• 47(current)
Intel Apollo Lake
V17 does not (!) support hevc 10 bit VAAPI acceleration and it won't support it in 17.1 or 17.2. It was implemented rencently and needs mesa / kernel code nowhere in any distribution. It will come to kodi mainline once kodi-agile is being merged. For the time being specific LE images have that stuff backported. Self builders obviously can also get it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-01-30, 16:43)fritsch Wrote: V17 does not (!) support hevc 10 bit VAAPI acceleration and it won't support it in 17.1 or 17.2. It was implemented rencently and needs mesa / kernel code nowhere in any distribution. It will come to kodi mainline once kodi-agile is being merged. For the time being specific LE images have that stuff backported. Self builders obviously can also get it.
Is that most likely to happen once kodi 18 reaches release candidate status?
I don't understand that question. I don't know at all when ubuntu will ship the required mesa version for example. Kernel 4.11 could already have the kernel changes. The kodi patches are non intrusive at all - but userspace changes are out of our hands.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-01-30, 20:07)fritsch Wrote: I don't understand that question. I don't know at all when ubuntu will ship the required mesa version for example. Kernel 4.11 could already have the kernel changes. The kodi patches are non intrusive at all - but userspace changes are out of our hands.

understood
Hi guys, regarding topic about compatibility of memory modules for ASRock J4205 ITX motherboard I report Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x4GB SO-DIMM DDR3L 1866MHz CL10 (BLS2C4G3N18AES4CEU) works only on frequency 1600MHz in dual-channel mode. It must be set manually in BIOS. Only one module is working when it is set AUTO or 1866MHz.in BIOS.
Couple weeks ago the Asrock boards were on my list.... but when I am reading about the problems with HDMI and the connectivity issues, I think I will wait a little longer. Because I want to keep on the PC always on, and in that case, if I read the problems correctly, the HDMI signal will be lost, and you need to reboot to make it working again.
(2017-01-31, 17:46)oempaloempa Wrote: Couple weeks ago the Asrock boards were on my list.... but when I am reading about the problems with HDMI and the connectivity issues, I think I will wait a little longer. Because I want to keep on the PC always on, and in that case, if I read the problems correctly, the HDMI signal will be lost, and you need to reboot to make it working again.

The HDMI issues I believe are only with recently purchased Samsung 4k TVs (maybe 2016/2017 models?). Others who have different brand TVs or older Samsung TVs haven't reported any HDMI issues with the ASRock boards.I have a 1 month old Samsung 4k TV and have the HDMI problem, but I'm pretty happy with how the board works in 1080p/60hz resolution with a DVI to HDMI connection though, and letting the TV upscale everything. I don't have much 4k content to view anyways (yet). I'm hoping when AMD Ryzen CPUs and boards come out that there will be more HDMI 2.0 mini ITX options, and may look to upgrade again later this year. It's annoying that there are so few HDMI 2.0 board options out there now.
I run a Samsung 4k Model 2016 and an ASRock J4205 - without any issues.
(2017-01-31, 19:16)fritsch Wrote: I run a Samsung 4k Model 2016 and an ASRock J4205 - without any issues.

It may be very specific to certain models/years or even certain ports on the one connect box. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
The Samsung model I have is UN49KU7000FXZA . There are reviews for this TV on the Samsung website dating back to May 2016, so it must have become available in Spring '16 and is not that new of a model I guess. Not sure why mine has the HDMI issue. I tried a couple different cables too, thinking one might be bad. I've never been able to get anything to display on the TV from the board via HDMI unless I boot with the cable unplugged, wait for a minute for Windows to load, then plug in the HDMI. Then 4k resolution works OK until the TV is shut off and the connection is lost again. I can't even see the boot screen during startup when the cable is connected, and I have fast boot disabled. The tv can't make an HDMI connection unless I wait until Windows loads to connect the cable to the HDMI port on the board. DVI to HDMI works fine though.

I pasted this in my original post a couple pages back, but here's the link to other users having the same issue on the ASRock forum.
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?...dmi-output

I'm glad the boards are working great for most. If others are having this issue maybe you can post the Samsung model you have, so if others have the same model they will be aware of the potential issue when building their HTPC.
(2017-01-31, 21:50)bigljd Wrote: The Samsung model I have is UN49KU7000FXZA . There are reviews for this TV on the Samsung website dating back to May 2016, so it must have become available in Spring '16 and is not that new of a model I guess. Not sure why mine has the HDMI issue. I tried a couple different cables too, thinking one might be bad. I've never been able to get anything to display on the TV from the board via HDMI unless I boot with the cable unplugged, wait for a minute for Windows to load, then plug in the HDMI. Then 4k resolution works OK until the TV is shut off and the connection is lost again. I can't even see the boot screen during startup when the cable is connected, and I have fast boot disabled. The tv can't make an HDMI connection unless I wait until Windows loads to connect the cable to the HDMI port on the board. DVI to HDMI works fine though.

I pasted this in my original post a couple pages back, but here's the link to other users having the same issue on the ASRock forum.
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?...dmi-output

I'm glad the boards are working great for most. If others are having this issue maybe you can post the Samsung model you have, so if others have the same model they will be aware of the potential issue when building their HTPC.

Did you test this with Libreelec also?
Well, at this moment I don't even have a 4K Samsung TV in the first place :p It is an older UE50F-6400. But I was thinking, I want to build a new small HTPC, so the Asrock had my attention, especially because it has also Optical out, ideal to stream music without having the TV turned on. (Yess, I have also an older Pioneer receiver). And when buying a new TV in a couple years (maybe) the HTPC is still okay. Off course, you are never sure with all the upcoming new developments like 8K, HDMI 2.1 Dynamic HDR, 48G cables etc.....
(2017-01-31, 22:27)raidflex Wrote: Did you test this with Libreelec also?

I haven't but I think Sublow is using LE and is having the problems too, in post 644/page 43

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2508234

I use the HTPC for some other stuff to that requires Windows, so I have to stick with Win10.
(2017-01-31, 22:33)oempaloempa Wrote: Well, at this moment I don't even have a 4K Samsung TV in the first place :p It is an older UE50F-6400. But I was thinking, I want to build a new small HTPC, so the Asrock had my attention, especially because it has also Optical out, ideal to stream music without having the TV turned on. (Yess, I have also an older Pioneer receiver). And when buying a new TV in a couple years (maybe) the HTPC is still okay. Off course, you are never sure with all the upcoming new developments like 8K, HDMI 2.1 Dynamic HDR, 48G cables etc.....

The optical audio does work well for me - I have DVI to HDMI for video, and have the optical audio running through a Yamaha receiver. My original plan was to run audio through HDMI into the TV, then use the TV Optical out to the receiver for audio, but since the HDMI is failing with my Samsung, I am using the optical on the board instead.
Sorry if this is offtopic, a question about bios 1.2/1.2d for j3455-itx .
One of the posts on page 39 mentioned possible added support for vt-d in 1.2 bios for this motherboard.
Can somebody confirm/deny that?
  • 47(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Apollo Lake9