• 307(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
First sticky post in the Linux forum.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-12-12, 18:22)fritsch Wrote: First sticky post in the Linux forum.
 It's a live thing? I'm not too excited about swapping the current install...
Flash the img file to an usb stick, on boot up, type: live

You might need to dd an older image and update it with a .tar.gz file -> The thread mentions helps you doing that.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-12-12, 19:58)fritsch Wrote: Flash the img file to an usb stick, on boot up, type: live

You might need to dd an older image and update it with a .tar.gz file -> The thread mentions helps you doing that.
 Right, on it right now! (my experience with LibreELEC is RPi only.... never used it on a bigger machine!)
(2017-12-12, 12:46)fritsch Wrote: Works for other Apollo Lake users too: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2678431 without artefacts. Mind trying LibreELEC from USB stick?
 Right, apologies for sounding daft about the live thing... I'm used to Milhouse's dev builds, but only for the RPi family. I had no clue about the live thing for x86_64, nifty! Duly downloaded and setup a release USB stick and upgraded to the latest dev build.

And... Absolutely spotless playback! (oh, I wish this 65" OLED was mine and not my brother in law's, its stunning!)

That is good news, as it means that 1. the hardware is plenty capable (hard to fix otherwise) 2. the software is plenty capable and ready too (easier to fix, but not needed).

So, that leaves me to ask your help and pointers as to what in my OS and config is amiss, and I'll be on the road.

A quick recap of what I have on hand:
  • Intel NUC NUC7i5BNK, i5-7260U, Kaby Lake, 8 GB RAM, 120 GB M.2 SSD. BIOS settings appear unrelated, no change between working live LibreELEC and problematic installed OS
  • Ubuntu 7.10 server as a base, up-to-date
  • Kodi nightly PPA for 18, up-to-date
  • wsnipex/vaapi PPA, up-to-date
  • Kodi setup as per your guide (but I'm going to triple-check all the steps, just to be sure, I may have missed something, however confident I feel that I haven't)
  • The machine is also used as a Roon music server, but I seriously doubt that it's relevant, I have the same problems with the service stopped, it doesn't used video or local audio at all)

A few questions:
  • Could the wsnipex/vaapi PPA be the cause? I'm going to purge it just to check
  • Could using the xorg-edgers PPA help?
  • Any direction you would recommend exploring?
  • Any additional/refreshed log/setting/info I can provide?

Thanks again for your help and time so far!
Post me /var/log/Xorg.0.log please

I would first upgrade to a 4.14.x mainline kernel and see what you get.
(2017-12-12, 22:16)fritsch Wrote: Post me /var/log/Xorg.0.log please

It's been a while since I've compiled something from kernel.org, but I'm game!
In the meantime, I've found the Ubuntu Mainline kernel PPA for lazy boys like me.
I'll report when done!

Xorg logs
http://paste.ubuntu.com/26172746/
(2017-12-12, 23:45)camelreef Wrote:
(2017-12-12, 22:16)fritsch Wrote: Post me /var/log/Xorg.0.log please

It's been a while since I've compiled something from kernel.org, but I'm game!
In the meantime, I've found the Ubuntu Mainline kernel PPA for lazy boys like me.
I'll report when done!

Xorg logs
http://paste.ubuntu.com/26172746/ 
ah crap, the latest nightly apparently broke sound in Kodi (I did not do any change on the box outside of software updates)... It does not find any device to play to, which makes Kodi unhappy and a baseline for testing hard to find. Let me see if I can revert
No Debug Log - no issue!
For your other issue, try /etc/X11/xorg.conf with:
Code:
Section "Device"
 Identifier  "Device0"
 Driver      "intel"
 Option      "DRI"  "3"
EndSection
(2017-12-13, 07:18)fritsch Wrote: No Debug Log - no issue!
 Alright, fine! Smile

http://paste.ubuntu.com/26174665/

I thought that it should be a different thread, I believe that it should not be related to VAAPI...

Kodi starting as user kodi. User kodi is a member of the audio group.

User Kodi can see the ALSA devices list with aplay -L and launch alsamixer

http://paste.ubuntu.com/26174671/
(2017-12-13, 07:19)fritsch Wrote: For your other issue, try /etc/X11/xorg.conf with:
Code:
Section "Device"
 Identifier  "Device0"
 Driver      "intel"
 Option      "DRI"  "3"
EndSection
I'll do that as soon as sound is back, as an absence of output clearly messes up all sorts of things!

I also have a 4.14.5 mainline kernel in place to evaluate in the test queue. One change at a time! Smile
Yes - I found the problem - PR will follow and tomorrow it should work again. Damn side effect with other cleanup.
(2017-12-13, 07:35)fritsch Wrote: Yes - I found the problem - PR will follow and tomorrow it should work again. Damn side effect with other cleanup.
 Ah, well, it's written on the tin, it's a daily build of a software in its development cycle! Thanks for looking!

I'll resume 4K playing tests (suggested more recent mainline kernel and xorg.conf section) in 24h or so, if the fix makes it in time for the next build.
Fix comes here: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/13181 btw. you might still have older versions in /var/cache/apt/archives directory - you can install them by sudo dpkg -i just make sure you specify all .deb packages needed with the same version.
  • 307(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18