20)Paxxi Wrote: As one of the windows developers I'm not sure this belongs in Kodi, we try to avoid too many settings for specific use cases and non-htpc setups. It can be achieved using e.g. Autoit3 https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/doc...tOnTop.htm

You are dead wrong on this. It's so needed. Should be default.
The Problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.
Do you understand?
Can't delete my own post. That's so lame
The Problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.
Do you understand?
This is really cool, but is there any way you can turn this into an add-on? Devs are bound to abandon their projects at some moment, and since this looks like won't get added to the official build, we would get stuck forever on whatever was the last version you updated.

edit: oh boy, it doesn't work for my purposes. I run a .bat through Kodi's autoexec.py with the following code:

Code:
import xbmc
xbmc.executebuiltin('XBMC.System.Exec(""C:\\Users\\firewater\\Kodi\\portable_data\\userdata\\nfo.bat"")')

Losing it, still.
(2016-11-11, 06:41)firewater Wrote: This is really cool, but is there any way you can turn this into an add-on?
Unfortunately, no, as this changes Kodi core behavior, which cannot be achieved from within an add-on.

(2016-11-11, 06:41)firewater Wrote: Devs are bound to abandon their projects at some moment, and since this looks like won't get added to the official build, we would get stuck forever on whatever was the last version you updated.
Yes, that might of course happen once I lose interest in Kodi or my use case changes. However, the benefit of Open Source is that everybody can read, change or re-use the code. So you can always take my patch and adapt it to new versions, improve it, do whatever you like with it, as long as you comply with the GPLv2.

(2016-11-11, 06:41)firewater Wrote: edit: oh boy, it doesn't work for my purposes. I run a .bat through Kodi's autoexec.py with the following code:

Code:
import xbmc
xbmc.executebuiltin('XBMC.System.Exec(""C:\\Users\\firewater\\Kodi\\portable_data\\userdata\\nfo.bat"")')

Losing it, still.
Oops, my bad. I forgot to take care of restoring topmost state after running external programs (which is what you are doing). I'll look into it, should be fixed in the next build.

In the meantime, you could use the following code instead, if you don't need to see the output of your BAT file:

Code:
import subprocess
subprocess.call(['C:\\Users\\firewater\\Kodi\\portable_data\\userdata\\nfo.bat'])

This won't minimize Kodi while the BAT is running, so the topmost state isn't lost.
Hello and thank you for providing this custom build! It's working nicely on my triple monitor setup.

I have noticed however, that sometimes when I am running this custom build, suddenly the windows on my other monitors (win explorer, chrome, notepad etc.) become transparent and unclickable/unusable/undraggable. The only thing that helps in this case is exiting Kodi which restores functionality to the windows on the other monitors. I am running Windows 7.

Before trying this build I was running into issues with Kodi (set to windowed fullscreen) jumping to other monitors for no reason. This hasn't happened after trying your build. Could the two things be related? Hope to hear from you.
(2016-11-18, 14:06)MrDartay Wrote: Before trying this build I was running into issues with Kodi (set to windowed fullscreen) jumping to other monitors for no reason. This hasn't happened after trying your build. Could the two things be related? Hope to hear from you.
You should first try to get this original problem fixed, as this sounds like a problem with your system, not with Kodi. If you're confident that it's a problem with Kodi, you might want to submit a bug report. Please do not use my build when submitting a bug report, use the official version instead - my build is completely unsupported and no one will help you!
Any chance this can be patched to Isengard without DX11?

Great work btw.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] Keep Kodi Always-on-Top (instead of minimizing on focus loss)5