• 112(current)
Intel Apollo Lake
I had the same issue with 1.72 on the J4205-ITX and reverted to 1.66, when installed I could not get 4K resolutions, no audio pass-through this can be seen in the Audio and Video properties pages. In the Intel Setting Utility the Digital Television is now named BOBCAT2800 instead of Marantz-AVR, so it is not retrieving support information from the actual receiver.

I did not need the change made by this firmware (so probably should not have applied it), but did this cause the same issues on the 2 named supported device families the update was meant for (NUC6CAY and NUC7ixBN)?
I'd like to buy Vorke V1 Plus
http://www.vorke.com/vorke-v1-plus

Operating System: Windows10 home 64-bit
CPU: Intel Apollo Lake J3455(1.5-2.3Ghz)
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 500
RAM: LPDDR3 4GB (1600MHz)
ROM: 64GB mSATA SSD(Endless extension for SSD, 1TB extension for HDD, Support 2.5″ SATA3 SSD)
Sound Codec Chip: Realtek ALC269
Wifi Connectivity: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165,802.11ac,2.4G/5G
Ethernet: Gigabit LAN
Bluetooth: 4.2
Card Reader: Micro SD card slot(Realtek RTS5170)
HDMI Port: Standard HDMI Male 2.0a,Support 4k@60Hz

Wich is the limit of Apollo Lake system?
Can i play?:
1) 4K HEVC 10bit?
2) 4K HEVC HDR 10bit?

Thanks
Yes
No
(2017-11-15, 17:16)honcho Wrote: Yes
No

Thanke.
So, for full 4K support (on Win10) we must wait gemini lake!
(2017-11-15, 19:04)mamachan Wrote:
(2017-11-15, 17:16)honcho Wrote: Yes
No

Thanke.
So, for full 4K support (on Win10) we must wait gemini lake! 
No, for HDR. Apollo lake will play 10 bit HEVC fine. 

Gemini lake hasn't confirmed HDR either.. i'm worried it won;t have it.
Sure you can play HDR without performance issues, but it gets presentend in the wrong color space (everything to bright).
I think the biggest benefit would be if Kodi/Libreelec at least would do a correct color space conversion. Or is this already working? Is Kodi already processing 10 bit video information or is it still 8 bit?

I remember that HDR Movies always where to bright or had strong artifacts in dark/black areas. I am using a FHD TV.

Additional Information for 1.72: I was able to switch from limited to full color range in LibreElec (without getting dark picture); until now it was only possible in Windows. Audio soundsystem switchend to "Alsa".
Did anybody ran into the problem, that, while using an avr (Denon X2300W, 4k/60 kompatible), inbetween the TV and the Intel NUC6CAYH, the maximal refreshrate which can be selected using 4k is 30Hz? Connecting the NUC directly to the TV lets me choose up to 60Hz. Already tried using different cables makes no difference. The connection between the TV and the AVR shouldn`t be the problem, because the TV is correctly advertised as 4k/60Hz capable to the AVR (within the menu of the AVR).

Does anybody has a clue? Are these false set registers of the LSPCON, so it does operates at HDMI 1.4, where 2.0 would be the right mode?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Ontige
I have the same receiver and nuc and in Windows I could select 4k at 60 no problem. With libreelec I had to use an asutostart.sh file with xrandr commands in it and have full uhd color on to get 4k at 60
On Linux there is a problem with YUV vs. RGB kernel output modes. Chances are very good that it already works with a DRM-TIP kernel.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Good morning and thanks for the feedback.

I`ve played a little with my setup yesterday and came to the idea, that it is a problem of the AVR not the NUC nor Libreelex either. I`ve notived, that when I`m connecting the NUC directly to the TV, even the UEFI and the verbose bootscreen is running natively in 4k which isn`t the fault when setting up the AVR inbetween them. So my conclusion is that the AVR is only detected as HDMI 1.4 capable. @gwilly7: can you please test that and report back if your setup is showing the same behavior?

Setting the xrandrmode on the fly via ssh lets my loose the picture on my TV. Haven`t tested it via autostart.sh. Maybe I will give it a try today.

