• 21(current)
Broken Locast
(2021-08-31, 00:16)KingP1n Wrote: I'm was setting up Locast and now I'm seeing the "invalid captcha".
Same here
(2021-08-31, 04:14)barney63 Wrote:
(2021-08-31, 00:16)KingP1n Wrote: I'm was setting up Locast and now I'm seeing the "invalid captcha".
Same here
FYI: seems Locast has been shut down. Got this email today.

"
Locast Nation
As a non-profit, Locast was designed from the very beginning to operate in accordance with the strict letter of the law, but in response to the court’s recent rulings, with which we respectfully disagree, we are hereby suspending operations, effective immediately.  
Thank you."
Too bad!
(2021-09-02, 16:00)pixel8tor Wrote:
(2021-08-31, 04:14)barney63 Wrote:
Same here

"
Locast Nation
As a non-profit, Locast was designed from the very beginning to operate in accordance with the strict letter of the law, but in response to the court’s recent rulings, with which we respectfully disagree, we are hereby suspending operations, effective immediately.  
Thank you."
Too bad!

From my understanding, they were not shut down; rather they have to rework their "donation" adverts due to court rulings.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
This is too bad. I hope they can find a way back. No telling how many lives/injuries they might save because you don't need a dang antenna on the roof.

Sure hope it's not over......
(2021-09-02, 16:54)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2021-09-02, 16:00)pixel8tor Wrote:
(2021-08-31, 04:14)barney63 Wrote: Same here

"
Locast Nation
Thank you."
Too bad!

From my understanding, they were not shut down; rather they have to rework their "donation" adverts due to court rulings.
Sorry but I think you're mistaken. Reworking their "donation" adverts was last weeks news. Now it's ". . . suspending operations, effective immediately." Go to the site and read it for yourself. Either way, it doesn't work any more, so the semantics really don't matter.
(2021-09-02, 18:04)pixel8tor Wrote:
(2021-09-02, 16:54)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2021-09-02, 16:00)pixel8tor Wrote: FYI: seems Locast has been shut down. Got this email today.

"
Locast Nation
Thank you."
Too bad!

Sorry but I think you're mistaken. Reworking their "donation" adverts was last weeks news. Now it's ". . . suspending operations, effective immediately." Go to the site and read it for yourself. Either way, it doesn't work any more, so the semantics really don't matter.

Gotcha, I wasn't aware things escalated past that point... I'll wait a month for news, if nothing changes I'll mark the plugin as broken and close this thread.
Thx for the update.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Locast Suspends Service as Legal Battle with Broadcasters Continues
Jess Barnes cordcutternews.com September 2, 2021

In a message for users this morning, Locast announced that it is suspending operations, effective immediately.

The message says “As a non-profit, Locast was designed from the very beginning to operate in accordance with the strict letter of the law, but in response to the court’s recent rulings, with which we respectfully disagree, we are hereby suspending operations, effective immediately.”

The shut down comes after a ruling against Locast in the case in which U.S. District Court Judge Louis Stanton wrote that income from the $5 donations required for uninterrupted viewing was used for expanding the service, which isn’t permitted under an exemption to the Copyright Act.

Locast’s attorney R. David Hosp, Partner Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe responded with a statement, saying “We are disappointed in the ruling today and disagree with its conclusions and reasoning. Our client is in the process of evaluating the decision and formulating next steps. Locast provides a valuable service to its over 3 million users who are otherwise unable to access the over-the-air broadcasts to which they are entitled by virtue of their location or economic circumstances. Our client remains committed to its mission of delivering free, local broadcast TV service to all Americans, and particularly for those consumers who can’t afford pay-TV services like cable, satellite, or streaming, or who can’t get their local broadcast channels using an over-the-air antenna.”

