• 17(current)
Solved Kodi 17.x Installation problem with KB2670838 Win7 x64
The 'fix' or 'resolution' that you last two posters are waiting for is to fix your own broken Windows installation.

At no point was there anything actually wrong with the Kodi installer. From the outset, all the people who could not install were people with Windows that was messed up in one way or another. (I am not passing the buck here: I was one of them. As soon as I fixed Windows, Kodi installed.)

However, back when this thread began, the Kodi installer was giving some people misleading error messages about the exact nature of the problem with their Windows installation. After detailed discussion on this thread, the Kodi installer was improved to give better indications about what was wrong with Windows and to use the most reliable ways possible to check for the presence of the necessary Windows update, KB2670838.

I cannot speak for the developers, but I can say, as one of the people who reviewed the relevant code in detail, that in my opinion the installer is now as good as it possibly can be. Therefore in my view it is highly unlikely that the installer will be altered again regarding this issue. After all, the issue is with your Windows installation, and no software installer can be expected to fix Windows problems on the fly.

If you are being told by Windows Update that KB2670838 is installed, but told by Kodi that it is not, you have a broken Windows system, not a bug in Kodi. When Kodi says KB2670838 is not installed, it is merely reporting what Windows tells it. The trouble is that one part of Windows, the Update system, tells you the KB is installed, while another part of Windows tells Kodi it is not. In this case you are almost certainly suffering from the problem that Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is broken on your computer.

You then have 3 choices: (1) try to fix your broken WMI by googling for help; (2) reinstall Windows; (3) run the Kodi installer in XP compatibility mode, which will let you install Kodi, but is just a way of pretending that your system is not broken, and could leave you with video rendering problems in Kodi.

So those are the 3 ways you could try to go forward. But the one you are hoping for, namely some further changes to the Kodi installer which will endow it with magical abilities to repair Windows, is not going to happen, I believe, because it cannot.
(2017-05-29, 23:21)nogginthenog Wrote: The 'fix' or 'resolution' that you last two posters are waiting for is to fix your own broken Windows installation.

At no point was there anything actually wrong with the Kodi installer. From the outset, all the people who could not install were people with Windows that was messed up in one way or another. (I am not passing the buck here: I was one of them.)

However, back when this thread began, the Kodi installer was giving some people misleading error messages about the exact nature of the problem with their Windows installation. After detailed discussion on this thread, the Kodi installer was improved to give better indications about what was wrong with Windows and to use the most reliable ways possible to check for the presence of the necessary Windows update, KB2670838.

I cannot speak for the developers, but I can say, as one of the people who reviewed the relevant code in detail, that in my opinion the installer is now as good as it possibly can be. Therefore in my view it is highly unlikely that the installer will be altered again regarding this issue. After all, the issue is with your Windows installation, and no software installer can be expected to fix Windows problems on the fly.

If you are being told by Windows Update that KB2670838 is installed, but told by Kodi that it is not, you have a broken Windows system, not a bug in Kodi. When Kodi says KB2670838 is not installed, it is merely reporting what Windows tells it. The trouble is that one part of Windows, the Update system, tells you the KB is installed, while another part of Windows tells Kodi it is not. In this case you are almost certainly suffering from the problem that Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is broken on your computer.

You then have 3 choices: (1) try to fix your broken WMI by googling for help; (2) reinstall Windows; (3) run the Kodi installer in XP compatibility mode, which will let you install Kodi, but is just a way of pretending that your system is not broken, and could leave you with video rendering problems in Kodi.

So those are the 3 ways you could try to go forward. But the one you are hoping for, namely some further changes to the Kodi installer which will endow it with magical abilities to repair Windows, is not going to happen, I believe, because it cannot.

I agree that this issue is caused by a broken windows installation. I'm not sure I agree that there's nothing kodi devs can possibly do to work around it even further, but I agree that it's not their responsibility.

With that in mind, repairing wmi in Windows 7 might be as simple as running two commands as follows...

1. Open a command prompt window with administrator rights
2. Type winmgmt /verifyrepository and hit enter
3. Type winmgmt /resetrepository and hit enter
4. Wait until these commands finish then reboot

Try that and see what happens.

If it didn't work, search google for "Windows 7 repair wmi" and follow the more detailed instructions to make a full repair.

Or reinstall windows.
I know my windows system must be broken, but why is this issue only affecting Kodi installations and no other windows installation softwares?

I'll try to fix my windows system, hopefully will work, otherwise I'll have to reinstall my entire system.
(2017-05-30, 20:35)cliffx Wrote: I know my windows system must be broken, but why is this issue only affecting Kodi installations and no other windows installation softwares?

Because in order to render video to modern standards, Kodi now requires a particular Windows update to be installed. The update is four years old, so it is hardly an unreasonable requirement. If software does not move forward and evolve to keep up with the changes in the operating system, eventually it becomes little use to anyone.

Rendering video is one of the more demanding things computers have to do. Many other Windows programs need not worry about it so much.
(2017-05-30, 20:40)nogginthenog Wrote:
(2017-05-30, 20:35)cliffx Wrote: I know my windows system must be broken, but why is this issue only affecting Kodi installations and no other windows installation softwares?

Because in order to render video to modern standards, Kodi now requires a particular Windows update to be installed. The update is four years old, so it is hardly an unreasonable requirement. If software does not move forward and evolve to keep up with the changes in the operating system, eventually it becomes little use to anyone.

Rendering video is one of the more demanding things computers have to do. Many other Windows programs need not worry about it so much.

Yes I know. My question was regarding that the update is in fact installed on my system, however Kodi still asks for it during the installation process. And the rest of the windows software installation packages don't. Why is only Kodi affected
(2017-05-30, 20:45)cliffx Wrote: Yes I know. My question was regarding that the update is in fact installed on my system, however Kodi still asks for it during the installation process. And the rest of the windows software installation packages don't. Why is only Kodi affected

You have not understood what has been said many, many times on this thread, most recently in my #241 above. If Kodi still asks for the update, the update is not 'in fact' installed on your system as you put it. Rather, your system is in a partly broken state, telling you the update is installed (which is not 'fact' but might or might not be true) while also telling Kodi it is not installed.

You are getting two reports that directly contradict each other, one saying the update is installed, one saying (via Kodi) it isn't. Both these contradictory reports come from Windows. You have no grounds for believing one rather than the other,except wishful thinking. 'Do you feel lucky?' as Clint put it.
(2017-05-30, 20:55)nogginthenog Wrote:
(2017-05-30, 20:45)cliffx Wrote: Yes I know. My question was regarding that the update is in fact installed on my system, however Kodi still asks for it during the installation process. And the rest of the windows software installation packages don't. Why is only Kodi affected

You have not understood what has been said many, many times on this thread, most recently in my #241 above. If Kodi still asks for the update, the update is not 'in fact' installed on your system as you put it. Rather, your system is in a partly broken state, telling you the update is installed (which is not 'fact' but might or might not be true) while also telling Kodi it is not installed.

You are getting two reports that directly contradict each other, one saying the update is installed, one saying (via Kodi) it isn't. Both these contradictory reports come from Windows. You have no grounds for believing one rather than the other,except wishful thinking. 'Do you feel lucky?' as Clint put it.

I'm sorry I didn't read the whole thread. I tried a few things to repair Windows Update however it didn't work, so I'm going to have to reinstall everything :/

Thanks for your help
(2017-05-30, 22:14)cliffx Wrote: I'm sorry I didn't read the whole thread. I tried a few things to repair Windows Update however it didn't work, so I'm going to have to reinstall everything :/

Thanks for your help

You should try repairing WMI before you try repairing Windows Update. Instructions to get you started are in #242 just above.
OOOOOOOOOOR if you really do not want to use the installer, just get 7zip, right click on the EXE and open with 7z...TADA, now extract to your folder of choice and no install required.....OR GET LINUX.....sometimes I wonder with all this technology we still ask some questionable questions.
I did it.. I open Kodi as administrator , then i click Ohh Darn I forgot.. I'll post what did on the other PC.
Using he compatibility mode the installer work.
(2017-05-29, 23:39)Gobberwart Wrote:
(2017-05-29, 23:21)nogginthenog Wrote: The 'fix' or 'resolution' that you last two posters are waiting for is to fix your own broken Windows installation.

At no point was there anything actually wrong with the Kodi installer. From the outset, all the people who could not install were people with Windows that was messed up in one way or another. (I am not passing the buck here: I was one of them.)

I agree that this issue is caused by a broken windows installation. I'm not sure I agree that there's nothing kodi devs can possibly do to work around it even further, but I agree that it's not their responsibility.

With that in mind, repairing wmi in Windows 7 might be as simple as running two commands as follows...

1. Open a command prompt window with administrator rights
2. Type winmgmt /verifyrepository and hit enter
3. Type winmgmt /resetrepository and hit enter
4. Wait until these commands finish then reboot

Try that and see what happens.

If it didn't work, search google for "Windows 7 repair wmi" and follow the more detailed instructions to make a full repair.

Or reinstall windows.

This worked perfectly for me. Have been trying for several months and just gave up until I did a google search and found this forum. I did the resetrepository and then I ran 17.3 with admin. priv. and in XP 2 compatibility mode. Thank You.
Hi. I have installed kb2670838, uninstalled, installed it again..., Kodi keeps saying it's not there. I tried the suggestions:
1. "open with 7z..." : didn't work.
2. " winmgmt /verifyrepository " reported “WMI Repository is consistent” so I didn't do the " winmgmt /resetrepository " part (also, doing it is "very dangerous and risky" from what I investigated.
3. "XP 2 compatibility mode" (or XP3 or Vista...) didn't work.
4. I tried installing last nightly and Leia, they also wrongly ask for kb2670838.

So I found a portable Kodi 17.3 which installed and works. Therefore I would assume that KB2670838 IS installed on my system (already knew it) and works with Kodi.

Even if "the Update system, tells you the KB is installed, while another part of Windows tells Kodi it is not" the regular Kodi installer is at fault because it's asking the wrong part of Windows (as testified by the many users with this problem) to tell it if the KB is there, please developers can you use another route to check the KB, the one Windows Update uses?
Or let us install the program, and if later something doesn't work, THEN show a popup telling 'KB___ or whatever is wrongly installed in your system'.
Or publish an official portable -idk why that doesn't screw with the KB checking- please?

Thank you.
(2017-07-28, 22:20)kod20172nuser2 Wrote: 3. "XP 2 compatibility mode" (or XP3 or Vista...) didn't work.

Interesting. That's pretty much *the* accepted workaround for this issue. Never seen it fail before. What exactly did you do and what happened?
I have win7 64. Al the compatibility options gave me the same 'no kb2670838 present'. I know, strange.
Maybe the trick worked for 17.1 (I won't try that version, anyway I need the 17.3) but now 17.3 checks the KB in XP too.

Really, just drop the check KB, and show error popups later if something fails while using the program. Or offer the portable.
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17.x Installation problem with KB2670838 Win7 x643