nVidia Shield TV "tube" version (2019)
Hi, I was buying the new nVidia Shield TV 2019 "tube" version for watching videos via Kodi (and Plex) from a NAS QNAP. But I read that this tube version doesn't allow to set Plex server (like the big brother Pro version) and also has issues in streaming videos, stuttering, lag, etc. And this could be cause by the 32bit. Someone says the Pro version solves all the problems.

Is it true? How is the situation now, any software upgrades that solves? Finally what device you advice?
Thanks
I got one when they first released and it couldn't handle 4k videos. It only has 2GB RAM whereas the Pro has 3GB.
(2020-04-14, 22:01)Hitcher Wrote: I got one when they first released and it couldn't handle 4k videos. It only has 2GB RAM whereas the Pro has 3GB.

Then except for 4k videos the tube one works really well? Kodi, Plex transcoding, ...?
(2020-04-14, 22:01)Hitcher Wrote: I got one when they first released and it couldn't handle 4k videos. It only has 2GB RAM whereas the Pro has 3GB.

Couldn't handle 4k videos how? via Kodi? I have heard the opposite, that it performs perfectly fine for UHD playback over kodi. 

OP you are correct there will be no plex server installing on the tube, so if you need that capability you must buy the pro or the 2017 model.
(2020-04-15, 00:01)lightsout Wrote: Couldn't handle 4k videos how?
Playing them would just cause Kodi to die and I'd get booted back to the Shield main menu.
(2020-04-15, 00:01)lightsout Wrote: OP you are correct there will be no plex server installing on the tube, so if you need that capability you must buy the pro or the 2017 model. 

For plex server is just meant plugging a USB drive to the Shield Pro and play videos from that, through Plex?
My case is: I have videos on a NAS and just need to navigate them and play. This could be done simply via Kodi or is preferred via Plex?
In any case I have to setup some kind of server in the NAS?
(2020-04-15, 10:19)dornie Wrote:
(2020-04-15, 00:01)lightsout Wrote: OP you are correct there will be no plex server installing on the tube, so if you need that capability you must buy the pro or the 2017 model. 

For plex server is just meant plugging a USB drive to the Shield Pro and play videos from that, through Plex?
My case is: I have videos on a NAS and just need to navigate them and play. This could be done simply via Kodi or is preferred via Plex?
In any case I have to setup some kind of server in the NAS? 

You can just mount the nas share in kodi and play the files no need for plex if you don't care about streaming to other devices. Though if that's all you want the shield for you can get better and cheaper kodi devices. If you want plex server then go for the shield pro. I wouldn't recommend the tube to anyone as nvidia made the stupid decision of just using 2gb ram and use 32 bit android in tube that  in my opinion cripples the device.
(2020-04-15, 12:21)DNKK Wrote: You can just mount the nas share in kodi and play the files no need for plex if you don't care about streaming to other devices. Though if that's all you want the shield for you can get better and cheaper kodi devices. If you want plex server then go for the shield pro. I wouldn't recommend the tube to anyone as nvidia made the stupid decision of just using 2gb ram and use 32 bit android in tube that  in my opinion cripples the device. 

Hi, thanks for explanation. Yes, for sure I don't need to stream to other devices, just on home TV. And using Netflix, Amazon Prime, eventually other apps.
But Kodi offers an user interface like the Plex one or what I'll see is just a files list like a file manager?
What would be the better and cheaper devices for just using Kodi?

