• 24(current)
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision
I would rather use a full disc remux to test this.

Ok, I can't make the problem disappear.
I'll try to provide a bug report to nvidia..

Meanwhile what I'm trying to do and think it's quite possible is just stop the playback if it would not work, so you could just press again and play.

I'm trying to figure out a way to call a stop function from android media codec, once I figure this out this could be a temporary fix until nvidia does it.
I made some further tests. But this time with real movies.

1st test with Kodi default settings (changed nothing since my last tests)

P7FEL-23.976-AC3.mkv
  • reset HDMI, started the P7FEL file, played it 30secs, stopped it, waited 30secs,
  • restarted the P7FEL file, but the start failed
It was possible to play the file once before failure (spinning wheel), even though it was a real movie.

P7MEL-23.976-AC3.mkv
  • reset HDMI, started the P7MEL file, played it 30secs, stopped it, waited 30secs,
  • restarted the P7MEL file, played it 30secs, stopped it, waited 30secs,
  • repeated the test with the same file, until it failed...
It was possible to play the file 3 times before failure (spinning wheel).

P7MEL-59.940-TrueHD.mkv
  • reset HDMI, started the P7MEL file, played it 30secs, stopped it, waited 30secs,
It was possible to play the file 2 times before failure (spinning wheel).

P7FEL-23.976.mkv / P7MEL-23.976.mkv alternately
  • started the P7FEL file, played it 30secs, stopped it, waited 30secs,
  • started the P7MEL file, played it 30secs, stopped it, waited 30secs
  • repeated the test, until it failed...
It was possible to play the files 3 times before failure (spinning wheel).

P7FEL-23.976.mkv / P7MEL-23.976.mkv alternately with adjust display refresh rate on start / stop active, with 3.5secs refresh rate delay and with whitelist active
It was possible to play the files 8 times before failure (spinning wheel).

P7FEL-23.976.mkv / P7MEL-23.976.mkv alternately with adjust display refresh rate on start / stop active, with 3.5secs refresh rate delay, with whitelist active and audio passthrough configured
It was possible to play the files 4 times before failure (spinning wheel).

Hm... what happend? This are not the results I expected.

2nd test with Kodi default settings
  • deinstalled your Kodi build
  • installed your Kodi build
  • rebooted the shield

P7FEL-23.976-AC3.mkv
  • closed open Kodi windows from Android Task Manager
  • reset HDMI, started the P7FEL file, played it 30secs, stopped it, waited 30secs,
  • restarted the P7FEL file, but the start failed
It was possible to play the file 8 times before failure (spinning wheel).

P7MEL-23.976-AC3.mkv
It was possible to play the file 6 times before failure (spinning wheel).

P7MEL-59.940-TrueHD.mkv
It was possible to play the file 10 times before failure (spinning wheel).

P7FEL-23.976.mkv / P7MEL-23.976.mkv alternately
It was possible to play the files 30 times without failure. But the test procedure is sooo boring. I stopped here and documented it as successful... Wink

P7FEL-23.976.mkv / P7MEL-23.976.mkv alternately with adjust display refresh rate on start / stop active, with 3.5secs refresh rate delay, with audio passthrough configured and whitelist not configured
It was possible to play the files 8 times before failure (spinning wheel).

Conclusion

It’s still some kind of sporadic and there is seemingly no difference between the test files and real movies. Sadly, I can’t find a reproducability. Sad

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
(2021-01-10, 23:34)fandangos Wrote: I would rather use a full disc remux to test this.

Meanwhile what I'm trying to do and think it's quite possible is just stop the playback if it would not work, so you could just press again and play.

I'm trying to figure out a way to call a stop function from android media codec, once I figure this out this could be a temporary fix until nvidia does it.

If you need any further logfiles (for nvidia), please tell me what you need exactly.

The stop function may be a good workaround for the case that the first file start fails. --> But what happens then? Do you want to reset a buffer/cache/whatever? Why should the file work the next start?  

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
(2021-01-10, 21:05)rexian Wrote: BTW, I got the issue with P7 FEL sample as well. Is that a good one?

Which issue do you mean? The faulty start or wrong colors?

Regards Hoppel

(2021-01-11, 02:37)hoppel118 Wrote:
(2021-01-10, 23:34)fandangos Wrote: I would rather use a full disc remux to test this.

If you need any further logfiles (for nvidia), please tell me what you need exactly.

The stop function may be a good workaround for the case that the first file start fails. --> But what happens then? Do you want to reset a buffer/cache/whatever? Why should the file work the next start?  

Regards Hoppel

Because I've found exactly where the problem starts.
It starts when filling the input buffer, if you stop there, press stop and start a new file it will play. I've tested here but only if you stop at the input buffer.

So with what I'm working here it might be possible to just stop the playback.
I also can disable video buffer when this happens, you will see the timeline, can move back and forth and stop and when you play again it will work.

But I'm thinking about something automatic.
If it fails at the input buffer, stop playback and press on the file again and it should start.

That's what I'm thinking about, no promises.
OK, that sounds really good. Let's see how your next build works. I am ready for further testing. Wink

Thank you for all of the hard work you investigate here.

Regards Hoppel

Hello,
i have the non-Pro Shield TV 2019.
The non-Pro Shield TV 2019 only supports 32-bit apps.
Can you make available a 32-bit version?
Thank you very much
Ok, this is the best I can do...

This does not entirely fix the shield freezing BUT it should not crash or freeze anymore. 

I have reverted back the timeout to main kodi values because as we noticed there's no difference. 

What happens now is, if Kodi would freeze or not be able to play the content, it will just stop. 
When this happens, you are able to press play again and it should play without any issues.

You can choose whatever settings you like

Link here for testing:
https://mega.nz/file/bYtFXArZ#q_EbkogPgB...oigPA7-iXg

Code added here:
https://github.com/fandangos/Kodi-HDR-Ed...7e5f1f5a1b

@deejay59 
I believe someone might be able to compile a 32bits version since the code is public. 
My build enviroment is filled with the 64bits version.

Let me know if this works.
@fandangos Thanks for your "workaround" build.

It seems to work as intended. Instead of freezing Kodi, playback just stops and you can try to play the file again.

When switching between the various demo files, I sometimes got into a state where either the colors were off (purple/green) or the picture just stayed black with the sound playing. Only way to fix it was to restart the Shield or switch DV off and on.

However, when trying some "real" P7 mkv rips the colors always seem to be right and sometimes you just need a few tries to get the movie started.
Hi @fandangos

thank you so much! I made some further tests with real movies and your latest build.

This is an amazing workaround. I didn’t had to do any HDMI reset, Shield or Kodi restart. It’s the most stable version ever. I only checked real movies. No tests with files which profile-/file-combination does not exist in real life. Wink

Here you find my test results:
  • deinstalled your Kodi build
  • installed your Kodi build

1st test with Kodi default settings (changed nothing)

P7FEL-23.976-AC3.mkv
  • started the P7FEL file, played it 11secs, stopped it, waited 3secs,
  • restarted the P7FEL file, played it 11secs, stopped it, waited 3secs,
  • repeated the test with the same file
It was possible to play the file 50 times with 4 faulty starts
  • faulty start after 3 tries: 2 restarts before the file played successful again
  • faulty start after 5 tries: 1 restart before the file played successful again
  • faulty start after 31 tries: 1 restarts before the file played successful again

P7MEL-23.976-AC3.mkv
  • started the P7MEL file, played it 11secs, stopped it, waited 3secs,
  • restarted the P7MEL file, played it 11secs, stopped it, waited 3secs,
It was possible to play the file 50 times with 6 faulty starts
  • faulty start after 2 tries: 1 restarts before the file played successful again
  • faulty start after 3 tries: 1 restart before the file played successful again
  • faulty start after 18 tries: 1 restart before the file played successful again
  • faulty start after 26 tries: 1 restart before the file played successful again
  • faulty start after 33 tries: 1 restart before the file played successful again
  • faulty start after 43 tries: 1 restart before the file played successful again

P7MEL-59.940-TrueHD.mkv
  • started the P7MEL file, played it 11secs, stopped it, waited 3secs,
  • restarted the P7MEL file, played it 11secs, stopped it, waited 3secs,
It was possible to play the file 50 times with 3 faulty starts
  • faulty start after 8 tries: 2 restarts before the file played successful again
  • faulty start after 41 tries: 1 restart before the file played successful again

P7FEL-23.976-AC3.mkv / P7MEL-23.976-AC3.mkv / P7MEL-59.940-TrueHD.mkv alternately
  • started the P7MEL-23.976 file, played it 11secs, stopped it, waited 3secs
  • started the P7MEL-59.940 file, played it 11secs, stopped it, waited 3secs
  • repeated the test with the three files alternately
It was possible to play the files 50 times with 4 faulty starts
  • faulty start after 18 tries: 1 restarts before the file played successful again
  • faulty start after 30 tries: 1 restart before the file played successful again
  • faulty start after 35 tries: 1 restart before the file played successful again
  • faulty start after 45 tries: 1 restart before the file played successful again

2nd test with Kodi fully configured (adjust refresh rate on start / stop, resolution 3840x2160p, refresh rate 50.00, refresh delay off, whitelist 4k only -> without half rates, allow double refresh rates active, audio 5.1, passthrough enabled)

