• 25(current)
WIP Arctic Horizon
(2020-03-20, 05:45)jurialmunkey Wrote:
(2020-03-20, 04:07)Seattle2Nashville Wrote:
(2020-03-20, 00:50)jurialmunkey Wrote: 1. Not possible without SkinHelper which is not really being maintained and I don't want to add since TMDbHelper already achieves most of its functions. I haven't found a way yet to autoclose the osd without the aid of a script.
2. Some ratings options will be coming soon, including the numeric star rating.
3. I always found that landscape view to be too large and bulky. My intention is to have widget views match consistently with the library views, so a larger landscape widget is unlikely to be added. 
@jurialmunkey I have to agree with @mahican I reallyyyyy miss the large landscape widget. It and poster are the only 2 widgets I use in AZ2. If it's about consistency and simplicity, it seems odd that the only 2 widget options for movies and shows are poster (which has no additional text) and small landscape (which has additional info appended to the bottom) It'd be nice to have 2 widget options with no text. I would include banner in that number but, it's semi functioning. It's always pixelated (which I know isn't the fault of the skin), feels super clunky in use and the auto scroll, with no way to disable after setting a time, makes it basically unusable... If theres a file I can modify to add large landscape back, please lmk, I'm more than happy to do that 

It's about consistency with the library viewtypes.
Submenu view matches Base Folder view in library.
Square view matches albums / addons view in library
Landscape view matches episodes / artists view in library
Poster view matches movies / tvshows view in library

I understand the desire to have additional widgets with no text and I've definitely been considering how I might implement some additional styles. The problem is that I want to maintain consistency of vertical height in the widgets. I simply think that landscape widgets look too large with only three per row.

It's a shame that there isn't a standard artwork type with a different aspect like 4:3, as I think that could actually look quite good (i.e. same as landscape is now with 4 items but a full height artwork).

It's not a matter of just enabling some switch to "turn it on" and have the old version. The underlying code has changed significantly in many parts. I'm not interested in providing custom bespoke code for people - it's a complete waste of my time. 

Maybe I'm missing something. If landscape is too large with 3 items per row, how is banner any better with only 1 item per row? "Custom bespoke code"? Someone else has already asked about it and I doubt we're the last..
Search doesn't work as a submenu item
(2020-03-20, 10:03)Seattle2Nashville Wrote:
(2020-03-20, 05:45)jurialmunkey Wrote:
(2020-03-20, 04:07)Seattle2Nashville Wrote: @jurialmunkey I have to agree with @mahican I reallyyyyy miss the large landscape widget. It and poster are the only 2 widgets I use in AZ2. If it's about consistency and simplicity, it seems odd that the only 2 widget options for movies and shows are poster (which has no additional text) and small landscape (which has additional info appended to the bottom) It'd be nice to have 2 widget options with no text. I would include banner in that number but, it's semi functioning. It's always pixelated (which I know isn't the fault of the skin), feels super clunky in use and the auto scroll, with no way to disable after setting a time, makes it basically unusable... If theres a file I can modify to add large landscape back, please lmk, I'm more than happy to do that 

It's about consistency with the library viewtypes.

I understand the desire to have additional widgets with no text and I've definitely been considering how I might implement some additional styles. The problem is that I want to maintain consistency of vertical height in the widgets. I simply think that landscape widgets look too large with only three per row.

It's a shame that there isn't a standard artwork type with a different aspect like 4:3, as I think that could actually look quite good (i.e. same as landscape is now with 4 items but a full height artwork).

It's not a matter of just enabling some switch to "turn it on" and have the old version. The underlying code has changed significantly in many parts. I'm not interested in providing custom bespoke code for people - it's a complete waste of my time. 

Maybe I'm missing something. If landscape is too large with 3 items per row, how is banner any better with only 1 item per row? "Custom bespoke code"? Someone else has already asked about it and I doubt we're the last..

You literally said " If theres a file I can modify to add large landscape back, please lmk, I'm more than happy to do that". Which basically means "please code this for me and I'll copy paste it" -- I am simply not interested in making custom mods for people.

