• 26(current)
Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition
(2019-09-12, 18:53)fandangos Wrote: I've seen a commit about this months ago about grey subtitles in Kodi.

I highly doubt that something this simple isn't possible with Kodi but I haven't test it myself.

I do use subtitles but English subtitles for English content. Often I can't understand what has been said and English isn't my native language either.

PGS subtitles can't be changed whatsoever but Kodi is really fast to download a replacement with tons of plugins to choose from.
So you can use srt subtitles 99% of the time.

And the best bet would be using grey subtitles with black borders.
A quick Google showed up this answer as a result:

Settings > player settings > language
Switch to expert mode.

This is the place to change subtitle colors, size and font. Not sure about placement.

Yeah I know that you can change subtitle color in Kodi settings. And I already autodl srt subs for all my movies/shows. 
The problem is that I would like to have different colors for sdr and hdr content and that's not possible in Kodi. It would be great if in sdr mode it would use white subtitles and in hdr it would use grey subtitles. The workaround for hdr with an external player enables this as a side effect.
I doubt that will be possible to implement without some serious changes to the code as will need conditions set to check what file is playing and then a 2nd set of options to select which subtitles are used for hdr and set, kodi has been designed with no hdr and the quality of life options that would need

For now you will need to manually change the subtitle each tune you play hdr or sdr
Possible but not even close to something I'm going to look into now. 

Grey subtitles with SDR content are totally fine and also fix the white blowouts while playing HDR content. 

Also, took the day off and I'm home, I'm starting to work with AMD, compiling the first test as I type this. 
And recompiled libbluray 1.1.2 and I hope this fix java issues.
Well, it's much easier to work when you can actually see what is going on, so I'm happy to report that AMD is working just like Nvidia. 
You can use DXVA and Pixel Shader renderers both work with both APIs: NVapi and AGS.

I have recompiled libbluray 1.1.2 and some of it's dependencies, hopefully this fixes any Java related problems. 

Updated the source code with all the commits up to today from Main Kodi (09-13-2019).

Since the problems related here had no relation to FFmpeg I reverted once again to 4.2 from Kodi fork. 

This is finally complete for everyone that has dedicated GPU like AMD and Nvidia with at least hdmi 2.0. 
Enjoy version 2.6.
(2019-09-13, 16:42)fandangos Wrote: This is finally complete for everyone that has dedicated GPU like AMD and Nvidia with at least hdmi 2.0. 
Enjoy version 2.6

I can confirm that it's working on AMD Ryzen 5 2400g. Great work! Thanks!
(2019-09-13, 16:42)fandangos Wrote: Well, it's much easier to work when you can actually see what is going on, so I'm happy to report that AMD is working just like Nvidia. 
You can use DXVA and Pixel Shader renderers both work with both APIs: NVapi and AGS.

I have recompiled libbluray 1.1.2 and some of it's dependencies, hopefully this fixes any Java related problems. 

Updated the source code with all the commits up to today from Main Kodi (09-13-2019).

Since the problems related here had no relation to FFmpeg I reverted once again to 4.2 from Kodi fork. 

This is finally complete for everyone that has dedicated GPU like AMD and Nvidia with at least hdmi 2.0. 
Enjoy version 2.6.

How do I buy you a pint?

Will test soon as possible
Hi Fandangos, just reporting in to say with build 2.6 using dxva as renderer works fine and has solved my stuttering problem an AMD Ryzen 2400g, thanks for all your hard work great job.
Just tried 2.6 today. On my AMD GPU RX460 everything seems to work great so far in my short time testing a few movie files. But on my nvidia gpu a GT1030 everything seems washed out with HDR content. It behaves similar to how 2.5 worked with my AMD GPU where it would trigger HDR mode but the color output was incorrect and everything was washed out. When I play the video and it switches to HDR what would normally be a black screen for the few seconds before the video starts is gray. It seems like its going to HDR mode but not outputting 10-bit color.

This happened with drivers 436.02 then I updated to the latest drivers 436.30. I made sure the colors were all default in the nvidia control panel just make sure that wasn't the problem. I'm sure its something on my end. When I have the time I'll try 2.4 and 2.5 to see if I get the same results. Because it did work on my GT 1030 with version 2.4.