P7FEL-23.976-AC3.mkv / P7MEL-23.976-AC3.mkv / P7MEL-59.940-TrueHD.mkv alternately
  • started the P7MEL-23.976 file, played it 11secs, stopped it, waited 3secs
  • started the P7MEL-59.940 file, played it 11secs, stopped it, waited 3secs
  • repeated the test with the three files alternately
It was possible to play the files 50 times with 4 faulty starts
  • faulty start after 3 tries: 1 restarts before the file played successful again
  • faulty start after 19 tries: 1 restart before the file played successful again
  • faulty start after 40 tries: 1 restart before the file played successful again
  • faulty start after 48 tries: 1 restart before the file played successful again

Conclusion

It’s still sporadic and I can’t find a reproducability. But for the moment I can live with that. Very nice! Wink

BUT: I played my three movies for some minutes and I recognized some micro stuttering. Refresh rate changes work as expected. My TV shows the correct refresh rates. I also tried different refresh rate delays, but it didn't help. This was also recognized by different users in the German Kodinerds Community some days ago. I scanned the DV thread there for the first post that mentioned this issue and it was maybe introduced with the following build:

kodiapp-arm64-v8a-debug-test15.apk -> you shared the build in the following post: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3000264

Maybe there is something you can undo.

Regards Hoppel

Glad you guys liked the new build.

About the micro stuttering:
I've seen the comments in kodinerds. This has to do with my last attempt (the one before today's build).
In that buil I have removed the reset function to see if that makes any difference, it didn't.

So in this latest build here reset is back.
Actually this latest build is like you see in my github.
It just adds those 3 lines of code on top of the same code we had since mkv dolby vision started working with Kodi.

It'd basically default.
So there's no reason for stuttering.
The comments in Kodi nerds were reffering to a mistake I made. This is removed in this build.

Now we need to gather data to give nvidia about this and hope for a firmware fix.

I need to know, the problems we have:
Does it happens in exoplayer? Emby? Plex?
(2021-01-12, 03:18)fandangos Wrote: About the micro stuttering:
I've seen the comments in kodinerds. This has to do with my last attempt (the one before today's build).
In that buil I have removed the reset function to see if that makes any difference, it didn't.

It just adds those 3 lines of code on top of the same code we had since mkv dolby vision started working with Kodi.

It'd basically default.
The comments in Kodi nerds were reffering to a mistake I made. This is removed in this build.

So, you say, it should already work with the build I tested?

I didn’t recognize this micro stuttering with your first builds. So there should be something different.

I saved all your builds and can check again if that really was the case with your first builds or which build introduced it.

(2021-01-12, 03:18)fandangos Wrote: Now we need to gather data to give nvidia about this and hope for a firmware fix.

Can you please describe what you need for nvidia exactly? Kodi debug log, logcat, both?

(2021-01-12, 03:18)fandangos Wrote: I need to know, the problems we have:
Does it happens in exoplayer? Emby? Plex?

The problems we have with profile 7 or with all profiles?

In the table of that comment you find my emby test results for the „faulty start“ issue: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/18965#...-753479715

I didn’t check what happens in Emby when reproducing the different described issues (black screen, wrong colors, Kodi UI stalls)

Regards Hoppel

Hi all,

I want to test this as well.
I have Shield Pro with LG CX OLED and using Kodi.
What's the current status? What does Nvidia need to fix with Shield for DV to work with Kodi?
(2021-01-11, 23:01)fandangos Wrote: Ok, this is the best I can do...

This does not entirely fix the shield freezing BUT it should not crash or freeze anymore. 

I have reverted back the timeout to main kodi values because as we noticed there's no difference. 

What happens now is, if Kodi would freeze or not be able to play the content, it will just stop. 
When this happens, you are able to press play again and it should play without any issues.

You can choose whatever settings you like

Link here for testing:
https://mega.nz/file/bYtFXArZ#q_EbkogPgB...oigPA7-iXg

Code added here:
https://github.com/fandangos/Kodi-HDR-Ed...7e5f1f5a1b

@deejay59 
I believe someone might be able to compile a 32bits version since the code is public. 
My build enviroment is filled with the 64bits version.

Let me know if this works.

Thank you for work, i try compile in 32 bits environnement
(2021-01-12, 03:18)fandangos Wrote: About the micro stuttering:

It'd basically default.
I tested a few MKV rips of full movies and did not notice any micro stuttering on my setup (the text scrolling at the start of "Star Wars The Last Jedi" is a good test, but I also checked a couple of panning shots from LOTR:FOTR).

My Kodi settings are: Adjust display refresh rate = "On start/stop", Sync playback to display = "Off", Resolution = "3840x2160P" and Refresh rate = "59.94", Delay after change of refresh rate = "3.5 seconds".

With these settings, my TV switches to 24p mode as it should.

Thanks again for all your hard work @fandangos. This build is very usable until the "real" issue is fixed (which probably needs to be done by Nvidia).
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision0