• 11(current)
Atmos Audio Dropouts with UHD-BD
I tested Free Guy as well and the Atmos dropouts are indeed fixed, nice work! Smile

There's also another UHD that has been troublesome with audio dropouts, the Japanese Akira UHD. This UHD has a 192kHz 24-bit Dolby TrueHD track. This track has always stuttered a lot in Kodi. I decided to try it out again with this new Kodi build, and the dropouts do seem to be less severe. However, they are still there and pretty bad. I thought I'd mention it, because I felt it might be related.

I'm on Windows by the way, not Android.
At this point I think it's safe to say that DD+ Atmos is fixed but there are still dropouts with TrueHD Atmos audio.
Akira has 192khz true hd. Most blurays are 48khz sampling rate.

I suspect that the 192khz is the main source of the problem given it’s quite rare in the bluray world.
(2021-10-29, 10:21)Hitcher Wrote: At this point I think it's safe to say that DD+ Atmos is fixed but there are still dropouts with TrueHD Atmos audio.

I'm running 19.2/19.3 on Windows 10.

I have now watched a few movies (Remuxes with TrueHD Atmos).

So the "big" dropouts have been fixed in the usual suspects that I knew of in the set spots. e.g. Zootopia - Train scene.  Frozen II, Elsa singing initially in the dark.

What I have noticed now is what I can only describe as micro drop pouts.  It isn't very often, and not like it was before, but the sound will cut for a micro second but not really stop.  Zootopia, ironically, is still in the train scene, but right before big droppouts used to occur when the snow explodes right when she enters the winter zone, it now has a repeatable micro cutout. My kids are also watching Monsters University now and I can hear the sound microclip every so often.

Again - it is orders of magnitude better than it was before.
(2021-10-30, 15:34)Deam Wrote:
(2021-10-29, 10:21)Hitcher Wrote: At this point I think it's safe to say that DD+ Atmos is fixed but there are still dropouts with TrueHD Atmos audio.

So the "big" dropouts have been fixed in the usual suspects that I knew of in the set spots. e.g. Zootopia - Train scene.  Frozen II, Elsa singing initially in the dark.

What I have noticed now is what I can only describe as micro drop pouts.  It isn't very often, and not like it was before, but the sound will cut for a micro second but not really stop.  Zootopia, ironically, is still in the train scene, but right before big droppouts used to occur when the snow explodes right when she enters the winter zone, it now has a repeatable micro cutout. My kids are also watching Monsters University now and I can hear the sound microclip every so often.

Try the the test file posted here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3067831
(2021-10-30, 15:54)balkerman Wrote:
(2021-10-30, 15:34)Deam Wrote:

Try the the test file posted here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3067831
Those appear to be for Android (not Windows 10 as noted) - Yes, I acknowledge this is the Android subforum yet seems to be the main spot for this in addition the Linux thread. 

Also just to clarify, microcut I am still referring to audio/sound.  Not stutter in the video.
(2021-10-30, 16:12)Deam Wrote:
(2021-10-30, 15:54)balkerman Wrote:
(2021-10-30, 15:34)Deam Wrote: I'm running 19.2/19.3 on Windows 10.

Those appear to be for Android (not Windows 10 as noted) - Yes, I acknowledge this is the Android subforum yet seems to be the main spot for this in addition the Linux thread. 

Also just to clarify, microcut I am still referring to audio/sound.  Not stutter in the video.

Please create a new post on the Windows forum, as all issues on Windows were thought to have been fixed, the issues being discussed here are Andoid only Although it may sound like similar symptoms it might be a totally different underlying issue so posting here could end up causing confusion.

[edit] Also make sure to have a log file ready see Log_file/Easy (wiki) when creating a new post.
(2021-10-30, 16:25)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2021-10-30, 16:12)Deam Wrote:
(2021-10-30, 15:54)balkerman Wrote: Try the the test file posted here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3067831

Please create a new post on the Windows forum, as all issues on Windows were thought to have been fixed, the issues being discussed here are Andoid only Although it may sound like similar symptoms it might be a totally different underlying issue so posting here could end up causing confusion.

[edit] Also make sure to have a log file ready see Log_file/Easy (wiki) when creating a new post.
This issue is clearly not platform-specific, is it? Maybe it's a better idea to move this thread to the "OS independant/ other" subforum instead of creating separate threads for all platforms?
(2021-10-30, 19:50)Aemstel Wrote: This issue is clearly not platform-specific, is it? Maybe it's a better idea to move this thread to the "OS independant/ other" subforum instead of creating separate threads for all platforms?

If I understand correctly, what @jjd-uk is trying to say is perhaps @Deam's issue is different from this one, although the effect is similar and it may not have any relationship. So it is better to open a specific thread in Windows.

Note that this patch (the one that is common on all platforms) has also been applied to LibreELEC and CoreELEC distributions and no one has reported any problems: https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/truehd-...te/7569/46 (AFAIK).

