• 151(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Hi, 

after reading stuff on the big www I am still not sure. 
I need a 4k HDR capable device. 
I also need something that will play nice with my Hue strips. Right now I have to fiddle with the hardware accelerators and because of this I don't get smooth playback (android better than libreelec/openelec in this case). 
Here is where I stumble on my issue. All android devices have amcodec and mediacodec (surface) accelerators, which I need to disable. I can only use normal mediacodec. On libreelec I can only use amcodec which needs to be disabled. 
By using hyperion I assume I could bypass these issue. But I do not get any help how to set it up properly with Hue. Hyperion wiki does not really help me...

So, I "believe" my best chances would be with a NUC/HTPC (windows). Which one is really capable of 4k HDR? I am not interested in 3D. 
Is the GT1030 capable of this or not? No definitive answer found regarding this. Only that the 2GB VRAM would be insufficient for HDR... As a price stand, this card is not bad.

Thank you!
As Shield has issues w/1080p to/from 4K HDR autoswitching w/o upscaling issues (seeing this issue as I switch from a LG OLED TV to Epson 5040UB PJ), what's the best LibreELEC option for proper/auto 1080p/4K HDR, framerate (23.976/24/60) switching box? Don't need Netflix, etc. Just Kodi. Minix U9-H or is there something cheaper that'll perform as well? Do want gigabit ethernet.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
@dukester seemed pretty happy with the S912 in THIS post

Hey guys - can't decide between a Minix Neo U9-H or a Amlogic H96 Pro TV Box. I'm a complete noob with his stuff and have no idea what the LibreELEC Kodi means which I've been reading in a lot of threads.

I'm just after a box that can allow me to install apps to it to Live Stream sport and also Kodi. I assume either of the above would do this fine?
(2017-11-16, 02:17)wrxtasy Wrote: @dukester seemed pretty happy with the S912 in THIS post

Thanks, I had considered at the time he had mentioned... in any case, I took a chance & just ordered a rebranded version off Amazon. Will try out & report back.
My Family Room Theater
Works good but some time when it stick or gives any trouble I have to come out and power off and start it over again. And u always have to clear your memory and ever thing will run ok.
See kodi boxes review here:

https://www.mykodiboxes.com/
https://www.kodivpn.co/best-kodi-boxes/
(2017-11-16, 02:40)Kosie Wrote: Hey guys - can't decide between a Minix Neo U9-H or a Amlogic H96 Pro TV Box. I'm a complete noob with his stuff and have no idea what the LibreELEC Kodi means which I've been reading in a lot of threads.

I'm just after a box that can allow me to install apps to it to Live Stream sport and also Kodi. I assume either of the above would do this fine?
Amlogic H96 Pro TV Box and LibreELEC kodi works like a charm for me, no complains at all
Libreelec is a small Linux system designed for running Kodi. It runs well on many amlogic s905/s912 machines that are sold with Android. Libreelec replaces Android, although it may be possible to dual boot. See libreelec.tv
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-11-16, 02:48)hdmkv Wrote:
(2017-11-16, 02:17)wrxtasy Wrote: @dukester seemed pretty happy with the S912 in THIS post

Thanks, I had considered at the time he had mentioned... in any case, I took a chance & just ordered a rebranded version off Amazon. Will try out & report back.  
Got my KM8 Pro S912 2GB/16GB, and using LE 8.2, I'm only getting 8-bit 4K and no 3D MVC Sad. Box is snappy & handles high bitrate stuff, but @dukester, which LE build are you using?
My Family Room Theater
(2017-11-18, 22:38)hdmkv Wrote:
(2017-11-16, 02:48)hdmkv Wrote:

Got my KM8 Pro S912 2GB/16GB, and using LE 8.2, I'm only getting 8-bit 4K and no 3D MVC Sad. Box is snappy & handles high bitrate stuff, but @dukester, which LE build are you using? 
im running the build from this post, https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/5848-8...-for-s912/ , i cant get 3D working on it myself, i gave up and just use it for UHD BR playback now. my HT reports 10bit and i get HDR from the box no issues, i just left the box set at 1080p resolution in the settings.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
Thanks... hmm, that's what I'm using as well, but latest v8.2.0.1. No 10-bit.
My Family Room Theater
(2017-11-19, 00:49)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks... hmm, that's what I'm using as well, but latest v8.2.0.1. No 10-bit.
 You have to use Putty (or similar) to login via SSH and set 10-bit using this command : echo '444,10bit' > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr. To force it during reboots you have to save it in /storage/.config/autostart.sh

BTW, 3D MVC decode only works with the MoviePlayer app in Android. It doesn't work in LibreELEC.
(2017-11-19, 00:49)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks... hmm, that's what I'm using as well, but latest v8.2.0.1. No 10-bit.
 i just checked again and my AVR is reporting YCbCr444 24bit, which i guess meant 8bit output only... I just did some reading and did this via SSH and now im getting 30 bit / 10 bit output

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/9497-h...zaq-8-1-3/
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2017-11-19, 01:16)wesk05 Wrote: To force it during reboots you have to save it in /storage/.config/autostart.sh
How do you do this bit? Thanks.
My Family Room Theater
(2017-11-19, 04:00)hdmkv Wrote: How do you do this bit? Thanks. 
It is posted in the LibreELECthread that @dukester has linked above Smile You do this also with SSH login. If you are using PuTTY, you can copy and then simply right click in the terminal window to paste it.

echo "echo '444,10bit' > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr" >/storage/.config/autostart.sh
  • 151(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28