• 16(current)
Android Passthrough Changes with v17
(2017-01-05, 12:41)fritsch Wrote: Just set pcm channels to 2.0 and enable Dolby / AC3 Transcoding and all those DTS / DTS-HD will come out as AC3 ...

Audio transcoding is Unacceptable for a [audio|cine]phile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07So_lJQyqw
And yet, your best option so far........ I'm not sure if something will change with MM.
(2017-01-05, 18:45)Wegel Wrote:
(2017-01-05, 12:41)fritsch Wrote: Just set pcm channels to 2.0 and enable Dolby / AC3 Transcoding and all those DTS / DTS-HD will come out as AC3 ...

An [audio|cine]phile should not be using Kodi on android in the first place imho.
(2017-01-05, 18:45)Wegel Wrote:

Says the guy running Android ... where nothing, absolutely nothing enters the output device untouched ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
It *should* have changed something as v23 API supposedly supports DTS and AC3 passthrough (among others), but right now even that doesn't work on on Sony X850C running Android 6.0 (AKA Marshmallow / MM). I intend to code and try the smallest possible "player" that demonstrates that the firmware indeed doesn't correctly support those APIs, although I have close to 0 faith that it will work. You can call me Thomas Wink
(2017-01-05, 18:57)fritsch Wrote: Says the guy running Android ... where nothing, absolutely nothing enters the output device untouched ...

Pal, you don't know what I'm running. I got more settop that I care to count. From the WAF point of view though, the app running directly on the TV is the sweetest. Doesn't mean it's what I'm using on my day to day.

Besides, you know as well as me that all sonically relevant bits are untouched when doing passthrough, so your comment is BS. Cheers.
Yeah, here is the point where you don't have a clue. As Android is the only platform that wants the data RAW and not IEC packed. They package themselves. Therefore they can add pause frames, they can even resample and pack again. So much about BS. And some vendors even end up with 48 khz while you send in 44.1 khz dts ...

Edit: For DD+ it forgets the Atmos bits if integrated ... and so on and so on ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-01-05, 19:18)fritsch Wrote: Yeah, here is the point where you don't have a clue. As Android is the only platform that wants the data RAW and not IEC packed. They package themselves. Therefore they can add pause frames, they can even resample and pack again. So much about BS. And some vendors even end up with 48 khz while you send in 44.1 khz dts ...

Haha right, because *some* shitty chinese vendors mess the stream (that never happens on any other OS/software, right), let's assume that everybody touches it. I like your way of thinking. Have a good, full day of generalizations Smile
shomari, is that you?
Fritsch means that the RAW data sent by Kodi is IEC encapsulated at Android level, while it is encapsulated at Kodi level for those platform accessing directly the sound device.
The bitstream itself (ie the actual compressed sound data) isn't touched by either.

Pretty sure that Android does not resample DD/DTS and friends, as that needs a decoder and thus a license.
There is some misunderstanding between the port sample rate and the encoded data sample rate...
https://developer.android.com/reference/...Track.html
(2017-01-05, 19:33)Koying Wrote: Fritsch means that the RAW data sent by Kodi is IEC encapsulated at Android level, while it is encapsulated at Kodi level for those platform accessing directly the sound device.
The bitstream itself (ie the actual compressed sound data) isn't touched by either.

Pretty sure that Android does not resample DD/DTS and friends, as that needs a decoder and thus a license.
There is some misunderstanding between the port sample rate and the encoded data sample rate...

Try to play 44.1 dts and see what happens. On the shield it won't parse the format correctly, fails to open it user is greeted with silence. Reason: IEC packer only works for 48 khz. All other formats are broken. On AMLogic with old FW you get out 48 khz DTS, when sending 44.1 kz.
To come back to the bright future: https://developer.android.com/reference/...G_IEC61937 <- if they would not have forgotten 192/8 for N (really plain forgotten) we would already have DTS-HD / TrueHD / Atmos and so on with plain N. We asked to get that added and most likely with 7.2 we will have it. In the meantime AML, Nvidia Shield, Rockbox already implemented it that way and kodi auto detects it. So whenever these new FWs start kodi they have everything that is needed for all PT formats on the planet .... here the story could end ...

Strange, I did try this but stil only PCM on DTS?
2.0 pcm channel (check?)
Enable AC3 (check?)
Enable AC3 / Dolby Transcoding (Check?)

Debug Log available (check ?)
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Passthrough Changes with v178