• 6(current)
Sony Android TV Passthrough not working for anything
(2017-10-25, 21:50)lesmikesell Wrote: Has anyone compared the kodi client-side transcoding to Plex doing it server-side?    My ears aren't that great but my first impression is that kodi sounds better with my concert videos where DTS is being transcoded to DD 5.1.   Could they be using a different output bitrate or is this my imagination?

May I know how to setup transcoding DTS to DD 5.1? In the audio passthrough setting menu of v17.5, I couldn't find the option for DTS, only DD is available.
Quote:Has anyone compared the kodi client-side transcoding to Plex doing it server-side?    My ears aren't that great but my first impression is that kodi sounds better with my concert videos where DTS is being transcoded to DD 5.1.   Could they be using a different output bitrate or is this my imagination?
I would have thought the other way around as Kodi transcodes to 384kbps due to bugs in various Android HW players.
(2017-10-26, 05:37)steamman Wrote:
(2017-10-25, 21:50)lesmikesell Wrote: Has anyone compared the kodi client-side transcoding to Plex doing it server-side?    My ears aren't that great but my first impression is that kodi sounds better with my concert videos where DTS is being transcoded to DD 5.1.   Could they be using a different output bitrate or is this my imagination?

May I know how to setup transcoding DTS to DD 5.1? In the audio passthrough setting menu of v17.5, I couldn't find the option for DTS, only DD is available.

Your TV does not support DTS - that's why it is not there.

Speakers: 2.0
Enable: AC3
Enable: Dolby Transcoding

that's it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-10-26, 14:10)fritsch Wrote:

that's it.

Can you please clarify something for me?
With this setup DTS is being transcoded to 5.1 DD or to 2.0 DD?
I'm a bit confused because with this configuration my soundbar shows DD but I have no way to tell the number of channels.
Also, setting Speakers to 5.1 DTS gets transcoded but DD led on the soundbar is off

I have a Sony Android TV connected with HDMI/ARC to the soundbar
but since you use sondbar, does it really matter Big Grin
(2017-10-26, 16:22)francescob Wrote: Can you please clarify something for me?
With this setup DTS is being transcoded to 5.1 DD or to 2.0 DD?
I'm a bit confused because with this configuration my soundbar shows DD but I have no way to tell the number of channels.
Also, setting Speakers to 5.1 DTS gets transcoded but DD led on the soundbar is off

I have a Sony Android TV connected with HDMI/ARC to the soundbar

The transcoding is to 5.1.  I have a DTS speaker test sample that shows the speaker location as it plays to that channel and I can't really tell a difference between playing it with the sony video app that can pass through DTS to the receiver or letting Kodi transcode to DD 5.1.    If your sound bar accepts DD 5.1 but only has 2 speakers it will almost certainly remix to stereo internally.   I doubt if you can tell the difference between that and letting the TV do it and send two channel PCM, though.   In Kodi, leave the 'speakers' setting at 2.  That is for PCM output not pass-through or transcoded.    With your system, try both pass through enabled and not enabled to see which you like best or if you can tell a difference.  If you actually have rear speakers you'll want passthrough.
(2017-10-26, 14:10)fritsch Wrote: Your TV does not support DTS - that's why it is not there.

that's it.

Technically the TV supports DTS but only when played by the included Sony 'Video' app.  It is the android interface to pass DTS through from other apps that is missing or broken, hence this long thread about a workaround.   But yes, that is all you have to do now - as of version 17.5.  It will transcode formats that wouldn't be possible to pass through ARC/SPDIF into DD 5.1.   That includes DTS, 6-channel AAC, the things you check that your receiver won't handle from the list it shows, and probably some other formats.   And I think it is mentioned somewhere else in this thread that in the player/video settings you can't enable 'sync to display' with audio pass through.

that's it.

I can see the transcoding to DD 5.1 successfully at my AV receiver now, thanks!
(2017-10-26, 18:38)kinggo Wrote: 5.1
but since you use sondbar, does it really matter Big Grin

well the soundbar comes with a subwoofer so the .1 matters Big Grin

Seriously though, I was just curious about it
(2017-10-27, 15:53)francesco Wrote: well the soundbar comes with a subwoofer so the .1 matters Big Grin

Seriously though, I was just curious about it

Your sound bar will almost certainly direct low frequencies to the sub whether or not they come in on the LFE channel.   There could be some difference, but which you prefer might not be what you expect.  In any case it is great to have it working now.

that's it.

FYI New transcoding setting you have described above causes KODI to crash every time when playing only movies with DTS soundtrack and very latest version of Kodi 17.5.
I have just purchased a Sony 43x800E TV with Android 7, have done latest update to nougat. Have set up with HDMI and ARC and Sync to my Sony 1800ES receiver. Kodi 17.5 pass-through plays everything else OK including AC3 5.1. The only thing I changed from earlier settings was to set Dolby transcoding in KODI audio setup to on and there was a new KODI version 17.5 that I downloaded also today. It was playing DTS 5.1 sources before via pass-through, but only as PCM 2 channel. AC3 5.1 passed through fine. If I turn off transcoding in Kodi audio, it now does not crash, but there is no sound for DTS movies.
Correction to last sentence in post. With transcoding turned off, DTS sound still does work, but in 2 channel PCM. For clarity, turning transcoding on is the cause of the KODI repeated crashes when playing DTS source. Plex transcoding works fine for the same sources in that it transcodes DTS to AC3 successfully.
(2017-10-29, 02:30)jscheeren Wrote: Correction to last sentence in post. With transcoding turned off, DTS sound still does work, but in 2 channel PCM. For clarity, turning transcoding on is the cause of the KODI repeated crashes when playing DTS source. Plex transcoding works fine for the same sources in that it transcodes DTS to AC3 successfully.

Sure, sure ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
hi ,

sorry for the dummy question, but it is not clear to me. should it be fixed from sony, from google or from Kodi  ?

According to the answer, is there a chance to get passthrought working correctly with this tv some days ?

Thank you guys.

P
Enable AC3
Enable Dolby Transcode
Set speakers to 2.0

done
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony Android TV Passthrough not working for anything0