Also i'm able to set my output on my RX 460 to 4:2:0 and everything seemed to work with no issues. This is great for me because if I have it set to 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 my picture flickers because its going through my AVR.

Thank you very much for making this
(2019-09-13, 21:34)rigo8582 Wrote: Just tried 2.6 today. On my AMD GPU RX460 everything seems to work great so far in my short time testing a few movie files. But on my nvidia gpu a GT1030 everything seems washed out with HDR content. It behaves similar to how 2.5 worked with my AMD GPU where it would trigger HDR mode but the color output was incorrect and everything was washed out. When I play the video and it switches to HDR what would normally be a black screen for the few seconds before the video starts is gray. It seems like its going to HDR mode but not outputting 10-bit color.

This happened with drivers 436.02 then I updated to the latest drivers 436.30. I made sure the colors were all default in the nvidia control panel just make sure that wasn't the problem. I'm sure its something on my end. When I have the time I'll try 2.4 and 2.5 to see if I get the same results. Because it did work on my GT 1030 with version 2.4.

Also i'm able to set my output on my RX 460 to 4:2:0 and everything seemed to work with no issues. This is great for me because if I have it set to 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 my picture flickers because its going through my AVR.

Thank you very much for making this
I've tested back with a 1080Ti here and everything is working without any problem with Nvidia. 
And I haven't changed the HDR code for NV in the past few releases, so I think this might be a particular case.

If someone else has a problem with 2.6 I'll look deep into it but, you can see on Github, I have no changed anything related to nvidia code.
From my brief testing with 2.6, I'm having the opposite problem. HDR looks massively overblown with extremely saturated colours. I switched back to 2.5 and the colour output there looks pretty much the same as DSPlayer/MadVR. I'm on a 1080Ti with latest drivers. Is this ffmpeg shinanigans again?

Edit: the long seeking delays are back with 2.6 as well.

edit2: unless this is what HDR should have looked like the whole time and both MadVR and 2.5 aren't doing it right?! The colour saturation does seem a little extreme though.
(2019-09-13, 23:13)beeswax Wrote: From my brief testing with 2.6, I'm having the opposite problem. HDR looks massively overblown with extremely saturated colours. I switched back to 2.5 and the colour output there looks pretty much the same as DSPlayer/MadVR. I'm on a 1080Ti with latest drivers. Is this ffmpeg shinanigans again?

Edit: the long seeking delays are back with 2.6 as well.

edit2: unless this is what HDR should have looked like the whole time and both MadVR and 2.5 aren't doing it right?! The colour saturation does seem a little extreme though.

So here's the deal, AMD needs the HDR metadata exposed to the OS, or the DXVA renderer needs it for proper HDR colors. 
While using Nvidia if that is true it will overblown the colors. 

I'm considering 2 different builds, one for AMD and one for Nvidia. So for now, just use 2.5 for Nvidia and 2.6 for AMD.
java works in 2.6, moving the files to 2.5 still a no go

playback for me on nvidia is a very very dark picture,can just see shadows, if i switch to pixel shader i get a picture
Tested on 2400G and so far looks pretty good.

If I use standard Kodi 0-255 PC colors and set my video card to output RGB 16-235 video levels HDR works properly with both DXVA and Pixel Shader rendering.

If I set Kodi to "use limited color range (16-235) (Systems Settings->Display)" and set my video card to output 0-255 PC levels (with my TV set to video levels 16-235) then I only get the correct output with using Pixel Shader rendering.   If I select DXVA, HDR color is not correct.
Hello!

For those who reported it working on the 2400G AMD APU: Can you tell what motherboards do you have? Curious regarding the viable HDMI 2.0 output. 

Thanks!
(2019-09-14, 06:56)Mount81 Wrote: Hello!

For those who reported it working on the 2400G AMD APU: Can you tell what motherboards do you have? Curious regarding the viable HDMI 2.0 output. 

Thanks!

I use a low end Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H which is an x370 chipset motherboard.
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition9