• 4(current)
Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
(2020-10-02, 16:00)Skank Wrote:
(2020-10-02, 15:45)RockerC Wrote:
(2020-10-02, 12:37)Skank Wrote: Does shield do that one frontend to rule them all? too?

Nope.

First have to wait until if and when Google releases this new "Google TV" launcher/UI to third-parties, and then wait until if and when Nvidia upgrade existing Nvidia Sheild TVs to Android 10 and the new "Google TV" launcher/UI.

Who knows, maybe Google has released Android TV 11 by then as Google released Android 10 for Android TV in December last year but Nvidia has still not released an upgrade of Android TV 10 for Nvidia Sheild TVs.

Still amazed that Nvidia still makes upgrade releases for the original Nvidia Shield TV which is over 5-years old now. Though the last update was still based on Android TV 9, see https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2020/08/26...pgrade-25/

Personally, I'm hoping an update to Android TV 10 for Nvidia Sheild TV will at least bring support for Switch SNES Controller (as well as the Switch Pro Controllers), plus support for PS4 Remote Play with the Nvidia Shield TV Controller.

https://store.nintendo.com/super-nintend...oller.html
Look at the post from hdmkv
The new ui is downloadable from store..
That does not change that Nvidia will probably first need Google's permission to officially use that new launcher on the Nvidia Sheild TV series.

You can not simply download that apk and launch it like any other standalone app. You need to replace your existing LauncherX on your Android TV box. 

You can probably replace LauncherX yourself via ADB (Android Debug Bridge) but then you will likely lose any Nvidia specific modifications(?).
(2020-10-02, 16:09)RockerC Wrote:
(2020-10-02, 16:00)Skank Wrote:
(2020-10-02, 15:45)RockerC Wrote: Nope.

First have to wait until if and when Google releases this new "Google TV" launcher/UI to third-parties, and then wait until if and when Nvidia upgrade existing Nvidia Sheild TVs to Android 10 and the new "Google TV" launcher/UI.

Who knows, maybe Google has released Android TV 11 by then as Google released Android 10 for Android TV in December last year but Nvidia has still not released an upgrade of Android TV 10 for Nvidia Sheild TVs.

Still amazed that Nvidia still makes upgrade releases for the original Nvidia Shield TV which is over 5-years old now. Though the last update was still based on Android TV 9, see https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2020/08/26...pgrade-25/

Personally, I'm hoping an update to Android TV 10 for Nvidia Sheild TV will at least bring support for Switch SNES Controller (as well as the Switch Pro Controllers), plus support for PS4 Remote Play with the Nvidia Shield TV Controller.

https://store.nintendo.com/super-nintend...oller.html
Look at the post from hdmkv
The new ui is downloadable from store..
That does not change that Nvidia will probably first need Google's permission to officially use that new launcher on the Nvidia Sheild TV series.

You can not simply download that apk and launch it like any other standalone app. You need to replace your existing LauncherX on your Android TV box. 

You can probably replace LauncherX yourself via ADB (Android Debug Bridge) but then you will likely lose any Nvidia specific modifications(?).

Google does aparently have plans to upgrade eligible Android TV devices to the new "Google TV" experience at some point down the line:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/09/30...confusing/

This can indeed be confusing.
(2020-10-01, 02:23)MrCrispy Wrote:  
  • No automatic refresh rate switching

Can someone else confirm that Chromecast with Google TV doesn't support autoframerate in Kodi?
(2020-10-02, 18:16)Kyr18 Wrote:
(2020-10-01, 02:23)MrCrispy Wrote:  
  • No automatic refresh rate switching

Can someone else confirm that Chromecast with Google TV doesn't support autoframerate in Kodi?
It's been confirmed from other people on avs
Testing later this evening into the weekend Smile

Cool, pls make a comparison to shield
Maybe it's worth $50 but is it worth almost €70?

What else is similarly priced?
https://9to5google.com/2020/10/02/google...ndroid-tv/
(2020-10-02, 19:31)hdmkv Wrote: Testing later this evening into the weekend Smile

Please don't forget the kodi.log preferrably with kodi v19. Curious which formats they support and I log that better there. Thanks much.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-10-02, 20:15)komplex Wrote: Maybe it's worth $50 but is it worth almost €70?

What else is similarly priced?
It depends what you want from it, you could get an Ugoos X3 Cube/Pro for similar but I don't think they support things like 4K Netflix. Purely for Kodi an Ugoos with CoreELEC is an excellent choice with a budget price tag.
(2020-10-02, 19:31)hdmkv Wrote: Testing later this evening into the weekend Smile

Bring it on, curious to see how it handles local UHD media, any word on decoding TrueHD or DTS-MA. HD Audio kills UHD remuxes on Plex and Emby because they have to be transcoded and then lose HDR. I believe the same through Kodi.

Hahaha, couldn't resist, huh........   Looking forward to your review.........
I am guessing that is does NOT passthrough the HD audio codes. 
More importantly, all of these Amlogic devices say that they support the Microsoft VC-1 video codec but they do not.  So, I have a lot of BlueRay rips that are encode with the VC-1 codec, and they are not playable on these devices...........
(2020-10-02, 16:00)RockerC Wrote: Really confusing for sure!

(2020-10-02, 16:46)RockerC Wrote: This can indeed be confusing.

And yet people still think that kodi is confusing and complicated... Huh Big Grin

I'm open minded and flexible regarding the benefits of one device compared to another but I still think I'll be sticking with Kodi as the front end to be able to adapt my look, feel, location variables, and content sources to be 'just right' for me and my use case.

And that's the thing, everyone's use case is slighly different - or even vastly different.
Kodi accomodates that, whereas most of the off the shelf options only do so in a very limited way.

Nod
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
Google TV launcher on Shield TV done. Think I'm passing on this for now.
(2020-10-03, 02:51)hdmkv Wrote: Google TV launcher on Shield TV done. Think I'm passing on this for now.

Did you drop the new Chromecast in the bath or something?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI0