• 197(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
If you're satisfied I wouldn't upgrade. My mi box 3 auto updated without asking and I really wish it hadn't. I also I'm not really sure rolling back is feasible in those boxes.
(2020-04-29, 20:30)dm12 Wrote:
(2020-04-29, 12:48)p750mmx Wrote:
(2020-04-29, 05:55)dm12 Wrote: My MiBox S came with Android 8.1. Should I update it to 9.0?
Do you think you have a reason for the upgrade? Missing something with 8.1 that you will get with ATV9?  
Not really because it's my first time using ATV in general. But maybe the update made some speed improvements or something like that. Guess I would stick with what it works then. Ty 
I have a version with ATV8.1 and one with ATV9, and with the latest final update for ATV9, that came out a few weeks ago it, the ATV9 version is quite good. Before that it was quite hopeless with ATV9.
But if you do nothing with Amazon Prime Video (which doesn't has a stable APK version for ATV8.1 on the Mi Box S), then there still is no real reason for the upgrade (my opinion)
I disabled the update notice on ATV8.1 so that I don't update accidentally Wink
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2020-04-29, 20:49)p750mmx Wrote: (...) But if you do nothing with Amazon Prime Video (which doesn't has a stable APK version for ATV8.1 on the Mi Box S), then there still is no real reason for the upgrade (my opinion) (...)

@p750mmx try the latest version of Amazon Prime Video (article in Brazilian Portuguese):

https://docbr.me/prime-video-docbr
With Android TV 9 you can get DD converted from DD+ audio directly in the Netflix app, not needing to use the Kodi add-on.
(2020-04-30, 00:06)DoctorBR Wrote:
(2020-04-29, 20:49)p750mmx Wrote: (...) But if you do nothing with Amazon Prime Video (which doesn't has a stable APK version for ATV8.1 on the Mi Box S), then there still is no real reason for the upgrade (my opinion) (...)

@p750mmx try the latest version of Amazon Prime Video (article in Brazilian Portuguese):

https://docbr.me/prime-video-docbr 
Have you used that APK? I would like to know it doesn't have malware or something in it.
(2020-04-30, 01:55)ByteShare Wrote: Have you used that APK? I would like to know it doesn't have malware or something in it.

@ByteShare, do not worry! The APK is original and is clean. Look:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/8282.../detection

I always check and test all APKs before sharing on the page.
Meanwhile are there any Workarounds for the annoying "Laggy/slow after wakeup"-Bug instead of rebooting the Box?

(Mi Box 3 - not S Modell!)
TV: Metz Novum 55 OLED Made in Germany | UHD BD Player: Sony UBP-X700 | Streaming Player: Apple TV 4K (2. Gen), Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), Xiaomi Mi Box 3
(2020-04-27, 14:44)Messatsu Wrote: Hi everyone.

Are you guys noticing (like me) that MiBox 3 struggles a bit with huge files (4k HDR Bluray Remux, ~80000 kbps) with Kodi ?

I'm starting to consider to replace it with another box...

Thanks for your help.
Are you using a USB stick/HDD perhaps? Cos with wifi (even 5Ghz) and plexkodiconnect I am struggling with lower bitrate files already. At least when using DTS-HD/Dolby-HD. With DD+ audio tracks the performance is better usually. But all these seem to be pretty random. I figure it is cos of the wifi.
(2020-04-30, 09:37)shrugg1e Wrote: Meanwhile are there any Workarounds for the annoying "Laggy/slow after wakeup"-Bug instead of rebooting the Box?

(Mi Box 3 - not S Modell!)
So far what I have gathered is that you just leave the box on all the time or use some sort of power plug adapter that has timer which turns the box on and off every now and then.
(2020-02-22, 19:34)SWADED Wrote:
(2020-02-21, 08:21)Guilles Wrote: Was there some known issue that Mi Box (oldie one) does not always change the resolution and refresh rate correctly? Every now and then (usually once a day at least) I have to restart Kodi so that I get autorefresh rate working again. Otherwise the box just outputs to TV whatever is the resolution in the mi box android settings e.g 720p60 or whatnot when the actual video is 1080p24 ---> stuttering cos of the 3:2 pulldown. After restart I get "normal" 2160p24.
I remember that there was talk about that mi box will force upscale stuff to 4K, which is kinda a shame...