I don't like the look of the landscape items being that large - that is my preference. Banner widget serves a completely different purpose to landscape widgets - which is why banner autoscrolls and other widgets don't. The banner is meant as a showcase of a single item - landscape is intended for displaying episodes.

I don't care if some people want a feature. I've constantly said in this thread that my reason for creating Arctic Horizon is that with AZ2 I tried to accommodate too many requests from users and it ended up as this horrible frankenstein skin that started to lack a clear design. So much of this thread has been dedicated to this exact point. I'm happy to take requests with clearly laid out rationales but people also have to accept that I'm going to reject some ideas, particularly if they are just rehashes of AZ2 -- If I removed it, I removed it for a reason.

If you prefer AZ2 then use AZ2... it's not that difficult.
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
(2020-03-20, 10:14)hacky4real Wrote: Search doesn't work as a submenu item

Just in the hub? I'm aware of that - currently looking for a solution.
(2020-03-20, 10:17)jurialmunkey Wrote:
(2020-03-20, 05:45)jurialmunkey Wrote: It's about consistency with the library viewtypes.

You literally said " If theres a file I can modify to add large landscape back, please lmk, I'm more than happy to do that". Which basically means "please code this for me and I'll copy paste it" -- I am simply not interested in making custom mods for people.

I don't like the look of the landscape items being that large - that is my preference. Banner widget serves a completely different purpose to landscape widgets - which is why banner autoscrolls and other widgets don't. The banner is meant as a showcase of a single item - landscape is intended for displaying episodes.

I don't care if some people want a feature. I've constantly said in this thread that my reason for creating Arctic Horizon is that with AZ2 I tried to accommodate too many requests from users and it ended up as this horrible frankenstein skin that started to lack a clear design. So much of this thread has been dedicated to this exact point. I'm happy to take requests with clearly laid out rationales but people also have to accept that I'm going to reject some ideas, particularly if they are just rehashes of AZ2 -- If I removed it, I removed it for a reason.

@jurialmunkey stick to your guns. So many options in your other skins I think it is refreshing your are making one for you 👍. Keep up the good work and stay safe in these difficult times.
(2020-03-20, 06:41)jurialmunkey Wrote: @YamYam - I've also added an option for plot autoscroll
Skin Settings > Library > Autoscroll Plot 

I don't have any actual Library data, but using addons (specifically Composite) the plot on addon content, widgets & tmdb helper doesn't seem to auto-scroll using 0.1.24?
(2020-03-20, 10:36)FXB78 Wrote:
(2020-03-20, 06:41)jurialmunkey Wrote: @YamYam - I've also added an option for plot autoscroll
Skin Settings > Library > Autoscroll Plot 

I don't have any actual Library data, but using addons (specifically Composite) the plot on addon content, widgets & tmdb helper doesn't seem to auto-scroll using 0.1.24?

Ah yep you're right! I forgot to merge a commit from the branch I was working on. I think it should be working now.
(2020-03-20, 11:10)jurialmunkey Wrote: Ah yep you're right! I forgot to merge a commit from the branch I was working on. I think it should be working now. 

Thanks, I updated to 0.1.25 & now it auto-scrolls but only on Movie content from inside the addon. Movies in Widgets & tmdb helper don't seem to scroll, and TV Shows don't scroll at all on any section.

On a related note do you think the whole top section could be moved up slightly to accomodate 2x lines of Plot for TV Shows which would in turn give 3 lines for Movies. A single line for TV Shows in particular doesn't really give enough room to display much whereas two would cover the whole plot in most cases.
Awesome skin @jurialmunkey, thank you for sharing your work. I’m interested in your take on how the kodi tvguide currently works (which looks beautiful in AH by the way), requiring two presses of the back button in order to close the guide and return to fullscreen livetv?
Would you see any value/issues in having a single press of the back button close the guide and return to fullscreen livetv/video? This is current behaviour for the tvchannels window for example, which can be closed either as an on/off toggle or using the Back command.

