• 18(current)
Solved Kodi 17.x Installation problem with KB2670838 Win7 x64
(2017-07-29, 01:44)kod20172nuser2 Wrote: I have win7 64. Al the compatibility options gave me the same 'no kb2670838 present'. I know, strange.
Maybe the trick worked for 17.1 (I won't try that version, anyway I need the 17.3) but now 17.3 checks the KB in XP too.

Really, just drop the check KB, and show error popups later if something fails while using the program. Or offer the portable.

If you have check the kodi wiki, you would have known that it is already possible to run kodi as portable mode

Kodi wiki is down right now so here is a link to know how to do it: https://wiki.mpdb.tv/go/Installation_de_...e_Portable
Moanbag is in da place!
I read about that option, to use it you have to have the program installed first...

The reason I mentioned portable is because I found a portable 17.3 that installed fine, but it's not official so who knows if it's a good idea to use it.
t's not about 17.1 anymore, the original post should be updated to "Windows - Kodi 17.3 Installation problem with KB2670838 Win7 x64" , or lets start a new one?

(idk if developers won't read posts about 17.1 ...)
I have changed it to 17.x.

It still applies to all v17 releases - v17, v17.1, v17.2, v17.3 and it will apply to v17.4 when it is released.

If there is a problem with v18 when released, someone will start a new thread. Smile
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
When I attempt to install Kodi it gives me the same KB2670838 platform error. I follow the instructions at microsoft and it says the platform update does not apply to my machine.

Is there a working installer for windows 7 yet?
(2017-07-30, 23:27)prodge Wrote: Is there a working installer for windows 7 yet?
The issue is revealed here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2594138 The installer works fine.
ever since the ransomeware attacks i was advised to close some udp ports and to disable wmi. i have been having the same problem with kodi and some other programs. im going to re-enable wmi and see if thats the issue. i had 17.1 running but uninstalled it to update to 17.3 and thats when the problem started will post results later today. thanks for the info
(2017-07-31, 00:54)PatK Wrote: The issue is revealed here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2594138 The installer works fine.
No, it doesn't for many people, you are just one of the lucky ones. The condescending post you link is wrong in many ways: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2624177 .

Kodi the program works fine, the installer doesn't. The fault can be -many possibilities-, Windows fault, whatever, but the check for KB2670838 is stopping people with the KB INSTALLED to install Kodi at all, that would work perfectly fine if allowed to. (FACT, I found a portable unoficial Kodi 17.3 that works just fine, I would like to use an official installer (or official Portable) but can't because this KB faulty check.

Please: why instead of the KB check, not just put at install time a 'Warning: You need to have KB2670838 installed or the program won't function properly', and maybe also during the use of the program if something doesn't work popup a 'you don't have KB2670838 or it is wrongly installed'?

and let people install Kodi and see for themselves if it works or not.
(2017-08-02, 22:12)kod20172nuser2 Wrote: Please: why instead of the KB check, not just put at install time a 'Warning: You need to have KB2670838 installed or the program won't function properly', and maybe also during the use of the program if something doesn't work popup a 'you don't have KB2670838 or it is wrongly installed'?
Because then the forums would be full of people saying "What's this popup I keep getting saying 'you don't have KB2670838 or it is wrongly installed', it's annoying how do I get rid of it"

Your idea doesn't actually solve anything, instead it creates additional problems.
Hey guys, I just registered here so I could add my $.02 that I have yet to see any of the numerous mentions of this problem address... I too am having this same problem on a FRESH WINDOWS INSTALLATION that operates flawlessly.

First of all, to the person above who said Kodi must be installed in order to use it as a portable version... that makes no sense... a portable application by definition means it does not need to be installed in order to run.

Anyways... on to my main point(s):

Just because the update is "4 years old" does NOT mean it is a good or worthwhile update. Windows is known for an awful update system/platform.

Many of Microsoft's updates actually ruin Windows installations and cause more problems than they are worth. (This is why so many people/computers/businesses/etc are so vulnerable to all of the malware and ransomware we have been hearing about as of late.)

I should know, I just recently reformatted and set up my multi-boot system from scratch and had the pleasure of learning about all of the shitty new updates to be avoided. *I literally had to reformat and reinstall Windows 7 several times in the process of figuring out all of the new quirks that have come about since my last fresh installation a few years ago.*

In fact, I actually compiled a list that I will post at the bottom of this reply. SPOILER ALERT: this "required" Windows update is actually THE WORST OFFENDER of all of the blacklisted updates I have in my list. I have seen others mention this update is necessary for security reasons but I don't remember the update being crucial to security integrity of a modern Windows 7 (x64) installation. Feel free to inform me better in this area if I am wrong regarding it as a non-security related update.

