Weird last letter corruption on screen - Last letter is diagonally sliced and corrupt
Hi all,

I'm having a weird problem on Kodi.

I hadn't used my laptop connected to the TV for months.

I turned it on tonight to use Kodi and noticed that the last letter in most fields (some are ok) has corruption.

The corruption looks like the last letter is diagonally ok on one half but corrupt on the other half.

I've tried upgrading to the latest v17.6 version thinking maybe my v17.3 version had corrupted but it made no difference.

I've also tried changing skins and downloading other skins in case the skin was corrupt or the font was corrupt.

I noticed that the skins I downloaded and the default included skins seem to be Arial based so I am still thinking that the Arial font might have something to do with the problem?

No other program, eg Firefox etc seem to be showing problems, it just seems to be Kodi.

I've attached a photo to demonstrate what is happening.

Can anyone suggest something to try?

It's not a font issue, as the two 's' charctersshow up with only the end version corrupt. Not a skin issue, as you have tried others skins, while it is not impossible to be a Kodi font issue (look in the media folder) it's odd. I suggest a portable Kodi install (no extras) and set the log, let's see if that's the cure. https://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable_mode Confuseduspect some video driver issue.
Similar issue here... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=332826
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks for your post PatK.

I installed a portable version of Kodi and it still happens in the portable version.

I also tested opening a TV channel and the transmission is showing perfect with no corruption.

I also tested all the screensavers (Really Slick Screensavers) but they all ran fine without corruption.

I also ran the Windows 10 game Candy Crush Saga and it ran without corruption.

I also reinstalled the video card drivers but the problem remains.

It just seems to be the text in Kodi that is having a problem, very odd.

You state "while it is not impossible to be a Kodi font issue (look in the media folder)".

What can I do to investigate the font possibility? Is there a font in the media folder? Is this in Program Files/Kodi?
Thanks for your post Karellen.

I read through the thread and it is a similar problem however there have only been minor Windows updates since it was working last (the last time I turned on the computer to use Kodi was about 3 months ago, but it was after the last major Windows 10 update and Kodi was working without any problems).

This computer is also an old Dual Core laptop, running Windows 10 and with an Intel Mobile 965 Express Display however it has been working fine till last night.

When I installed Windows 10 on this laptop I finally found a driver that works with Windows 10 as Intel officially did not support Windows 10 with this model video adapter and the video has not skipped a beat, until now.

I have reinstalled the driver in case it had gotten corrupt but the problem remains.

It is very odd, it is only the Kodi text that is a problem. Everything I have tested (read my prior post) is working perfectly.

And it is odd that it worked up until last time I used Kodi and now the problem has appeared with nothing changing except for some minor Windows updates. If the driver was replaced by a Windows update, then by me reinstalling the driver it should have eliminated that as a possible reason.

Very confused!
I doubt this has anything to do with fonts.  I've been trying to learn font handling in Kodi (not there yet).  Basic process in in GUIFontTTF.  Kodi uses the Freetype2 open source library to access trutype fonts.  For the most part I think Kodi sends a unicode codepoint to freetype and freetype returns the character.  I don't know how special unicode codepoints like non-spacing characters, variation selectors, etc are handled.  But this issue seems to be with strictly ascii codepoints so that shouldn't be involved.

Kodi renders the characters into a texture of character lines after applying size / aspect /color/ oblique (italic) / linespacing.  It also has to deal with scrolling.  The texture then has to be rendered into DX (for windows) vertices to be presented.  I assume that something in this step is where the problem lies.

scott s.
Thanks for your post Scott S

I agree with you that it is not a font problem as I tried another skin with a different font and the problem still occurs.

I just tried installing a portable install of the latest nightly build of Kodi 18 and the problem is still there.
It has to be some kind of Issue with how the DirectX Rendering is done.

Spent some time yesterday going throug some Frames with apitrace and RenderDoc, trying to figure out what causes this corruption.

Its not the Font itself. I can tell you that. Its the Mesh the Font is rendered on. When I turn on Wireframe on the Pixelshader that does the Font Rendering I can see the corruption on the Mesh itself. 

But thats where my current DirectX Debugging expertice ends. Still learning. But I think this is something that could be fixed in Kodi's Code after all. Wich I will try to do. Its a nice learning experience.
Hi, I'm facing the same issue, Did you find a Fix, I'm thinking it has something to do with AMD graphics card. Please help
(2021-05-14, 14:39)PlayNoob69 Wrote: has something to do with AMD graphics card
Yes, the solve for some seemed to be a gfx card driver change. What AMD gfx card is it?
I have a RX 6900 XT using Adrenalin 21.4.1 and I've seen this with every driver I've used.
The fellas here might be of assistance, I'm told that some of the support staff for AMD haunt these portals. As a wild shot, might want to re-do, check your ClearType features in the o/s

Going over some older messages->"problem showed itself after I installed the Windows 10 1803 release.  It was working with the prior Windows 10 1709 release." re-installation of Windows 10 1709 was the fix for one user.
(2021-05-16, 19:46)HRPuffnstuff Wrote: I have a RX 6900 XT using Adrenalin 21.4.1 and I've seen this with every driver I've used.

I just went from a 5500xt (no font issue) to a 6700xt and now the font issue appears. 

Doing a clean install of Windows on a new build soon so will see if that helps (probably won't).
(2021-08-17, 05:12)henkeli Wrote: I just went from a 5500xt (no font issue) to a 6700xt and now the font issue appears. 
Thanks for that report.
Same thing here, it's driving me crazy. Had a RX5700XT no problem, then a RX550 no problem.

As soon as I install the RX6700XT the same thing happens to me.

I hope it gets solved with new drivers whenever they come out. I'll be installing Windows 11 in a months time so it hopefully works there.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Weird last letter corruption on screen - Last letter is diagonally sliced and corrupt0