Android still has some problem but it is not with the audio but video stuttering.

Until proven otherwise the main issue of audio dropouts in TrueHD Atmos due to frames > 2560 bytes is fully 100% resolved.

Of course people can continue to have audio dropout issues for other reasons: e.g. buffering, lack of bandwidth, corrupted files, bad RAM, bad HDMI cables....
(2021-10-30, 21:26)jogal Wrote:
(2021-10-30, 19:50)Aemstel Wrote: This issue is clearly not platform-specific, is it? Maybe it's a better idea to move this thread to the "OS independant/ other" subforum instead of creating separate threads for all platforms?

If I understand correctly, what @jjd-uk is trying to say is perhaps @Deam's issue is different from this one, although the effect is similar and it may not have any relationship. So it is better to open a specific thread in Windows.

Note that this patch (the one that is common on all platforms) has also been applied to LibreELEC and CoreELEC distributions and no one has reported any problems (AFAIK).

Android still has some problem but it is not with the audio but video stuttering.

Until proven otherwise the main issue of audio dropouts in TrueHD Atmos due to frames > 2560 bytes is fully 100% resolved.

Of course people can continue to have audio dropout issues for other reasons: e.g. buffering, lack of bandwidth, corrupted files, bad RAM, bad HDMI cables....

I will look into this and consider where to move this.

However, I would note as a prior commenter on this issue, it is not about files, ram, HDMI or otherwise in my instance as I am very familiar now with the files I have and how they sound like. 

Pre-fix Kodi had issues in very specific spots, but not others. 

DSPlayer version had no issues.

Post-Fix (19.2/19.3) fixed the big problems (i.e. audio cutting out glitching terribly in specific spots), but in my instance introduced smaller audio issues in different spots in the same files on the same system where there were no previous issues.

I will do further testing/research with other files to determine if it is file specific.

Note that this patch (the one that is common on all platforms) has also been applied to LibreELEC and CoreELEC distributions and no one has reported any problems (AFAIK).

What about the audio dropouts with the Akira 192kHz audio I mentioned? This also seems like a Kodi issue. It plays fine in certain other software players. Since the recent Kodi build seemed to make these dropouts less severe, I felt this might be related to the same "frames > 2560 bytes" problem. Not sure if that's correct. I could help troubleshoot if you'd like.
(2021-10-31, 00:01)Aemstel Wrote: What about the audio dropouts with the Akira 192kHz audio I mentioned?

Sorry I'm not interested in working on this (at least right now). As you have already pointed out, "Akira" uses a sampling rate of 192Khz instead of the standard 48Khz. This is the reason and not frames > 2560 bytes

Is it the same problem? NO
Is it a bug / not implemented in Kodi?  YES
I am interested in fixing it? NO
Is it going to fix one day? PROBABLY
Is it off topic in this thread? YES
(2021-10-31, 00:19)jogal Wrote:
(2021-10-31, 00:01)Aemstel Wrote: What about the audio dropouts with the Akira 192kHz audio I mentioned?

Sorry I'm not interested in working on this (at least right now). As you have already pointed out, "Akira" uses a sampling rate of 192Khz instead of the standard 48Khz. This is the reason and not frames > 2560 bytes

Is it the same problem? NO
Is it a bug / not implemented in Kodi?  YES
I am interested in fixing it? NO
Is it going to fix one day? PROBABLY
Is it off topic in this thread? YES
Ok. Thanks for your trouble and detailed reply. Your second point "Is it a bug / not implemented in Kodi?  YES" seems like the most important to me. I was offering to help troubleshoot this. But if you and the rest of team kodi have no interest in fixing this at this point, that's of course up to you. Sorry for derailing the thread. I just thought the issue might be related and we could tackle two bugs with one stone.
(2021-10-30, 23:50)Deam Wrote:

I will look into this and consider where to move this.

However, I would note as a prior commenter on this issue, it is not about files, ram, HDMI or otherwise in my instance as I am very familiar now with the files I have and how they sound like. 

Pre-fix Kodi had issues in very specific spots, but not others. 

DSPlayer version had no issues.

Post-Fix (19.2/19.3) fixed the big problems (i.e. audio cutting out glitching terribly in specific spots), but in my instance introduced smaller audio issues in different spots in the same files on the same system where there were no previous issues.

I will do further testing/research with other files to determine if it is file specific.

For Android users who happen to have Zootopia - I've identified one section in Zootopia, specifically at 10 minute and 47/48 second mark with a slight audio blip. I have tried two difference files now.  Again, the main large dropout that happened shortly after this is gone in the new version. Curious if anyone is able to test this out on other platforms.
Here's a sample of that part -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1182gl5newp64u...s.mkv?dl=0

Dropout occurs at about 12 seconds.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Atmos Audio Dropouts with UHD-BD0