After the ruling, Locast announced that it would no longer interrupt programming to ask users for a monthly donation. “As you probably know, the federal district court in the Southern District of New York issued a ruling in the case brought against Locast by the big media companies.  The court concluded that by interrupting programming to ask users for donations, and by suspending those interruptions based on whether a user makes contributions, Locast actually was charging a fee, not merely seeking a voluntary contribution,” Locast told users in an email.
I think the key word here is "suspend".

So maybe they'll be back....who knows but I wouldn't toss the addon in the trash just yet...
You had to know the networks would find a loophole and what they found was pretty damning.  But I also seem to recall reading about the cities of Sioux City Iowa and Rapid City SD playing a hand in getting Locast to come to them and not vice versa.  I'm going on memory with that and could be wrong but I think they might have something to say about the ruling.

I thought Locast had a pretty good chance until I heard what they got nailed for, that will be hard to come back from but they do have allies with the service providers who don't want to pay the giant carriage fees the networks want to charge.  AT&T had gifted Locast 500k in the early days and the networks tried to make that look dodgy.  The big service providers could back Locast, we'll see, but losing that first one really puts them behind the 8 ball.

From Wikipedia

On September 2, 2021, after announcing it would no longer interrupt service to request donations, Locast suspended operations. The Electronic Frontier Foundation said the ruling "demonstrates once again how giant entertainment companies use copyright to control when, where, and how people can receive their local TV broadcasts, and drive people to buy expensive pay-TV services to get their local news and sports. We are disappointed that the court is enabling this callous profiteering that tramples on Congress’s intent to ensure local communities have access to news that’s important to people regardless of their ability to pay. The court made a mistake, and Locast is considering its options."

The broadcasters called the ruling "a victory for copyright law, vindicating our claim that Locast is illegally infringing copyrights in broadcast television content in violation of federal law" and said they would seek a permanent injunction.

Locast plans to appeal the ruling to a three-judge panel in the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, but does not intend to re-start the service.
Just got me thinking, as the infrastructure is already in place for 55 percent of viewers in the US, can a new entity take it over and clear up the donation part that gets rid of the nag and allow for people just to make voluntary contributions like PBS.  Maybe expansion to new cities can be funded by the citizens of the cities themselves like I believe was done in Iowa and SD
Kill Locast right when football season is starting.

Yeah, that sounds exactly like something the corporate swine would do.
Is OTA an option for you?
My antenna will get two TV stations on a "good" day. Unfortunately, I live in a place where it rains 9 months out of the year, so most of those "good" days do not happen during football season. Fortunately, the two stations I do get under those circumstances are the CBS & Fox affiliates, so that covers most of the NFL games. Supposedly Peacock is going to carry the NBC Sunday Night game live, so that will be covered. Biggest loss with no Locast will be whatever college football games are carried on ABC, which is completely impossible to get with an antenna here.
A couple hundred years ago. my father had a radio/television business and part of that was antenna installation.  He often had customers telling him they couldn't get a station and he'd go to their house and find either their antenna, cabling or both were junk.

I don't know anything about your situation but you owe it to yourself to investigate an optimal antenna setup if you already haven't.  This guy has a very good YouTube channel

How Reliable is Over The Air TV with an Antenna?
Ten Ways to Improve OTA TV Reception from an Installer
Antennas Direct is Giving Away Free Antennas to Former Locast Users
Jess Barnes cordcutternews.com Sep 03, 2021

While many Locast users are now losing access to their live, local channels, Antennas Direct is helping to soften the blow of the streaming service shutting down. The company is giving away 1,000 antennas and offering a discount code for those who want to purchase an antenna from their site.

The first 1,000 people who email [email protected] with a screenshot or photo of your letter from Locast announcing that they are suspending operations, along with their name, phone number, and address, will get a ClearStream Eclipse TV antenna.

If you aren’t one of the lucky 1,000 or if you’re looking for a different antenna model, you can shop the antenna selection on Antennas Direct and use the coupon code LOCAST30 for 30% off of your purchase of eligible antennas and accessories through September 13.
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Locast1