How do I limit the movies shown under movies to certain folders?
Hi all

I have all my unwatched movies in one share on my NAS (New Movies) and then watched movies in a different share (called movie archive), so when we watch a movie I move the watched movies from the new movies to the movie archive. 

In Kodi I only add in the New Movies folder added, and have always used a seperate profile for my movie archive as I don't want Kodi to show any of the watched stuff (I know you can hide watched, but there are hundreds I've watched that Kodi and Trakt don't know about).

So my question is this; how can I have both new movies and movie archive added in to Kodi but limit the movies that show up in "Movies" to be only the new movies folder/share? 

I'd also then like to be able to have a second main menu option for the movie archive which only picks up movies from that archive folder. 

I know I'd need to use a skin that allows custom menus - I usually use Titan Beta with a vertical menu (Kodi 18) but I think this is more a general Kodi query as it could apply to various skins (hence posting it in here).

I hope that makes sense.....! Thanks
Sounds like you want Custom Home Items and a compatible skin... https://kodi.wiki/view/Custom_Home_Items
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks Karellen, that looks the way to go. I've had a poke around with the library node editor but can't quite get my head around how it works (ie nodes and parent nodes, etc).

I do use smart playlists so they're a good option, plus I can add a rule to only show things with zero playcount (as default widgets still seem to show watched movies). I hadn' seen the tag option before though, that sounds really handy for customising playlists more accurately, I guess there's not a way of having tags applied automatically (eg for when a movie is put into the 'superhero' mvies folder it gets that tag applied, etc).

I tend to keep going back to Titan Beta as it has a vertical menu, submenus and custom widgets; don't suppose you know what other skins have both custom menu options and a vertical home page do you? Totan Beta looks great but is a little sluggish on my Nvidia Shield TV, plus it rarely closes properly when I quit (it just crashes).

Aeon Nox seems nippy but I doesn't see to have a vertical menu option. I'll chuck Kodi onto my laptop and have a play with it on there, try to get that configured right before I do it on the Shield
Most of the skins will support the custom home menu.

I suggest installing the Aeon Nox Silvo skin temporarily. Then follow the guide which is based on that skin. It is step by step with pics so should be pretty easy.

Hopefully, you then get the result you are after. If you do, you have the base work setup, now it is just a matter of performing the skin mod again on the skin of your choosing. Should be easier second time around.

If you like the vertical menu, then give Transparency! a try as it supports custom nodes also. But many of the new skins are now going for the vertical menus such as Horizon, (fuse)nueue, Grid (i think). Quite a few to choose from.

Some of the skins can be deceiving as they default to horizontal menu, but there is an option for vertical menu in their settings.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Great, thanks. With using a lot of smart playlists the playlists screen gets very filled up, is there a way to have playlists in folders in Kodi? Ie so all playlists relating to the menus, etc go in one folder and then actual playlists go in another?
(2018-03-16, 10:52)Finchy Wrote: is there a way to have playlists in folders in Kodi?
Sorry, that I have never looked into. Maybe others can provide the answer for that.
My Signature
Using Custom Nodes would be the best option I think, see https://kodi.wiki/view/Custom_video_nodes
Thanks, I've had a look at that already but struggled to get my head around it. What is the difference between parent nodes and nodes? Would Movie, TV SHows, Music, etc be a parent node and a node be genres, years, etc and I need to create a parent node for a home menu option? Or am I misunderstanding? 

Re transparency! I can't see it as an option on Kodi 18, presumably doesn't work on it yet
(2018-03-16, 10:52)Finchy Wrote: is there a way to have playlists in folders in Kodi? Ie so all playlists relating to the menus, etc go in one folder and then actual playlists go in another?
 I don't think within Kodi, but in a file manager you can create subfolders within your userdata playlists/video folder and move your smartplaylists into them.  You can traverse the subfolders in the Kodi playlist view node.

You can open the context menu on one of these subfolders and add it to the Kodi "favourites" list, if that is a help for you.

scott s.
Parent nodes do not point to any actual content thus do not have any rules associated with them, they simply exist to provide a hierarchical structure in the UI to navigate to the node that points to the actual content.

So Movies for example does not point directly to any content so it is a Parent node then what sits below such as Genres, Titles etc are the Nodes that have rules that define the content they point to.
(2018-03-17, 01:53)jjd-uk Wrote: Parent nodes do not point to any actual content thus do not have any rules associated with them, they simply exist to provide a hierarchical structure in the UI to navigate to the node that points to the actual content.

So Movies for example does not point directly to any content so it is a Parent node then what sits below such as Genres, Titles etc are the Nodes that have rules that define the content they point to.
OK, so should I just create new normal nodes for the new home menu items then, for example one for movie archive that filters only movies in my movie archive path (which is on another a different NAS) and one for new movies, then hide the main one? Am I understnading it correctly?
(2018-03-17, 01:41)scott967 Wrote:
(2018-03-16, 10:52)Finchy Wrote: is there a way to have playlists in folders in Kodi? Ie so all playlists relating to the menus, etc go in one folder and then actual playlists go in another?
 I don't think within Kodi, but in a file manager you can create subfolders within your userdata playlists/video folder and move your smartplaylists into them.  You can traverse the subfolders in the Kodi playlist view node.

You can open the context menu on one of these subfolders and add it to the Kodi "favourites" list, if that is a help for you.
 Ah, ok, thanks, I'll give that a try, it'd be handy to be able to have all movie and all tv playlists in seperate folders, and then another folder for actual playlists (ie ones that are not for my menu configs, etc/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I limit the movies shown under movies to certain folders?0