Buying a new Smart TV with Kodi in mind
I don't use Kodi often but I am getting ready to purchase a new TV and I would like one that supports Kodi / Android. Is there something in particular that I should be looking for? I figure any TV that runs the Android OS would work just fine but I don't really know. Thanks!
(2019-08-28, 10:04)rmcelwee13 Wrote: I don't use Kodi often but I am getting ready to purchase a new TV and I would like one that supports Kodi / Android. Is there something in particular that I should be looking for? I figure any TV that runs the Android OS would work just fine but I don't really know. Thanks!

Hmmm, I was having a hard time finding info on this but I am now seeing a few threads in this forum. Mods, you can delete my thread if you wish OR you guys can reply if you have comments for me. Thanks!
(2019-08-28, 10:07)rmcelwee13 Wrote:
(2019-08-28, 10:04)rmcelwee13 Wrote: I don't use Kodi often but I am getting ready to purchase a new TV and I would like one that supports Kodi / Android. Is there something in particular that I should be looking for? I figure any TV that runs the Android OS would work just fine but I don't really know. Thanks!

Hmmm, I was having a hard time finding info on this but I am now seeing a few threads in this forum. Mods, you can delete my thread if you wish OR you guys can reply if you have comments for me. Thanks! 

I have a Sony Android TV and it runs Kodi well.

To run Kodi on your TV it needs to be Android, as well as smart. It it isn't Android you will not be able to run Kodi on it.
I must say - just no.
Get a tv screen that meet your demand and then a box next to it to run whatever you need.
Just 4 years ago getting a smart tv was the thing to get, many of those just four years old today are not updated anymore and just suck...
I have an LG tv from 2015 and just use it as a screen today and use a NVIDIA Shield TV to run all my stuff. Knowing that I would do this just four years later would have saved me lots of money in the TV back when... so just no.
The only Smart TV that runs the Android TV Oreo OS out of the box anywhere decently is the new, often expensive 2019 model Sony Bravias that have a much more powerful MediaTek chipset in them these days.

Even then Kodi will not work as well vs using a dedicated media player like an original 2016 Mi Box or Nvidia Shield.

Personally I would use a cheap Android box running the well supported CoreELEC OS, and avoid all the issues with the often troublesome Android OS and Firmware updates completely.

This article is directly relevant:
https://9to5google.com/2019/08/29/androi...s-support/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buying a new Smart TV with Kodi in mind0