v18 render 3D movies as 2D at 4k screen resolution on nvidia shield
Recently reached the conclusion that the only way to get all the features I want from Kodi was to go down the nVidia Shield route.

Current set up
nVidia Shield - Kodi 17.6 - 3840x2160p 59.94
Marantz SR6011 (All DD and DTS supported)
Panasonic 4k TV

My library consists of SD, HD 4k and 3D movies.

Previously I've been using the monoscopic/2D mode to play back the 3D movies in 2D.

With this current set up, the image is rendered incorrectly when I chose to use the 2D mode. Only the top left quarter of the image is displayed on the screen.
However, if I change the global settings to 1080 and run the film again, the film is rendered correctly at full screen.
The behaviour is the same for all 3D files I have both SBS and TAB. They are all HD 1080.

I suspect this to be a bug. I know there was an issue previously (v15??) which was fixed in later releases but I think the rendering may only work up to 1080.

I jumped to the shield to fix the Audio issues (was previously using a shitty build on a fireTV) and I'm very happy with the result.

Would be great if someone would point me to any existing info on this problem (tried a search but couldn't find anything specific to the 4k not working vs 1080 working) or maybe even confirm that its a bug that could potentially be added to the list.

TIA.....Ian
XBOX SlimDVD 128Mb graphics Mem Smartxx V3 all in a DVD player case
But now it all runs on a PC> ion330> 4k FireTV> nVidia Shield
Where there's a will there's a way!
Have always had the option of rendering a 3D title in 2D upscaled to 4k using an HTPC with Kodi.  Leave everything at 2160p as usual.  Just turn off stereoscopic.  No idea with a Shield?  Does it even do 3D, especially frame packed?
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2017-12-28, 00:29)brazen1 Wrote: Have always had the option of rendering a 3D title in 2D upscaled to 4k using an HTPC with Kodi.  Leave everything at 2160p as usual.  Just turn off stereoscopic.  No idea with a Shield?  Does it even do 3D, especially frame packed?
 Yep, def have the option........
Was using it on my ION330 for a couple of years without an issue (except for the time there was a bug in v15)

What I'm saying is the option does not scale the picture correctly with the shield set to 4k which is obviously how I want to use it.
When the resolution is set to 4k on the shield, the 2D option only shows the top left 25% of the frame which fits the whole screen (TV is still receiving the image as 4k)

When I limit the shield to max output of 1080, the same option renders the entire frame on the screen.

You can see in the pics the same file at roughly the same point in the film with the 2 behaviours.
TV received resolution top right which is the the TV OSD and the file details with 2D options at the bottom from KODI.

4K Resolution GUI renders correctly but video is zoomed in to only show the top left 25% of the frame

1080 Resolution Full frame displayed
Same issue with my new Shield TV to LG OLED 4K
When forcing to Monoscopic 2D, all 1080p 3D movies show just the 1K of the upper left.

If left to play as SBS, movie displays scaled correctly
Identical behavior on a FireTV running 4k native Sad

Looks like a general issue running the 3D>2D conversion when running the screen at native 4k. Maybe the code is only valid for 3D>2D rendering at 1080??
Any thoughts on this at allHuh

Is it a Bug? should I raise a ticket?
(2018-01-02, 19:56)uv101 Wrote: Any thoughts on this at allHuh

Is it a Bug? should I raise a ticket?

Several of us now with the issue so good idea: https://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17707

Maybe a simple math bug easily fixed?
(2018-01-04, 06:43)eturk Wrote:
(2018-01-02, 19:56)uv101 Wrote: Any thoughts on this at allHuh

Is it a Bug? should I raise a ticket?

Several of us now with the issue so good idea: https://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17707

Maybe a simple math bug easily fixed?  
Hope so.........
Not a show stopper but would be good only have each film in the library once i.e. use the 3d version for both 3d and 2d Smile
Thanks
(2018-01-04, 10:58)uv101 Wrote: Hope so.........
Not a show stopper but would be good only have each film in the library once i.e. use the 3d version for both 3d and 2d Smile
Thanks 

I'd have to re-rip every 3D movie to 2D because they can't play correctly. Need this one fixed.
Or use a better device.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Hi All, 

I have the same hardware, and having the same issue. Was there a fix for this?
There wasn't....

Still an issue in Leia v18.1

Someone please change the topic to v18....
Done
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
As mentioned in trac ticket http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17707#comment:8:

This issue should be solved with this PR: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/15649
If the automated build is finished, you can get a test build for android clicking on the jenkins build status at the bottom of the PR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
render 3D movies as 2D at 4k screen resolution on nvidia shield1