I’ve played around with keyboard.xml keymaps as a work around (e.g. Fullscreen on exiting tvguide window) but this is not consistent across video playing/not playing.

If it’s not possible or you don’t see any value in this, that’s cool.

Thanks.
In progress movies widget not playing
(2020-03-20, 11:35)FXB78 Wrote:
(2020-03-20, 11:10)jurialmunkey Wrote: Ah yep you're right! I forgot to merge a commit from the branch I was working on. I think it should be working now. 

Thanks, I updated to 0.1.25 & now it auto-scrolls but only on Movie content from inside the addon. Movies in Widgets & tmdb helper don't seem to scroll, and TV Shows don't scroll at all on any section.

On a related note do you think the whole top section could be moved up slightly to accomodate 2x lines of Plot for TV Shows which would in turn give 3 lines for Movies. A single line for TV Shows in particular doesn't really give enough room to display much whereas two would cover the whole plot in most cases.

I'll have a proper look at the plot scrolling issues tomorrow. Not sure why it isn't scrolling in some places.

No the top section can't be moved up. The skin adheres to a very strict 40px grid:

Main design specs are:
80px padding from screen edges.
40px header then another 80px padding to content.
Content split into even top and bottom sections of 400px
320px high poster/landscape items, with 40px itemgap
80px hint label trough above posters/landscape items.
Buttons sit 40px above center line
Clearart is bottom right aligned in a 320px high bounding box.
Main menu on home is 160px wide.
All list items are 80px high.
(2020-03-20, 12:28)Tariq77 Wrote: Awesome skin @jurialmunkey, thank you for sharing your work. I’m interested in your take on how the kodi tvguide currently works (which looks beautiful in AH by the way), requiring two presses of the back button in order to close the guide and return to fullscreen livetv?
Would you see any value/issues in having a single press of the back button close the guide and return to fullscreen livetv/video? This is current behaviour for the tvchannels window for example, which can be closed either as an on/off toggle or using the Back command.

I’ve played around with keyboard.xml keymaps as a work around (e.g. Fullscreen on exiting tvguide window) but this is not consistent across video playing/not playing.

If it’s not possible or you don’t see any value in this, that’s cool.

Thanks.

The LiveTV navigation does need a bit of work.

I'm assuming you mean because one back press takes you to the home screen first rather than straight back to fullscreen. The problem is that with one press you get stuck in a loop if you opened live tv from the epg because back from fullscreen will take you to epg and back again will just take you back to fullscreen -- there would be no way to get out of the loop with a simple remote other than stopping playback. If you can think of a sensible solution, then I'm all ears as I do agree that going straight back to fullscreen feels more natural.

The TVChannels side menu is different because that is specifically only available in fullscreen playback (plus it is a dialog not a window).
(2020-03-20, 10:17)jurialmunkey Wrote:
(2020-03-20, 05:45)jurialmunkey Wrote: It's about consistency with the library viewtypes.

I 100% prefer AH, it's just one widget on the home screen.

As far as "clearly laid rationales" You said,

"It's about consistency with the library viewtypes.
Poster view matches movies / tvshows view in library"
Banner view matches? nothing / nothing
(2020-03-19, 22:28)drinfernoo Wrote:
(2020-03-19, 21:59)popcornemil Wrote: Nice work jurialmunkey. I love this setup! 

And a somewhat (maybe unrelated) question. 

If i use TMDB Helpers widget "Recommended for you", is it possible to just see my local movies stored on my disks? 

Best Regards
Popcornemil

You could probably use one of the sections from Skin Helper Service Widgets for that. 
Thanks!
(2020-03-20, 18:20)Seattle2Nashville Wrote: Banner view matches? nothing / nothing 

It's already been explained to you...
"The banner is meant as a showcase of a single item"

Your posts are very disrespectful to the guy who's spending countless hours developing this skin for all our benefit, if he doesn't want to add what you want then just deal with it or fork the skin and make your own modifications.
  • 25(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Arctic Horizon7