I will contact Denon with the Problem and report back, what their answer is.

Greetings,
Manuel
meight someone be so friendly to answer this set of question, because whereever I ask, noone  knows:

"I think the biggest benefit would be if Kodi/Libreelec at least would do a correct color space conversion (edit: while watching HDR sources on non HDR devices). Or is this already working? Is Kodi already processing 10 bit video information or is it still 8 bit?"
(2017-11-20, 10:48)flyingernst Wrote: meight someone be so friendly to answer this set of question, because whereever I ask, noone  knows:

"I think the biggest benefit would be if Kodi/Libreelec at least would do a correct color space conversation (edit: while watching HDR sources on non HDR devices). Or is this already working? Is Kodi already processing 10 bit video information or is it still 8 bit?"
 Do you mean 10 bit to 8 bit conversion or do you mean HDR to SDR conversion?  

Converting 10 bit SDR to 8 bit SDR is relatively easy (you ideally dither rather than just truncate the two LSBs to reduce banding)

Converting 10/12 bit HDR to 8 bit SDR is less trivial - as you are (usually) converting between two very different colour spaces (Rec 2020 and Rec 709), gammas (SMPTE 2084 and ITU 1886) etc. which is a more computationally expensive process I believe (and one that is still quite difficult to do well)

Of course that's one reason why HLG is a good idea for HDR - the signal is already SDR (at least in Rec2020 colour space usually) backwards compatible...

(It's important not to think that 10bit = HDR. It doesn't.  10 bit SDR video has been with us since the 90s at least...)
Hi, no, wasnt thinking that 10bit=HDR. Thanks for your answer. Well then I think there is no conversion ( ;-P ) in Kodi. But how are 4K-Bluray-Player handling this color topics while connected to a FHD TV and watching a HDR source?
I ask this because more and more releases have HDR and I dont think a majority of the people do have HDR TVs
(2017-11-20, 13:41)flyingernst Wrote: Hi, no, wasnt thinking that 10bit=HDR. Thanks for your answer. Well then I think there is no conversion ( ;-P ) in Kodi. But how are 4K-Bluray-Player handling this color topics while connected to a FHD TV and watching a HDR source?
I ask this because more and more releases have HDR and I dont think a majority of the people do have HDR TVs
 Some Kodi platforms ARE doing HDR to SDR conversions of some sort - but I think this may be handled outside of Kodi (i.e. within hardware accelerated decoding stuff?)

UHD Blu-ray players include HDR to SDR tone mapping style conversion I believe - and there are user-controls to alter the mapping. (My Sony has a relatively small number of modes, but Panasonic players apparently have a much larger number). UHD HDR streaming sources will usually stream an SDR graded or optimised version of the content you are playing, rather than requiring your display to convert though - so Netflix and Amazon HDR content is handled differently to HDR UHD Blu-rays.

In my experience the mapping of HDR to SDR UHD Blu-rays isn't amazing - and HDR UHD content played on an SDR UHD display looks compromised compared to an HD Blu-ray upscaled in highlights/lowlights terms (some settings look very black crushed for instance)

That said - increasing numbers of HDR compatible (even if not that brilliant) HDR displays are now on-sale - and moving forward the bulk of UHD sets will be HDR, so as the installation base increases the number of SDR UHD displays will decrease.  

I think UHD Blu-ray is still pretty niche, so I suspect the number of people watching HDR UHD Blu-rays on SDR UHD sets is quite a small proportion.  The relatively underwhelming handling of HDR content on our SDR UHD display was a reason for us to upgrade to an HDR display (We now have a 10-bit + FALD Sony 49XE9005 LCD model. Beware - this set has known issues with frame drops and frame repeats in any mode other than GAME)
Thanks for Information. Well, I have FHD TV (42'') and a FHD projektor (around 100''). The benefit for the projector of a 4K Source is large, even so it only has 2k, so I watch 4K sources. 4k projectors are to expensive at the moment, so I wont buy one soon.
  • 112(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Apollo Lake9