• 107(current)
Intel Apollo Lake
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27199

Intel 22.20.16.4815 graphics driver.
I have tested LibreELEC, as suggested by Win a 2.

On a USB stick I had LibreELEC 8.0.2 (latest generic stable version, without any Milhouse optimizations or anything like that).

The videos all ran smooth like butter on my NUC6CAYH!

Now I saw that that LibreELEC version had Kodi 17.3, the previous release from the 17.4 I have installed in Ubuntu.

I tried to find a possibility to install Kodi 17.3 on my Ubuntu 16.04 to test whether it's just Kodi 17.4 which makes problems  - but with no success!
Either I can only install 17.4, or I get 16.1 from the "kodi-old" ppa, or I can install the development build 18.0 (which also has the stutter problem)...

Is there any possibility to get installation files of Kodi 17.3?? (Preferably in .deb format, for Xenial...)

Thanks in advance!
(2017-10-11, 18:15)hasenbein Wrote: I tried to find a possibility to install Kodi 17.3 on my Ubuntu 16.04  to test whether it's just Kodi 17.4 which makes problems  - but with no success!
Either I can only install 17.4, or I get 16.1 from the "kodi-old" ppa, or I can install the development build 18.0 (which also has the stutter problem)...

Is there any possibility to get installation files of Kodi 17.3?? (Preferably in .deb format, for Xenial...)

LibreELEC (Krypton) v8.1.2 BETA has Kodi 17.4 final.
(2017-10-11, 18:15)hasenbein Wrote: I have tested LibreELEC, as suggested by Win a 2.

On a USB stick I had LibreELEC 8.0.2 (latest generic stable version, without any Milhouse optimizations or anything like that).

The videos all ran smooth like butter on my NUC6CAYH!

Now I saw that that LibreELEC version had Kodi 17.3, the previous release from the 17.4 I have installed in Ubuntu.

I tried to find a possibility to install Kodi 17.3 on my Ubuntu 16.04  to test whether it's just Kodi 17.4 which makes problems  - but with no success!

Thanks in advance!

Is this of any use ? I'm not a Linux expert.   https://pkgs.org/download/kodi     (Debian Sid)
17.3 is not your solution. 17.4 on le will work the very same.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
It seems I have the same problem user "atom" described in another thread (Installing Kodi on a 16.04 server).

25fps videos have that recurring micro stutter, other formats not.

I'm really at my wit's end. I tried really everything - using different kernels, upgrading Mesa, installing the Intel Broxton firmware files, disabling RC6 sleep mode via kernel parameter, fiddling around with the different Kodi settings for video and audio, used Kodi 16.1 or 18, researched endlessly in the net and read looong forum threads etc.pp.

It's really VERY annoying.
I flashed the new bios on a J4205 board and it seems that my internal tv card is now working more reliable. But this could also be related to something else. Btw. is anyone experiencing hangs for several seconds in the J4205 bios itself while moving from one section/option to another. I am experiencing these hangs since the very first day and no bios update to date fixed it for me.
I have started from scratch.

Wiped hard disk, installed Linux anew on my NUC6CAYH (this time Linux Mint 18.2 instead of Ubuntu 16.04, but I doubt it makes any difference in respect to the Kodi problem).
Installed the usual updates, blah. Then Kodi (from the team-xbmc ppa).

Out of the box, with Mint's kernel 4.8, videos in Kodi ran, but with tearing, absolutely unusable.

Then I installed Fritsch's kernel 4.13 rc7 (http://fritsch.fruehberger.net/kernel/) which didn't help in my previous Ubuntu installation.

And bam, all videos absolutely smooth, regardless of framerate!

Finally I'm happy, all is running well!

I absolutely don't know what was happening on my first installation. Could it have anything to do with the fact that I made the basic installation connected to an old 1920x1200 DVI monitor so that the X system got a bit confused (e.g. wrong configuration files remaining) when I finally connected it to my HDMI switch and the 1920x1080 projector??
(2017-10-14, 10:13)hasenbein Wrote: I have started from scratch.

Wiped hard disk, installed Linux anew on my NUC6CAYH (this time Linux Mint 18.2 instead of Ubuntu 16.04, but I doubt it makes any difference in respect to the Kodi problem).
Installed the usual updates, blah. Then Kodi (from the team-xbmc ppa).

Out of the box, with Mint's kernel 4.8, videos in Kodi ran, but with tearing, absolutely unusable.

Then I installed Fritsch's kernel 4.13 rc7 (http://fritsch.fruehberger.net/kernel/) which didn't help in my previous Ubuntu installation.

And bam, all videos absolutely smooth, regardless of framerate!

Finally I'm happy, all is running well!

I absolutely don't know what was happening on my first installation. Could it have anything to do with the fact that I made the basic installation connected to an old 1920x1200 DVI monitor so that the X system got a bit confused (e.g. wrong configuration files remaining) when I finally connected it to my HDMI switch and the 1920x1080 projector??

