• 12(current)
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
Hey guys I got a question. Using the new Nvidia Shield, when watching older TV shows/movies that are 4:3 ratio and have black bars on the sides of the screen, I see the previously played 16:9 ratio content where the black bars should be.

You can see an example here:

http://imgur.com/a/lz59M
(2017-01-20, 18:55)Tinwarble Wrote: 2. USB tuner support - This is coming, probably within the next couple of months. No details were discussed, but from what was said there is more coming with tuner support than just simply adding tuner drivers. It was stated that customers will be "pleasantly surprised", which you may or may not be. Wink
TW, Single or Dual Tuner support ?

Because frankly for nVIDIA Android power users, adding DVR/Recording capabilities to Android Nougat and Live Channels, and then using a Single Tuner is as useless as Tits on a Bull. We have already seen this with the Single Tuner - WeTek Play2 DVR (Lite) limitations.

That wasn't covered, but if THIS is any indication, then 2 tuner.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Without the tuners built in to the unit it is not a great proposition. Either a USB connection that can break when knocked and looks unsightly in an A/V cabinet.
And ideally you would need more than 2 tuners. In Australia 4 x tuners are quite the norm. That would require a usb hub especially if you used asked storage.
PQ will be an issue here. I have been toying with a tuner on Libreelec on an Amlogic s905 and the PQ of SD and HD1080p is pretty poor relative to internal tuners on the TV.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010
(2017-01-21, 05:51)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2017-01-21, 02:42)eisenbruder Wrote: Anyone else notice that since the last update Kodi is shuffled to the end of the Apps row despite reorganizing it?

What do you have your "Organize apps & games" set to?

Settings/Home screen/Apps and games rows/Organize apps and games

Sort automatically by recent usage is off, and I reorganized them several times with Kodi near the front, but every time I power off/sleep Kodi gets put dead last but all the other apps are in the same position I organized them.

It's like they are trying to discourage people from using Kodi.

Try it on yours and see if I'm crazy.
Trying to make up my mind between a Shield and a Minix Neo U1...

Im sold on the specs of the Shield…although Im not a gamer. If it will run Kodi and other film/tv apps faster and more stable, thats good enough for me.

My concerns are:

1. Ive read that the Shield will not allow me to download APKs and app selection is limited. True?
And is there a workaround?

2. The remote is not as good as the A2 Lite Airmouse/Keyboard? (I find that works brilliantly with Kodi and IPTV.

Any advice?
(2017-01-21, 09:23)Autoroam Wrote: Trying to make up my mind between a Shield and a Minix Neo U1...

Im sold on the specs of the Shield…although Im not a gamer. If it will run Kodi and other film/tv apps faster and more stable, thats good enough for me.

My concerns are:

1. Ive read that the Shield will not allow me to download APKs and app selection is limited. True?

2. The remote is not as good as the A2 Lite Airmouse/Keyboard? (I find that works brilliantly with Kodi and IPTV.

Any advice?
You can download and install whichever apks you wish. I can't comment on the remote since I use a Harmony Hub.

Dispatched from Mojo's Artisan Toast & Beard-Fluffing Emporium, Temescal Alley
(2017-01-21, 06:21)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-01-20, 18:55)Tinwarble Wrote: 2. USB tuner support - This is coming, probably within the next couple of months. No details were discussed, but from what was said there is more coming with tuner support than just simply adding tuner drivers. It was stated that customers will be "pleasantly surprised", which you may or may not be. Wink
TW, Single or Dual Tuner support ?

Because frankly for nVIDIA Android power users, adding DVR/Recording capabilities to Android Nougat and Live Channels, and then using a Single Tuner is as useless as Tits on a Bull. We have already seen this with the Single Tuner - WeTek Play2 DVR (Lite) limitations.

There is a German tuner developer who las year was hoping to launch dual USB tuners, they never came to market because the Android drivers had too many problems, during a chat a few weeks ago they told me they was now developing a USB tuner with 7 tuners (FBC?) and the Android support looked really promising.
I split the conversation about the importance of the Shield having Dolby licensing here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=304632

Because while being an interesting debate, I don't think it adds to anyone's knowledge about the Shield. It's already been covered that the Shield is not Dolby certified.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
@DaMacFunkin, that's great! I hope we see more and more tuner manufactures come on board with Android support.
A hdhomerun dual tuner already works pretty well on the shield, it integrates with live channels and can do PVR via its own app (hopefully it will be native on nougat). Best of all as it's a network tuner you can put it anywhere you have a TV input.
(2017-01-20, 18:01)Theetjuh Wrote: Ok, I got my Shield connected and setup as best as I think with SPMC Smile

Got a few issues, playing some 3D content (HSBS/HTAB) the display doesn't detect there is a 3D signal.
All sound formats seem to work, except Dolby Atmos ... it just falls back to TrueHD it seems.

Noticed that sometimes DTSHD isn't detected, restarting the movie doesn't seem to help, starting a movie with TrueHD and after that play the DTS-HD again ... it gets detected, kinda weird Smile

With Netflix it seems that HDR isn't working, direct on the TV Marco Polo is detected as HDR and shows it right away ... on the Shield it just displays without HDR.

Any got some pointers where to look?
I got HDR working ... seems there was an update in the store ... that fixed it Smile
Haven't found a solution for the rest though.
LG 77G1 • Onkyo TX-RZ70 • Q Acoustics F:2050i C:2000Ci R:2020i A:QI65C • 2x BK Elec XXLS400-DF
Vero V (OSMC) • Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019) • Sony UBP-X800M2 • Sony PlayStation 5
(2017-01-21, 09:23)Autoroam Wrote: Trying to make up my mind between a Shield and a Minix Neo U1...

My concerns are:

Any advice?

I was spoiled to a keypad on my Boxee remote so I simply purchased a Minix remote.
On anoter note my wife has found that the voice commands suffice for searches but we use SPMC to have it function since KODI doesn't do voice yet.

No regrets here on a 2015 model or 2016 model and looking forward to the integration of the Home features. Chromecast builtin is another bonus.
(2017-01-21, 09:50)DaMacFunkin Wrote: There is a German tuner developer who las year was hoping to launch dual USB tuners, they never came to market because the Android drivers had too many problems, during a chat a few weeks ago they told me they was now developing a USB tuner with 7 tuners (FBC?) and the Android support looked really promising.

Interesting. I currently run 6 x DVB-T and 3 x DVB-T2 tuners in the UK (so a total of 9). Once you build a reasonable system the only real solution is to dedicate a tuner-per-mux. That allows you to watch and/or record any programme at any time with no chances of a clash.

(In reality in the UK you can ditch a DVB-T if you don't want local TV, and a T2 if you don't want the few, not that popular, services on COM8, the third DVB-T2 mux)

It's actually quite simple and cost effective - 3 x PS3 Play TV Dual USB DVB-T tuners (around a tenner each on eBay), and 3 x August T210s (around €20/each on Amazon at one point). Plug those into a small x86 box with a custom kernelt (to get round the 8 tuner limit) and with GigE you're pretty set. I don't think I've actually streamed or recorded every channel simultaneously :-)
I really don't see the benefit of having a multi-tuner ATSC adapter in the U.S. We only have 5 major networks that transmit OTA. Out of the 5, you may get only 2-3 if using indoor antennas. For those reasons, I think a dual-tuner may be more than sufficient for OTA in the U.S (It's America first now Smile)
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188