Alienware Alpha / Hivemind Users?
I love this little thing. if you don't know about it honestly its worth the google or youtube review.
Alienware and Kodi teamed up and I personally think the concept behind Hivemind (Gaming + Media) is exceptional!!

Just wondering if anyone is using it... system seems to be running quite slow and I'm trying to determine the specific culprit.
I love to have a 24/7 uptime but after about 12 hours or so Kodi/Hivemind has extremely frustrating menu response, slow clicking, choppy video etc.
What could be causing this?
Despite the issue I can't recommend it enough if you want a great couch media and gaming HTPC/Console.

Ps. if anyone has one, have you successfully watched a 4k x265 HEVC video? Curious if it meets the requirements.
i3, 8gb ram, 1tb SSD, Nvidia 860M, Windows 10 Anniversary update
I just bought the i7 with 16gb version. I haven't set mine up yet, it was delivered yesterday but I got in late. I will start setting it up hopefully this weekend as it is a replacement for one of my asrock 330hts. One quick question were you able to update to Krypton?
I had one not too long ago, great machine but I wouldn't bother with hivemind. It's a great idea but it's temperamental and honestly doesn't look that nice without a lot of work.

A much better solution is to ditch all the dell crap on your box and have it boot straight to steam or kodi. Then have a shortcut to the other one. Both perform fantastic on there own for long duration's.

Or if you really want the best couch experience stick libreelec on a usb stick. When you want to game on windows just unplug and reboot, if you have an SSD it will take < 30 seconds. That's how I had mine setup as an always on HTPC + Windows gaming machine.

I never tried 4k h265 but I tied 1080p and the CPU load was fairly low, might just about CPU decode 4k.
(2016-09-16, 17:32)ianuk2005 Wrote: A much better solution is to ditch all the dell crap on your box and have it boot straight to steam or kodi. Then have a shortcut to the other one. Both perform fantastic on there own for long duration's.

I was actually considering doing just that.

(2016-09-16, 17:32)ianuk2005 Wrote: Or if you really want the best couch experience stick libreelec on a usb stick. When you want to game on windows just unplug and reboot, if you have an SSD it will take < 30 seconds. That's how I had mine setup as an always on HTPC + Windows gaming machine.
It will be simpler using tabletmode on my W10 and add a shortcut to kodi and steam (big picture). That way I can keep my ability to stream xbox games along with quick access to Netflix and other video streaming services without a janky reboot.
They just released the stable release of Hivemind Jarvis... So far no complains and is actually running quite smooth Smile Able to access Kodi and Windows + all my games and launchers with ease.
You defn can use Krypton ... just not with Hivemind (yet)
I frequent the SubReddit for AlienwareAlpha which a few software devs are for Alienware and they have ensured that as Kodi updates so will Hivemind. Most likely just waiting for it to get out of beta.

I would give the recent stable release of Hivemind a try before you ditch it all together

Still sometimes lags after being on for a while but I'm working on a fix and I don't think its related to Hivemind directly.
(2016-09-17, 04:41)pauly3069 Wrote: They just released the stable release of Hivemind Jarvis... So far no complains and is actually running quite smooth Smile Able to access Kodi and Windows + all my games and launchers with ease.
I frequent the SubReddit for AlienwareAlpha which a few software devs are for Alienware and they have ensured that as Kodi updates so will Hivemind. Most likely just waiting for it to get out of beta.

I would give the recent stable release of Hivemind a try before you ditch it all together

Still sometimes lags after being on for a while but I'm working on a fix and I don't think its related to Hivemind directly.

Thanks for the post. I will wait for the Krypton update because my live TV sucked really bad on Jarvis.
(2016-09-17, 14:39)QueK9 Wrote:
(2016-09-17, 04:41)pauly3069 Wrote: They just released the stable release of Hivemind Jarvis... So far no complains and is actually running quite smooth Smile Able to access Kodi and Windows + all my games and launchers with ease.

Thanks for the post. I will wait for the Krypton update because my live TV sucked really bad on Jarvis.

In what sense? What is krypton going to do to change that?
(2016-09-17, 15:18)pauly3069 Wrote:
(2016-09-17, 14:39)QueK9 Wrote:

In what sense? What has krypton done to change that?