I was watching to Shield because I read everywhere that with that you go secure: powerful, supported, easy, and so on. It costs more of others, yes, but if it's true what I read I'm ready to spend more. In any case, following your advice, I'd discard the tube in place of Pro.
Hey. You already have a nas server so all you need is a device to play the files which will be served from the nas. If you want netflix and prime etc and want to watch in full hd and 4k they require a certified android tv os / firetv os or apple tv box.
The Amazon firetv stick 4k is a good option but for higher bitrate content streaming over network your'e gonna need to get a ethernet usb hub from here and a micro usb splitter cable from here.
The nvidia shield 2019 pro will do it all well but has quite a pricetag. Also the shield 2015/17 are also an option.
There is also the new Amazon firetv cube 4k but i wouldn't recommend this device as i had one and it was always freezing i had to constantly restart device and apps sometimes would not open without a restart. 
My current device for kodi and netflix etc is the firestick 4k and i cant fault it, the device does all i need, i was in the market for a new nvidia shield pro 2019 but i'm gonna stick with the firestick for now.
There is also a version of kodi for the firestick by fritsch that fixes audio delay problems.
(2020-04-15, 15:12)Avds Wrote: Hey. You already have a nas server so all you need is a device to play the files which will be served from the nas. If you want netflix and prime etc and want to watch in full hd and 4k they require a certified android tv os / firetv os or apple tv box.
The Amazon firetv stick 4k is a good option but for higher bitrate content streaming over network your'e gonna need to get a ethernet usb hub from here and a micro usb splitter cable from here.
The nvidia shield 2019 pro will do it all well but has quite a pricetag. Also the shield 2015/17 are also an option.
There is also the new Amazon firetv cube 4k but i wouldn't recommend this device as i had one and it was always freezing i had to constantly restart device and apps sometimes would not open without a restart. 
My current device for kodi and netflix etc is the firestick 4k and i cant fault it, the device does all i need, i was in the market for a new nvidia shield pro 2019 but i'm gonna stick with the firestick for now.
There is also a version of kodi for the firestick by fritsch that fixes audio delay problems.

Notice: I already have a QNAP NAS with Plex but I started to look for a TV Box because the NAS is very slow to transcoding and video streaming has lags-freezes and often stucks, so I absolutely need a TV Box with performance. So I thought to pick the Shield to definitely avoid any problems. Firestick or other assures me this?
I have a raspberry pi 3b+ connected to home network via ethernet with libreelec installed connected to my external usb hard drive which acts as a file server to my firestick 4k which I use to watch kodi on. I only stream 1080p files and it does this with ease.
Do you still need a nas or are you going to be connecting your nas drives direct to your new device?
The shield is hands down the best android box if you have the money I would get that, I was just trying to offer cheaper alternatives. Because you want Netflix and prime it does narrow the choices down.

Or a cheaper alternative get the firestick 4k for Netflix and prime then get a dedicated box for kodi? Maybe a cheap android box then can put libreelec or coreelec on.
@Avds I actually have the NAS (QNAP TS-253Be 2GB RAM, with Plex) connected to the Wifi router and a Chromecast to the TV. Using the smartphone to control Plex I streams videos from NAS to the Chromecast->TV. I have the serious problems explained before also by reducing drastically the streaming quality in Plex.

I still need the NAS and use its drives.

I prefer to have a single TV Box to handle all. Firestick 4k hasn't ethernet port, which now I consider important to maximize the transmission. Am I wrong?
Is money a big factor?

In germany you have to pay 20€ more to get the Apple TV 4K instead of shield tv.

Install MrMC (KODI Fork) or use the Plex App on Apple TV 4K and you will be happy:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=335219
TV: Metz Novum 55 OLED Made in Germany | UHD BD Player: Sony UBP-X700 | Streaming Player: Apple TV 4K (2. Gen), Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), Xiaomi Mi Box 3
You can get a usb Ethernet hub for firestick check my earlier post for the links.
Just depends how much ya wanna spend?
Was just about to mention Apple tv 4k or shield are ya best options.
(2020-04-16, 11:06)shrugg1e Wrote: Is money a big factor?

In germany you have to pay 20€ more to get the Apple TV 4K instead of shield tv.

Install MrMC (KODI Fork) or use the Plex App on Apple TV 4K and you will be happy:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=335219

You sure ? Ahh sorry we are in a Shield - Tube - thread....

32Gb Apple TV 4K = 199,00 €:

64Gb Apple TV 4K = 219,00 €:
https://www.apple.com/de/shop/buy-tv/apple-tv-4k

16GB 2019 Nvidia Shield TV Pro = 219,00 €:
https://www.nvidia.com/de-de/shield/

Why is Nvidia charging so much for eMMC Storage ?

Infuse (ATV 4K only) or MrMC App hooked into a Plex networked database = damn easy to do for newbies too. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV "tube" version (2019)0