some ogg files play, others do not
hi, 
new install here. I have a Kodi frontend on an android TV. I am accessing my music collection via smb:

As stated, some ogg files play and others do not. 
The ones that do play, have a slight echo, as though they are playing in a tunnel. The same files sound fine when I play them in an ordinary media player on the backend machine. 

I have searched the forum but not found anyone with this problem. What should I look at? 
Thanks
Could you provide a Debug Log which captures you playing some ogg files. Ones that don't work and others that work with the echo.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-10-22, 00:55)Karellen Wrote: Could you provide a Debug Log which captures you playing some ogg files. Ones that don't work and others that work with the echo.

Done. I pasted my log to https://paste.kodi.tv/xudayofopi

Kodi plays only two of the 12 or so songs on the album, always the same two.
Looks like the files it can't play are corrupted or at least have bad data in them.

xml:
2020-10-21 19:53:14.197 T:31450 ERROR: ffmpeg[8C501970]: [ogg] Header processing failed: Invalid data found when processing input

Given your username, I'd suggest running ogginfo against several of the bad files and at least one known good one and see what the difference is.  If they play in something else it might be worth running them through oggenc again.  If you don't have those installed then they are part of vorbis-tools.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Sad 
(2020-10-22, 13:43)black_eagle Wrote: Looks like the files it can't play are corrupted or at least have bad data in them.

xml:
2020-10-21 19:53:14.197 T:31450 ERROR: ffmpeg[8C501970]: [ogg] Header processing failed: Invalid data found when processing input

Given your username, I'd suggest running ogginfo against several of the bad files and at least one known good one and see what the difference is.  If they play in something else it might be worth running them through oggenc again.  If you don't have those installed then they are part of vorbis-tools.

Thanks. Sure enough, the bad files have the following error from ogginfo:
Code:
WARNING: Vorbis stream 1 does not have headers correctly framed. Terminal header page contains additional packets or has non-zero granulepos
They play fine in Clementine, but i guess I will need to re-encode them. A bit of a bummer because I imagine this problem is an artifact of prior music players I used that saved tags. It probably infects my library through and through.
Give this a try... https://picard.musicbrainz.org/
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-10-22, 21:06)Karellen Wrote: Give this a try... https://picard.musicbrainz.org/
Thank you, that looks very promising, I will try it.
As for the files that DO work, but that play with a slight echo, do my logs give any clues? I tried googling “ffmpeg distortion echo” but that doesn’t seem to be a thing.
Forgot to mention, when you use Picard, also add the settings as shown in sect 4.2 & 4.3 here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_tagging#Tagging

As for the echo, daveblake or black_eagle might be able to assist. I see you playing 05. Send In the Clowns.ogg, but there are no associated errors with playback, apart from unrecognised tags.
My Signature
(2020-10-22, 22:20)linuxgrrl Wrote: As for the files that DO work, but that play with a slight echo, do my logs give any clues? I tried googling “ffmpeg distortion echo” but that doesn’t seem to be a thing.

My first thought is that it might be Android related, but I really don't know anything about the internals of the audio player.  However, @fritsch might be able to offer some insight here.
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
some ogg files play, others do not0