Solved Xonfluence causing Kodi infinite reboot loop?
Hi everyone,

A bizarre and annoying problem has me stumped - any help would be greatly appreciated!

Upon restarting today, Kodi went into the dreaded infinite reboot loop (where the start-up animation would play over and over again, without launching the program).

I trawled through the forums and started experimenting. First, I deleted the entire Database folder, which removed the reboot loop. I then spent ages reinstalling my addons and rescanning the entire library, only to discovery that upon restarting, Kodi once again went into the infinite reboot loop (arghhh!). Then I saw a suggestion to delete just the Addon db file (Addons27.db) and after restarting to simply reinstall the addons. Deleting the db file also got rid of the reboot loop, but as soon as I reinstalled Xonfluence and restarted Kodi the reboot loop was back (double arghh!). Not installing Xonfluence and restarting under the default Estuary skin does not generate the reboot loop.

I therefore believe I might have narrowed the problem to Xonfluence itself. 

I should mention that I am a huge fan of Xonfluence and am very keen to stick with it. I read that it is not yet officially compatible with the latest Kodi version 19 (Matrix), but in any case I am running 18.9 Leia, so presumably outdated compatibility should not be an issue. I have not had any upgrades, installed new addons or made any recent changes to the system.

I am simply trying to get back to Xonfluence starting and running normally, without getting stuck in infinite reboot loops.

Here are my full system detials and the log:

LibreELEC 9.2.6 (kernel: Linux 5.1.16)
Kodi 18.9.0 Git: 18.9-Leia

debug log

Many thanks in advance for your help!
I should add that Xonfluence seems to be working fine on my other two machines.

Unless there are obvious errors to be fixed evident in the log, sounds like a complete reinstall might be required?

I can get started on that, painful though it will be, but it would be great to know what broke it in the first place, to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Rename the current profile folder (.kodi) to something else, and reboot LibreELEC. Install the Xonflence skin only (and nothing else), and see what happens. Then install your other add-ons one by one, and see if there is a change.
(2021-01-13, 15:03)Klojum Wrote: Rename the current profile folder (.kodi) to something else, and reboot LibreELEC. Install the Xonflence skin only (and nothing else), and see what happens. Then install your other add-ons one by one, and see if there is a change.

Thanks for the reply Klojum! I'll try it now and report back.
(2021-01-13, 15:03)Klojum Wrote: Rename the current profile folder (.kodi) to something else, and reboot LibreELEC. Install the Xonflence skin only (and nothing else), and see what happens. Then install your other add-ons one by one, and see if there is a change.
N00b question, but I cannot seem to find the current profile folder (.kodi) - would that be the equivalent of the Userdata folder?

I don't see the (.kodi) folder at the root level of either SSH or Windows Explorer (screenshots attached)...

SSH

Win Explorer
(2021-01-13, 18:59)slash13 Wrote: I don't see the (.kodi) folder at the root level of either SSH or Windows Explorer (screenshots attached)...

Here is a pro tip: in Linux, folders and files starting with a . dot, are hidden... Smile

So if you want to do a file listing, use for example in a SSH/terminal session ls -al to include all hidden items in the current directory.
(2021-01-13, 19:33)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-01-13, 18:59)slash13 Wrote: I don't see the (.kodi) folder at the root level of either SSH or Windows Explorer (screenshots attached)...

Here is a pro tip: in Linux, folders and files starting with a . dot, are hidden... Smile

So if you want to do a file listing, use for example in a SSH/terminal session ls -al to include all hidden items in the current directory.
... and the blind shall see!

Thanks for that Klojum.

I found and renamed the (.kodi) folder, restarted LibreELEC and reinstalled Xonfluence. No reboot loop at the moment!

I guess this means the issue was caused by an addon somewehere along the way?

The thing is, I don't really use many addons at all, it's all very basic stuff like the Movie Extras addon or subtitle services. And certainly nothing was added or amended recently that might have broken the original configuration. Bizarre why it would just crash so randomly and fatally.

Anyway, what would be the best way to proceed now? Obviously all my settings, Library etc are currently gone. Should I delete the new (.kodi) folder and rename the original folder back to what it was, or would that risk bringing back the incompatibility? If it's the latter, then should I copy over only certain subfolders from the old into the new (.kodi) folder, e.g. the ones related to the Library and skin configurations?
If you're handy enough you could pick the necessary files, and copy/move them from the old profile in the new one. Including the local database(s) for your media collection. There is still the possibility that you will copy the item that activates a boot loop... So a step-by-step approach is the best, I guess.

Renaming back the whole previous profile will likely trigger the reboot loop again.
(2021-01-13, 21:24)Klojum Wrote: If you're handy enough you could pick the necessary files, and copy/move them from the old profile in the new one. Including the local database(s) for your media collection. There is still the possibility that you will copy the item that activates a boot loop... So a step-by-step approach is the best, I guess.

Renaming back the whole previous profile will likely trigger the reboot loop again.

Thanks Klojum. I'll definitely try to stick to a step-by-step approach.

Is there a source I could use to find out more about the structure of the (.kodi) folder and which particular files I should copy over?
(2021-01-13, 21:38)slash13 Wrote: Is there a source I could use to find out more about the structure of the (.kodi) folder and which particular files I should copy over?

Hmm.. Not really. If you can browse through the various subfolders, it should be all self-explanatory.

In general, the files in the userdata root folder should be okay: sources.xml, passwords.xml , guisettings.xml.
The Database folder: MyVideos116.db, MyMusic72.db, Textures13.db .
The complete Thumbnails folder.
(2021-01-13, 22:07)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-01-13, 21:38)slash13 Wrote: Is there a source I could use to find out more about the structure of the (.kodi) folder and which particular files I should copy over?

Hmm.. Not really. If you can browse through the various subfolders, it should be all self-explanatory.

In general, the files in the userdata root folder should be okay: sources.xml, passwords.xml , guisettings.xml.
The Database folder: MyVideos116.db, MyMusic72.db, Textures13.db .
The complete Thumbnails folder.

Thanks again for all your help!
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xonfluence causing Kodi infinite reboot loop?0