Fixed it for you.

It is a well documented problem in Kodi and for me it was terrible in Jarvis. Essentially, The PMTs that the broadcaster sends gave my front end fits with 0% buffering errors that would freeze and required a reboot or a hard shutdown of Kodi. The problem went away after upgrading to Krypton. I have 3 Openelc, now librelec after upgrading and 5 Windows 10 versions running Krypton. None show any problems and I have been running the upgrade for about 2 weeks now.
So how do the 4K files perform on this as stated in the original post? I'm thinking of getting one. Thanks!
(2016-11-21, 22:45)dickalan Wrote: So how do the 4K files perform on this as stated in the original post? I'm thinking of getting one. Thanks!
The unit I have can handle anything I through at it including 4k videos.
Hmmmm... if you have the i7 than you might have the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX960 GPU as shown here:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productde...n%E2%80%8B

& here:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productde...r2-console

However, if you have the i3 like OP stated, than there is a good chance you have the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX GPU 2GB GDDR5 --which is basically an Nvidia 860M GPU. ---So I guess that's what I'm really curious to know, does the 860M handle 4K video?
(2016-11-22, 01:55)dickalan Wrote: Hmmmm... if you have the i7 than you might have the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX960 GPU as shown here:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productde...n%E2%80%8B

& here:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productde...r2-console

However, if you have the i3 like OP stated, than there is a good chance you have the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX GPU 2GB GDDR5 --which is basically an Nvidia 860M GPU. ---So I guess that's what I'm really curious to know, does the 860M handle 4K video?
I have the i7 version.
I can elaborate ...
I have NO issue with 4k H264 , however after a couple experiments with X265 HEVC 4K its pretty choppy in Kodi. Granted its not reliable content ie. Torrent (sorry)
I have tried a couple other external media players and it actually seemed quite well but for whatever reason in Kodi any HEVC 4k downloaded content struggles.

From what I have a read on Nvidia is that it should be able to handle it but I have had no success with those type of files.

Its a really great device as a HTPC but pretty overkill unless you plan on gaming.

I would defn be looking at the R2 as even for myself I'm hoping to upgrade soon.
(2016-11-22, 05:08)pauly3069 Wrote: I can elaborate ...
I have NO issue with 4k H264 , however after a couple experiments with X265 HEVC 4K its pretty choppy in Kodi. Granted its not reliable content ie. Torrent (sorry)
I have tried a couple other external media players and it actually seemed quite well but for whatever reason in Kodi any HEVC 4k downloaded content struggles.

From what I have a read on Nvidia is that it should be able to handle it but I have had no success with those type of files.

Its a really great device as a HTPC but pretty overkill unless you plan on gaming.

I would defn be looking at the R2 as even for myself I'm hoping to upgrade soon.

Awesome, thank you this is exactly what I was looking for. Gamestop has a 50% off deal this blackfriday so the i3 version will only be $224 USD. Pretty good huh!?!?
(2016-11-22, 08:36)dickalan Wrote:
(2016-11-22, 05:08)pauly3069 Wrote: I can elaborate ...

Awesome, thank you this is exactly what I was looking for. Gamestop has a 50% off deal this blackfriday so the i3 version will only be $224 USD. Pretty good huh!?!?

Yea I have heard some awesome deals over on r/alienwarealpha ... you should join up if your a reddit user! My username is the same as here and I'm quite a avid poster on there.

Its a awesome little device and looks great beside the TV. Granted Hivemind is still not perfect but overall its a great experience and if thats not your thing you still get a great desktop experience on the TV.

My 100% advice is get a SSD immediately and swap out the drive. the load times are horrendous with the stock HDD.

Ive had mine for nearly a year and am still very impressed.

Use it for mainly kodi and some gaming (Batman Arkham City, Watch Dogs, Dirt 3 etc.) All have no issues playing on 720p high settings or 1080p medium.

Still haven't been able to solve my original issue of the post however and its beyond frustrating but I think its a issue with the Titan skin and have way to many widgets then Hivemind itself.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Alienware Alpha / Hivemind Users?1