Mint is not meant as basis for kodi. It's compositor (redirecting kodi output) and precise playback don't like each other. the rc7 kernel is not needed, you can use a final 4.13.x ubuntu mainline kernel as you want. Also the initial monitor has no influence on that - besides mint is hard coding it's refreshrate for the compositor.

In short: If you want perfect playback, don't use compositors or desktop distributions. For a desktop player I suggest mpv.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thank you very much for your remarks, Fritsch, very much appreciated!

Well, you probably didn't know that in Mint Mate you can disable compositing (which is what I of course did).
In Mate Tweaks, under "Windows" choose "Marco (no compositing)", voila.

So I suppose there should not be a problem with that :-)

Mint Mate provides out of the box the possibility to choose between 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60 Hz refreshrate - do you mean the problem that refresh rates like 23.976 or 59.94 Hz are not supported?
Or in which way could Mint interfere with the perfection of the playback?
(2017-10-14, 21:52)hasenbein Wrote: Thank you very much for your remarks, Fritsch, very much appreciated!

Well, you probably didn't know that in Mint Mate you can disable compositing (which is what I of course did).
In Mate Tweaks, under "Windows" choose "Marco (no compositing)", voila.

So I suppose there should not be a problem with that :-)

Mint Mate provides out of the box the possibility to choose between 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60 Hz refreshrate - do you mean the problem that refresh rates like 23.976 or 59.94 Hz are not supported?
Or in which way could Mint interfere with the perfection of the playback?

I basically mean exactly what I have written. Please check what "Marco (no compositing)" does ... hint: https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/what-is-...on/1331/10 - most people force another compositor as they have problems on mate withou it.

Please reproduce your issue with LibreELEC, file an appropriate bugreport (trac.kodi.tv) best with version 18 nightly and then this can be fixed.
Well, again thank you for your valuable input, Fritsch.

May be that someone who wants 4k, multichannel audio or passthrough gets problems with Mint.
But I just want 1080p for my projector and simple stereo sound for my HiFi.
And for that Kodi on Mint works flawlessly. I don't see what could be better video-wise. Absolutely smooth.

Because some people said it I changed to Compiz and installed the Intel drivers for Ubuntu 16.04 via the Intel graphics update tool (the tool had to be tricked into believing that it runs on Ubuntu 16.04, not Mint, by editing a configuration file - I learned that this is called "frankensteining it together" :-D ). Now also the hardware acceleration works :-)

Thank you very much, folks, and have fun!
I see more people have some problems , with Apollo
I have just made a new HTPC with a Asrock J4205 (HD505) and installed LibreELEC last version
When i installed it i see at startup some problems , and also at shutdown sometimes . i have flickering screen , mostly only at startup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rg26E14Mho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmSBRp3dyA

When kodi is compleet loaded, i have no flickering screen. I try to find if the right driver is installed/supported, but the only thing i could find is : at openELEC, recommended GPU Intel HD Graphics (built in most modern Intel CPUs)
Does somebody has this also , or has a solution HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

I tried a Libreelec en openelec last revision clean install, but have the same problem
(2017-10-16, 09:41)hasenbein Wrote: Well, again thank you for your valuable input, Fritsch.

May be that someone who wants 4k, multichannel audio or passthrough gets problems with Mint.
And for that Kodi on Mint works flawlessly. I don't see what could be better video-wise. Absolutely smooth.

Because some people said it I changed to Compiz and installed the Intel drivers for Ubuntu 16.04 via the Intel graphics update tool (the tool had to be tricked into believing that it runs on Ubuntu 16.04, not Mint, by editing a configuration file - I learned that this is called "frankensteining it together" :-D ). Now also the hardware acceleration works :-)

@noggin, i see you have the same board
(2017-10-18, 12:29)NiekN Wrote:
(2017-10-16, 09:41)hasenbein Wrote: Well, again thank you for your valuable input, Fritsch.

@noggin, i see you have the same board

Not sure which board you are referring to. I had a Haswell i5 NUC for a couple of years, but have since sold it as it was gathering dust. I don't have any Apollo Lake or Kaby Lake setups at the moment.

For reference currently I have : 

nVidia Shield TV (Android) 
Wetek Hub (Libre Elec)
No name S905 1GB/8GB box (LibreElec)
Haswell Celeron Chromeboxes x 2 (Ubuntu Server on one as my main TV Headend server, LibreElec on the other)
Raspberry Pis x too many (LibreElec if running Kodi on them)
ODroid C2 (LibreElec)

Intel M3 compute stick (Windows 10 - used mainly for travelling - running Kodi and a VPN client to get me onto my home network)
Skylake i7 workhorse PC (Windows 10 and Ubuntu)
Macbook Pro (MacOS for work)

Dell Xeon ESXi server running VMs for Sophos UTM Firewall, Home Assistant home automation
Sandy Bridge Celeron running UNRaid for 20TB of media storage

Denon AVR X2400 UHD Amp
Sony 49" non-HDR UHD TV

And guess what - my main Netflix viewing is on a Sony UHD Blu-ray player. It properly changes frame rate, runs UHD 2160p - and last night started streaming DD+ not Dolby Digital (is this a new thing?)
  • 107(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Apollo Lake9