Refresh rate works. Resolution doesn't work, like you said it always outputs 4k. I just leave it on 1080/24p and with the rare 60p movie I got, I manually switch it to 1080/60p. 
This is kind of a workaround but I watch mixed bag of 1080p and 2160p material so I would have to manually change the resolution every now and then cos with 1080/24p setting all 4K material gets first downscaled by mibox and then upscaled by TV --> issues with picture quality
(2020-04-30, 14:43)Guilles Wrote:
(2020-04-27, 14:44)Messatsu Wrote: Hi everyone.

Are you guys noticing (like me) that MiBox 3 struggles a bit with huge files (4k HDR Bluray Remux, ~80000 kbps) with Kodi ?

I'm starting to consider to replace it with another box...

Thanks for your help.
Are you using a USB stick/HDD perhaps? Cos with wifi (even 5Ghz) and plexkodiconnect I am struggling with lower bitrate files already. At least when using DTS-HD/Dolby-HD. With DD+ audio tracks the performance is better usually. But all these seem to be pretty random. I figure it is cos of the wifi.
I play my files from my NAS Synology DS716ii+, all with RJ45 Sad
I just acquired an original mi box 3(not S) and am testing out its capabilities. Connection is mi box -> (hdmi in)yamaha yas-107 soundbar-> (hdmi arc)TV (LG 55uj6300). So far I have:
1) 4k hdr playback (24 and 60 fps) using kodi with both 5.1 pcm (for HD audio) and DD and DTS passthrough and frame rate switching.  My soundbar is only DD and DTS capable. Trying to play a HLG stream messes it up to where I need a reboot. Is this normal?
2) netflix 4k hdr playback (from the app and casting)
3) youtube HDR via casting but not through the smart youtube wrapper. Do I need any special settings for the smart youtube app? I am using the latest stable release.
4) google play movies cannot do 4k hdr. Is there any way around this?

Still need to try out the amazon prime app, but compared to what I get through the built-in apps on my LG webos TV the only advantage I see is HD audio passthrough/decode to the soundbar which obviously can't be carried over ARC. Although the TV does convert 5.1 DD+ (from netflix and amazon) to HD and sends it over ARC to the soundbar.  The mi box won't do that (since soundbar is not DD+ capable
(2020-05-01, 17:09)viplob Wrote: I just acquired an original mi box 3(not S) and am testing out its capabilities. Connection is mi box -> (hdmi in)yamaha yas-107 soundbar-> (hdmi arc)TV (LG 55uj6300). So far I have:
1) 4k hdr playback (24 and 60 fps) using kodi with both 5.1 pcm (for HD audio) and DD and DTS passthrough and frame rate switching.  My soundbar is only DD and DTS capable. Trying to play a HLG stream messes it up to where I need a reboot. Is this normal?
2) netflix 4k hdr playback (from the app and casting)
3) youtube HDR via casting but not through the smart youtube wrapper. Do I need any special settings for the smart youtube app? I am using the latest stable release.
4) google play movies cannot do 4k hdr. Is there any way around this?

Still need to try out the amazon prime app, but compared to what I get through the built-in apps on my LG webos TV the only advantage I see is HD audio passthrough/decode to the soundbar which obviously can't be carried over ARC. Although the TV does convert 5.1 DD+ (from netflix and amazon) to HD and sends it over ARC to the soundbar.  The mi box won't do that (since soundbar is not DD+ capable

Ok figured out the smart youtube issue. needed to pick the stream through the quality setting during playback.  Started using the highest quality after that.  Purchased videos still won't play and casting doesn't pick the hdr version.
Hi all,

I'm on the verge of buying the Mi Box S, but have some questions which i find contradicting info online.

1. Does Netflix work in 4k? - I presume it does.
2. Does Atmos work in Netflix? - This is what i'm really after.

I see Android 9 was realeased, so I'm not sure if that took care of these.
(2020-05-04, 11:41)shblamy Wrote: Hi all,

I'm on the verge of buying the Mi Box S, but have some questions which i find contradicting info online.

1. Does Netflix work in 4k? - I presume it does.
2. Does Atmos work in Netflix? - This is what i'm really after.

I see Android 9 was realeased, so I'm not sure if that took care of these.
I own the non-S model but I am pretty sure that:
1) Yes
2) Kinda, if you use the Netflix Addon for Kodi and run Netflix thru Kodi. Otherwise no mi box model is able to play atmos with netflix.
  • 197(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21