It completely breaks Win7 Aero features and themes, and actually results in poorer graphics performance in my case. (I have an HP ENVY dv4 laptop with Intel Ivybridge quad core i7 processor and Intel HD 4000 graphics, coupled with a GT630M 2GB graphics chip.) It is my understanding that this update in question essentially rips out the Win7 graphics stack (among other things too) and replaces it with Win8 graphics stack. It should be noted that Win8 DOES NOT support Aero.

Not only does it "break" themes and Aero, but it also actually corrupts a lot of other critical system files and functions. Worst of all, you can't fully uninstall it or restore your system without the problems it creates persisting.

Personally, that is a deal breaker for me since I love my custom Aero themes and run a custom Windows 7 x64 edition with a lot of the BS pre-stripped out of it and many excessive and unnecessary services, disabled or set to manual.

This entire experience has been rather discouraging for me (a brand new Kodi user) and I know quite a bit about how to maintain and take care of my machine and work around issues. I can only imagine those who are not technically savvy will quickly give up or turn away from Kodi because of this... for better or for worse I suppose.

Anyways, here is my personal DO NOT INSTALL list for Windows 7 Updates (I run x64 bit Win7 fyi):

KB971033 (license validation)

KB2505438 (breaks font Win7)

KB2670838 (breaks Aero Win7 - do not install IE!)

KB2902907 (description not available)

KB2952664 (Get Windows 10 assistant)

KB2976978 (compatibility update for Windows 8.1)

KB2976987 (description not available)

KB2977759 (Win10 update prep for Win7)

KB2990214 (Get Windows 10 for Win7)

KB3021917 (telemetry for Win7)

KB3022345 (telemetry)

KB3035583 (Get Windows 10 for Win7sp1/8.1)

KB3044374 (Get Windows 10 for Win8.1)

KB3050265 (update for "Windows Update" on Win7)

KB3068708 (telemetry)

KB3065987 (update for "Windows Update" on Win7/Server 2008R2)

KB3075249 (telemetry for Win7/8.1)

KB3075853 (update for "Windows Update" on Win8.1/Server 2012R2)

KB3080149 (telemetry for Win7/8.1)

KB3081954 (Telemetry Update for Windows 7)

KB3102810 (update for "Windows Update")

KB3112343 (Windows Update Client for Windows 7)

KB3123862 (Windows Update Client for Windows 7)

KB3135445 (Windows Update Client for Windows 7)

KB3139929 (Get Windows 10 update for MSIE)

KB3138612 (Windows Update Client for Windows 7)

KB3138615 (Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1)

KB3133977 (buggy update)

KB3139923 (Another GWX for Windows 7/8.1)

KB3150513 (Compatibility Update (another GWX) for Windows 7/8.1)

KB3173040 (Another GWX for Windows 7/8.1)
Too much text.....
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2017-08-02, 22:48)Martijn Wrote: Too much text.....

Are you seriously going to complain about an informative post aimed to help others and shed some light on this topic because it is "too long" for you to read?

I am not too impressed with Kodi or its "official" support and moderation team at this point.
@maleko48, what Direct-X version are you running, given your hesitance to update ? As I remember one of these updates was required as it updated Direct-X and numerous other things required to run Kodi properly. I may be wrong, I just seem to remember having this issue a few years ago. You can do what you want with your system of course, but you can't expect software to be backwards compatible forever Smile
@kod20172nuser2

Please don't take offence, if there was an easy fix, I'd be the first to spill the beans, perhaps one message down https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2594156 gives opportunities. It looks like people who have ongoing issues, reinstalled windows 7 and have a success at the install, likewise for those who moved on to windows 10. Note that in the seven previous pages there have been other solutions, and in that, there may be a fix for you.

The developers looked very carefully at this issue, and any work around seemed to cause other issues or worse compromised the operating system. I'll give a thumbs up to @maleko48 and his post.

Portable mode Is simply installing any version to a folder, creating a shortcut icon and in the target line of the icon put -p after the executable. http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable If you find no issue with the portable mode, use it. Failing that LibreElec from a USB stick will put a totally new face on your Kodi install.
I'm also not so impressed with the general code of conduct of users towards the developers and people spending shitload of time on Kodi and it has greatly declined over the years. Each has his/her opinions. I simply don't like walls of text
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17.x Installation problem with KB2670838 Win7 x643