DAB Radio AddOn (RTL-SDR)
Hi there,

I was looking for a DAB PVR addon for Kodi and I have surprisingly found none. So I am developing my own :-) I have a library that is capable of DAB reception using cheap RTL-SDR USB sticks. I believe it should be possible to run it on RPi2 or better. 
I have started from pvr.demo addon https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.demo and I can play audio already. I have several problems with DAB data and I would really appreciate some help. 

My idea for addon functionality following:
- addon contains DAB library and provides audio stream and additional data (no client-server model)
- play DAB+ (AAC) and DAB (MP2) services, no support for data services like journaline, TPEG, etc. apart from functionality below
- possible to scan for DAB/+ services, to store all found automatically, possiblity to mark favorites 
- service list should display service name as broadcasted, service ID and ensemble and channel if possible
- after choosing service, it starts to play audio and slide show (SLS) is displayed together with dynamic label (DL) 
- nice to have: information about audio coding, protection level, SNR, etc.

From all the features above I only have audio playback (decoding done by addon due to problems with AAC 960 transform not supported by ffmpeg)

I was looking for some API suitable for slideshow (SLS) and dynamic label (DL) and I have only found some kind of support in UECP (RDS) decoder:

/// DAB
#define UECP_DAB_DYN_LABEL_CMD 0x48 // DAB: Dynamic Label command
#define UECP_DAB_DYN_LABEL_MSG 0xAA // DAB: Dynamic Label message (DL)

Since this is the first time I am dealing with Kodi addon development, I would really appreciate some guidance what API would be suitable for that or in general some hints how to integrate DAB functionality in a meanigful way.

Thanks for any hint, note, criticism,...
Most digital radio stations are available over TV broadcast channels and/or internet players, so you might be addressing a niche requirement. Best of luck, though.

Andy
Not DAB but Alwin Esch (@alwinus) maintains an FM radio version which may help. He's also been involved with the UECP (RDS) decoder work.

https://github.com/AlwinEsch/pvr.rtl.radiofm
(2021-03-18, 16:40)shanemeagher Wrote: Not DAB but Alwin Esch (@alwinus) maintains an FM radio version which may help. He's also been involved with the UECP (RDS) decoder work.

https://github.com/AlwinEsch/pvr.rtl.radiofm

Thanks for the hint, I know about that project. I was checking public sources for UECP standard and it seems it is mostly for RDS, almost not suitable for DAB. It would practically mean to extend it in KODI to support features required for DAB data services.
Any luck with this DAB add-on?
Can you share what you have so far?
(2021-06-07, 00:22)EmanueleC Wrote: Any luck with this DAB add-on?
Can you share what you have so far?

Hi, sorry for late reply. I was not working on that for a long time. Actually I have created a very basic radio based on Kodi template (only XML based service list) but I have decided not to continue with that because there is limited API support for DAB features in Kodi API. At the moment it can only play a service from manually created service list and that's it. No band scan, no features like SLS or DL. Maybe I will continue with this projact later but for the moment I have decided to focus on standalone DAB application for PC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DAB Radio AddOn (RTL-SDR)0